Cyborg's Onscreen Portrayal

I gotta say Cyborg on JL was done right. On Doom Patrol I wanna gouge my eyes out. The DP version is cocky, arrogant and wtf is that excuse for facial hair? I think the major difference between JL and DP is his appearance, that is to say clothed, or unclothed. When I think of Cyborg, I think of Teen Titans cartoon. It’s just cyborg in his armor. In JL the clothing is kept to a minimum, but in DP it’s like they’re trying to make him into a fashion statement.

Honestly, I don’t see myself as a big Cyborg fan. But I pretty much always enjoy the character when he’s tragically written. In Young Justice, Justice League, and Doom Patrol I thought he was well done. He had good moments in Teen Titans too. I don’t gravitate to his comics though. I just want them to focus on the misery of the character and how his life will never be normal.

I agree. Ray Fisher absolutely nailed his role in Justice League. I’d wish they would move forward with his solo film because the character has so much potential.

No hate to Ray Fisher, but I’m liking doom patrol more. I grew up with teen titans and that version on cyborg. And because of that, this is the first time I feel like we are see cyborg again. Not just his tragic backstory. Dc has pushed this character so hard in the last few years that I was worried that he would lose what I loved about home from the cartoons. Cyborg gets to be funny again with this show. Play of of other characters like he was suppose to do with flash in JL. Be more then his tragic back story…
Got to agree about the fashion model angle though, especially the scene with him and Rita by the side of the pool in episode 3. The first time I see more of cyborgs body and I’m distracted by his fashion choice. Yeah, I agree with you on that one.

The irony with Cyborg’s character being coming across so much better in a tragic sense is that Titans was more of a moody show in which he would have fit right in to the downtrodden character-to-character interactions whereas Doom Patrol has become by it’s fourth episode more of a Shouting Patrol where the character-to-character interaction is hostile or argumentative; leaving the burdened form of Cyborg as a character something that could have been a nice contrast; except all he does is shout with everyone else that’s shouting.

I like ray fisher as Cyborg. But in JL they did him no justice. Also they said he’s no longer their priority right now he will no longer be on screen. Im talking about Cyborg.

I enjoyed Cyborg in Justice League, it’s a shame they aren’t including him in other movies. The humanity he brought to the team was much needed.

I’m not a huge fan of Cyborg, but I do really like his character and the roles he plays, but where the heck is some “BOO-YA!” Or is that just a teen titans cartoon thing?

@Doomsday987 That’s a Teen Titans thing

I dont find him cocky and arrogant. I think he’s trying to project confidence despite his fear and insecurity, both because that’s what his father expects and trained him for, and because he’s defaulted into the leadership position and he thinks it’s what the others need.

And personally I really like his civilian clothes. In retrospect I wonder why he didn’t wear them more in the comics. If he misses his humanity, it just makes sense.

2 Likes

Doomsday, that was just a Teen Titan cartoon thing. They did add one to JL as a wink to those fans. It’s kinda like COWABUNGA for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It never appeared in the books prior to the cartoon. It was an improve by the actor that stuck and became a “catchphrase” they could sell. But most think that that and pizza have been since the beginning.

Doomsday, that was just a Teen Titan cartoon thing. They did add one to JL as a wink to those fans. It’s kinda like COWABUNGA for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It never appeared in the books prior to the cartoon. It was an improve by the actor that stuck and became a “catchphrase” they could sell. But most think that that and pizza have been since the beginning.

Biff_pow, he even wears a tracksuit in Justice League.

1 Like

@csidet1971 and I loved it! Beast Kingdom even showed off a figure of the look, but I think it was canceled.