Current Wonder Woman Series Discussion Thread

Ah no worries, her son was Marvin, a junior superhero from back in the 60s Superfriends cartoon/comic.

Diana Prince is admittedly a bit of a long shot, I just figure if they are taking this long to build up Steve seeing someone, its going to really be a curve ball to surprise readers.

And yeah, its quite neat that we are getting Villainy Inc again. Im looking forward to seeing what they do.

3 Likes

Okay, thatā€™s why the animation style looked familiar! Iā€™ve only seen little clips here and there from Superfriends. Interesting stuff!

2 Likes

Yeah, the comic version of Superfriends established it to be a program run by the Justice League to train junior heroes in crime fighting as a sort of mentorship program.

But putting that aside, I just want to say im really loving all the story beats that are building up in Wonder Woman with this current run. Between this and the Nubia miniā€™s, ive been delightfully spoiled on content

4 Likes

Itā€™s definitely a great time to be a Wonder Woman fan. :blush: Are you reading Wonder Woman Evolution as well?

3 Likes

I started it? But when the Trials event started I needed to cut Evolution off so I could afford the tie in books. At this point I think iā€™ll just wait for it to pop up on DCUI as well, because my wallet needs to recover some Which shouldnā€™t be to long since theres no longer a Wonder girl book and the Nubia mini is only four issues

I might try out the dark crisis book if i hear good things about how Yara is used in it? Im hearing rumors that she wont necesarily be on the final team so im not sure

5 Likes

Oh man, I feel this. I have been limiting myself to strictly Wonder Woman-themed subscriptions outside of DCUI lately. I almost stopped on Evolution (itā€™s interesting but Iā€™m not as into it as I was with TOTA and Nubia) - but anyway itā€™s almost finished now so Iā€™ll keep going.

I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be reading Dark Crisis until it comes to DCUI. Interested to hear your thoughts on it and what Yaraā€™s involvement ends up being, though!

5 Likes

I confess, when it comes to the Esquecida, im far more interested in Potira than Yara. She just seems so neat~

3 Likes

On a random note, I find it fascinating how this current run is using Doctor Psycho.

When we are first introduced to him in this run we find out that he is able to astral project his consciousness into the realm of the gods and even manipulate reality within it to create constructs that could talk and move, mimicing the power of Wonder Woman.

Traveling to the astral plane was a whole thing in the golden age which happened all the time, and the construct creation was straight out of his bag of tricks in that era.

Then when we see him later on, he is using a puppeted victim as a glorified telephone who he sends leaping off a roof. Which at this point has become one of his signature tricks its been used so many times at this point.

This runs really using Psycho to his fullest as a piece of scum

3 Likes

Saw the August solicits and WOW.
DCeased Rises Again, Dark Crisis Simmers and Harley Quinn Goes Weekly in DC's August 2022 Solicits

Theres some fun Wonder Woman stuff on the pipeline~

Not only are we getting the Artemis solo, the continuing Nubia miniseries, and Wonder Woman vs Villainy Inc, in July,
But in August were getting a Yara Wonder Girl annual, more of Wonder Womans Villainy Inc arc, and a solo one shot about Hippolytaā€¦Becoming a god?!?

3 Likes

Alright, now im really puzzled. So someone is backing Doctor Psycho who Psycho answers too. He has a Wonder Woman clone, professor Calculus, and Doctor Poison as minions.

There are two shadowy ā€˜directors of the hordeā€™ who need the milk to be mass produced and they are seemingly on the same level as Doctor Psycho in Villainy Incs hierarchy.

And with this latest issue, its revealed whoever ā€˜managementā€™ is, they had the Duke of Deception on ice and were able to send him to Psycho as a new minion.

hmmā€¦Im not sure who the ā€˜directors of the hordeā€™ or management are supposed to beā€¦

Does anyone have any predictions or thoughts regarding this latest issue that came out today?

5 Likes

Iā€™m a big Wonder Woman fan. And this current title has been pretty goodā€¦but also IDK. For some reason I feel my interest dwindling and i canā€™t point out why. But looking forward to what comes next

5 Likes

I donā€™t know as much about the possible upcoming villains as you, but I am intrigued by the whole Villainy Inc thing and I thought it was cool that the Duke of Deception was brought in.

I continue to loath the drawn-out love-quadrangle or whatever this is. Iā€™m not one to make predictions, but I canā€™t help speculating about who Steveā€™s mystery girlfriend is. For some reason Artemis popped into my head - because given recent events that would hurt Diana the most. I have no other basis for that as I know very little about Artemis as she appears outside of the main WW book. And I genuinely hope itā€™s not. But I would also like to see something happen with this story soon.

5 Likes

Wow. XD

I can say with confidence that theres no chance its going to be her. Steve far to nice and canā€™t lift a two ton sword or possesses ridiculous pecs. Hes just not her type.

4 Likes

Well in my defense I also canā€™t picture Steve with anyone except Diana. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

Fair~
Post crisis made the weird choice of pairing Steve with Etta which resulted in once again the ā€˜romance vacuumā€™ like what we had during Steves extended dead period during the Bronze age.

Beyond Etta thoughā€¦

4 Likes

I have a very similar sentiment to yours. The dwindling interest for me comes from what feels like a sillier tone to the book than the arcs that came before. Current story is not quite registering with me. The creative team have done a good enough job so far though, that Iā€™m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

4 Likes

For me, its not that i think the tone is too silly per say. There is logic about how Psycho is executing his plan with his online channel. But I think I was expecting a more grand plot with Psycho. Especially after WW ran into him in the Asgard afterlife. But who knows? Maybe the ending will be stronger than expected

4 Likes
4 Likes

I continue to enjoy the writing style of this series. It was neat seeing the Duke of Deception worked in and Diana taking him on. Also, while I may still wish the relationship quadrangle wasnā€™t happening, Siegfriedā€™s response to Steve being injured definitely elevated him in my esteem. Good boy, Siggy! Protect/avenge Steve Trevor! :raised_hands:

Bad, scary stuff happening to Team Diana by the end of this issue. Everyone better be okay. :pleading_face:

I am still enjoying the Adventures of Young Diana, as well. Itā€™s a sweet and heartfelt story with very cute art.

The final issue of Wonder Woman: Evolution also came out yesterday. I donā€™t usually say this about any comic I purchase, least of all one with ā€œWonder Womanā€ in the title, but I should have just waited for it to come to DCUI. The first few issues were promising, but I was very disappointed by the direction the plot took in the final couple of issues. Justā€¦very science fiction trope-y, in my opinion. Not what I go to a Wonder Woman comic for, but maybe others enjoyed it.

6 Likes

Yeah, Evolutionā€™s ending left me kindaā€¦wut? I donā€™t think they would ever treat Batman or Superman this way. And I get that theyā€™re trying to make it uniquely Wonder Woman, butā€¦a cliched story where Diana loses badly? That doesnā€™t seem to be the way to build Wonder Womanā€™s fanbase.

5 Likes