Current Wonder Woman Series Discussion Thread

Having now read WW #780, I’d say its my Book of the Week.

Now, coming from a guy that loves Grant Morrison, Superman, and The Authority (and has really enjoyed the recently-concluded as of this week mini that featured that Trinity of Badassery), that says something, as I was fully expecting Superman and The Authority #4 to be my BOTW.

Anyhow, this book was a perfect jumping back-in point for me. The writing was crisp, as was the art, and it was a fun celebration of Wonder Woman, not only for her return to the DCU, but also of the character in general, given what an important anniversary she’s had this year.

I’m in for more, and can’t wait to see what happens next! :00_wonder_woman_stars:

4 Likes

I enjoyed this book, after reading the last arc, which I really enjoyed, this one hit all of the spots for me. I especially liked seeing Black Canary’s reaction to seeing Wonder Woman. I am excited to see what is coming next for Diana as one thing we can expect is a huge event coming next year!

4 Likes

This might be spoilery so fair warning but I’m grasping at any and all evidence of returning WonderTrev. Cover reveal for WW #783:

That’s gonna be enough to make me happy for awhile. :sparkling_heart: There’s further evidence in the story teaser description for that one, which I really shouldn’t have read but did anyway. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah, those have given me false hopes before… Back in Wilson’s run, specifically. Gah. This happened with Nightwing around that time too, I think (although writers swapped out quickly from what I recall).

3 Likes

Nubia and The Amazons #1 is out tomorrow. Can we talk about that here, @Angel212?

3 Likes

Yes…Wilson’s run is the one that broke my heart to begin with. :broken_heart: I’m sorry, regardless of if the Goddess of Love died, Steve as he was originally written for Rebirth would never have walked out like that. :rage: Not that I’m still mad or anything… (I’m totally still mad. :sweat_smile:)

We don’t get this story till January so who knows, but it seems the current writing team is hanging on till then. And they were the writers who had Steve say in the 80th special “we didn’t fall out of love, just needed space”…interesting reinterpretation of events there, but makes me hopeful a return of WonderTrev is at least in the cards. I’ll always be here holding a torch for them. I want to believe! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Sure! I read it earlier today, and it is SO GOOD. It’s long overdue, but they are finally doing right by Nubia.

5 Likes

It’s my #2 book of the week. I can’t wait to read it!

Speaking of can’t wait to read Wonder Woman-related books, Wonder Girl #4 is out next week. YES! :hugs:

4 Likes

Wonder Girl #4 is out this week, and Great Hera, what an issue it was. :hugs: :heart_eyes: :heart: No spoilers, but there were some beautiful splash pages in this one.

While I’ve recently come back to Wonder Woman in singles, I have to say that Wonder Girl has been my go-to WW-related book to celebrate the franchise’s 80th anniversary by. Its just so pretty, and Yara is so cool! Definitely worthy of Diana and her brand of badassery.

5 Likes

WW 781 dropped yesterday and was yet another great showing from this writing team. I can’t wait to see some of this setup with various villains pay off.

I really love that Deadman is Diana’s new superhero bestie. Boston was there for her in the Afterworlds and can understand what she went through more than anyone else.

And of course I am obligated to mention this:

Next issue comes out December 14 so…I’m just gonna say it…
All I want for Christmas is WonderTrev. :christmas_tree: :gift:
Make it happen, DC. I’m not asking for the moon here. Just a reinstatement of what’s been there since 1941. :pleading_face: :wonderwoman: :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Me too, I was super happy to see him! I haven’t read much of the prior arc of WW, but knowing Deadman was involved, that just makes me look forward to the trade even more!

3 Likes

Oh, you should for sure check out Afterworlds then! Boston Brand features pretty heavily in it. :blush:

3 Likes

I might have it on my Christmas list. :wink:

3 Likes

Nubia #2 and Wonder Woman: Evolution #1 are both out today! I thought they both were excellent. :open_book:

SN: Thanks to @DC89 for sharing that DCSHG WonderTrev gif during last night’s watchalong. :grin:

4 Likes

:smiley: :+1: :00_wonder_woman_gold:

The Diana and Steve episodes DCSHGs are :laughing:. Queen @Razzzcat absolutely nailed it when she described these characters as “concentrated versions” of their in comics personas- so true, and that applies to Diana and Steve’s interactions as well. So funny and fun! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

7 Likes

Exactly! It’s not really what I sincerely picture when I ship WonderTrev, but it absolutely works in a high school reimagining and also it is utterly adorable and hilarious. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

EDIT: Possibly the best moment is when she names her pet Griffin “Steve.” If that’s not a high school girl with an incurable crush, I don’t know what is. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

IKR? :laughing:. :purple_heart: this series sooo much!

6 Likes

As I eagerly await this Tuesday’s new Wonder Woman comic…here’s something else to eagerly await (for quite awhile probably):

3 Likes

I wasn’t sure where else to post this, so I guess I’ll just post it here.

On this day 1 year ago (according to my HBO Max bill lol), I decided it might be nice during a pandemic-y Christmas season to treat myself to a new superhero movie. All I was expecting from Wonder Woman 1984 was an evening of entertainment and distraction from real world problems. What I got was quite a bit more than that.

Diana’s character spoke to something I desperately needed to see right then. She was powerful enough to shatter guns or flip a truck - but she acted from a place of love and compassion. It was a combination quite unlike any I could recall seeing in powerful female heroes. It made me think - if a big-budget movie starring such a character could be made, maybe there was more hope than cynicism in this world.

One year and I’m afraid to think about how many comics later, and Wonder Woman is more important to me than ever. She’s just good. And right now I need to see and read about goodness. That’s where I’m at.

And were it not for my compulsion to read all the WW things, I never would have joined DCUI and found this amazing community. So that’s kind of a big deal. :blush:

12 Likes

Some brief thoughts on WW #783, since I’ve waited a long time for it…

Spoilers ahead

Of course, I’m talking about Steve and Diana’s first meeting since her return from the Afterworlds. As usual, saving the world doesn’t allow sufficient time for sweet reunions, but this was still pretty good for now. I’ll take this as my belated birthday present, DC, so thank you. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I love that Deadman is still Diana’s teammate through all this. They have such a great dynamic. I hope he sticks around. :blush:

As a final note, can I say how happy it makes me that writers have recently brought back the boomerang tiara? :sweat_smile:

Yeah, you are, Diana, and don’t bother apologizing for it. :star_struck:

I’m grateful for this writing team. Looking forward to next month. :00_wonder_woman_gold:

6 Likes