Current Wonder Woman Series Discussion Thread

Anyone read issue #779 (out today)? I really enjoyed it. Very satisfying conclusion to that story arc, and I can’t wait to see what’s next for Diana. :00_wonder_woman_gold:

Also, this was just: :heart_eyes: :chipmunk:

8 Likes

I picked mine up this morning and plan on reading it tonight after work. I am really hoping the conclusion is as satisfying as the rest of the story and I can’t wait to see what her next adventures are.

4 Likes

I read this book and completely forgot to come back to talk about it!!!

So much amazingness can be found within the pages of this issue. Most importantly, I was happy with the conclusion of the story and I am very ready for the next issue.

I agree, that picture that you posted was excellent and I love how he later says that he can’t lie because Wonder Woman wouldn’t like that. So much yes!!!

Another new Wonder Woman hardcover came out either this week or last? Wonder Woman: 80 Years of the Amazon Warrior. This is a compilation of stories ranging from her first appearance to Future State: Immortal Wonder Woman!

3 Likes

Agree; was a nice way to wrap up this arc. Overall, they’ve done a good job capturing the softer, kinder, loving side of Diana. They explored a lot of the mythology involving Gods and her connections to them. I hope future arcs capture Diana the warrior, showcase her powers, and challenge her physically and mentally.

The art was good, and could have been very good, if they stuck with Travis Moore for the entire run. They had a couple other artists for 3 or 4 issues in the middle, making for some jarring transitions (especially in that fairy realm issue). I feel like the run could have benefited from consistent art, especially with all the different looks Diana sported in this story. Was good nonetheless.

Speaking of jarring art transitions… folks have been saying the art for the backup story was too different. While I agree it was different, I didn’t have a hard time adjusting to it. I feel like the cartoon style suited young Diana, and provided some levity in a story that contained some surprisingly heavy themes involving involving truth and transparency. I enjoyed the backup overall, and wouldn’t mind seeing more of it in coming issues.

3 Likes

I enjoyed the young Diana story but the art didn’t fit with the main story. With that said, I believe there will be a Young Diana tpb soon and I plan on adding that to my collection. If I can get Jumpa and Diana in that cartoon style in one place, I am all for it.

3 Likes

I sincerely hope we see Ratatosk again. Even if he just is part of a short story in a future anthology. I’m gonna miss his furry little face. :broken_heart:

Oh man…I wish I hadn’t already bought the Future State trade now. Did you pick the hardcover up, @D4RK5TARZ? I’ll still take a look at it. I owe myself a trip to the book store this week. :open_book:

True, but since the young Diana story is completely unrelated to the main story, isn’t that okay?

I loved that cartoon art style. Of course, I also love manga, the DC Kids graphic novels, and DCSHG, so I’m definitely okay with a more anime-esque style.

3 Likes

This probably says a lot about me as a Diana fan, but my favorite part of this story was her solving the problem without having to punch people to do it. Having said that, the warrior is very much a part of who she is. She should exhibit both, as you say. I do like that the emotional, diplomatic side of her has been more of the focus recently though.

Again, this is probably a personal taste thing, but I didn’t mind the different art styles. Especially in the fairy realm, it very much added to the otherworldly quality and differentiated between the other worlds she visited. I agree Travis Moore’s stuff was fantastic though. Would love to see more work from him.

I was just thinking how 2 of my very favorite stories and among the first I ever read - DC Bombshells, and WW Rebirth “Lies/Truth/Year One/Godwatch” - all involve frequent artist changes throughout the issues. So maybe that’s why this doesn’t bother me in general when I’m reading comics? I like the variety and it has introduced me to many favorite artists.

Agree with you :100:% on this! :+1:

4 Likes

Your preference is shared by many, if not most fans. For me, the ideal approach to WW and most super powered characters is a balanced one. The powers and spectacle definitely draw me to these characters and their stories, but without substance, they’re just eye candy or an adrenaline rush. Which is why a writer must flesh out the characters’ personalities, principles and what they stand for. Do too much of the latter though, and you risk the story becoming too preachy or overly contemplative. Balance is key, and I think the first Wonder Woman movie did a pretty fantastic job at achieving that.

Sometimes I have a habit of stating the obvious :joy:

5 Likes

The upside with the FS WW trade is that you get Immortal Wonder Woman alongside the other WW-related FS content, while o’er in the 80th anniversary collection (which is a solid read), you get that mini alongside other iterations of Diana from different continuities, all of which comes together to form a tasty, tasty comic stew of Diana from the last 8 decades.

Winner-winner, either way. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I should also point out, that the majority of WW 80th is different than WW 75th. I have that on my wishlist that is given out for Christmas and my birthday. I was about to take it off and thought it would be better if I looked up the books used in both. There are some duplicates like her first appearance.

2 Likes

That’s why I’ve enjoyed both. I compared the two before getting the 80th book and I was happy to see that, just like the other 80th anniversary books, Diana’s wasn’t just a repackage of what came out previously.

IDK about anyone else, but if DC (or a merchandising partner) made posters of Jim Lee’s covers from the 80th anniversary books, I’d buy them, as they’ve all been great.

3 Likes

Just gonna post my thoughts here on the Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary special. Most particularly on the first story (which ties into the ongoing series):

WW 80

This issue did not waste any time tugging at my heartstrings. I’m glad we’re finally seeing Steve’s reaction to Diana’s “death.”

This cliffhanger, though (thank goodness #780 is next week):

I will just say this - it seems to me that very few happy relationships are allowed to thrive in comics. Please, DC creators, please don’t toy with my emotions here. You’re setting up a reunion, and it’s going to be horrible for this WonderTrev fan to go through it if they don’t end up together in the end. Steve was there at the beginning with Diana in 1941 - please bring things full circle for her 80th. :pleading_face:

I have some hope since Steve’s girlfriend remained unnamed (and really, Steve? That’s how you put your girlfriend in your phone? :sweat_smile:)

I also liked the Young Diana story. I’m happy to see it still going, and I was overjoyed to see Nubia and Diana meet in that art style.

There were plenty of great stories in this issue in addition to those! Have you read this yet? What were your favorite stories and art styles?

6 Likes

I haven’t read since they took Diana out of the picture but I have kept up with the goings on in the status quo. When she comes back though I will. I’m intrigued on how they’re gonna work this weird dynamic: Hippolyta as Wonder Woman and Nubia Queen of the Amazons? Shouldn’t it be the other way around? And what’s gonna happen to them when Diana comes back? Plus you got the new Wonder Girl taking up space when there are 2 previous Wonder Girls who haven’t gotten much work at all in a really long time. The status quo within the WonderFam rn is really odd.

I’m also noticing a trend within DC with doubling up on heroes. 2 Supermans and before that 2 Superboys, 2 Batgirls (maybe 3 but it’s debatable), 2 Flashs, and now 2 Wonder Girls all at the same time. We’re getting so many duplicates because DC can’t seem to move past the trinity generation and let them age so time has stopped but the universe is still somewhat “growing”.

1 Like

I share most of your thoughts on the first story. I liked the emotion, the flashbacks, and the celebration of Diana through many eyes. I wasn’t thrilled with… Babe. I feel like the writers are hiding her name for some kind of shocking reveal or some drama. I hope not, and Etta didn’t seem to react like the relationship was an issue or surprise, so maybe it’s not.

I liked seeing Diana interact with various heroes and through various ages, but I was disappointed that the Wonder Girls (especially Donna) didn’t get any story spotlights.

My favorite covers are the ones depicting the comic ages. I’m not sure why we didn’t get decade covers this time. As it is, I’ll likely grab the Silver Age variant.

5 Likes

This thought occurred to me but I’m clinging to my hope that this isn’t going to be the case. :upside_down_face:

I haven’t kept it a secret who I ship so…yeah. I mean Diana was with Siggy for a hot minute so maybe it’ll all work out even if they were seeing other people. (The 3 missed calls is also giving me hope? Like he’s avoiding her? Grasping at straws, I know. :sweat_smile:)

I was surprised at this, too. Makes me wonder if they’re saving it all for #780 when Diana comes back. We shall see. :thinking:

That’s a great choice! I’m holding out for a hardcover or trade edition that includes all the covers in the back (I bought the digital for now…)

4 Likes

I haven’t read the 80th anny one-shot yet, mostly because I can’t stop looking at Jen Bartel’s gorgeous wraparound cover, which is honestly one of my top five pieces of art from DC this year, so far.

Next week’s a big one, and I’m excited! :0_wonder_woman:

2 Likes

I read Wonder Woman #780 over breakfast, and I don’t think I have ever actively smiled so much while reading a single comic issue. It is pure unadulterated joy, which is exactly what is should be and what Diana deserves.

WW 780 Thoughts

There are too many reunions to mention here but of course, the Trinity and Justice League were emotional highlights - only surpassed by Hippolyta.

And then her return to doing what she does best:

Her response to people taking videos on their phones: priceless.

Of course, gotta mention:

Aw, Steve. :sparkling_heart: Guess it’s time to call “Babe” and let her down easy, huh? :grin:

More awesomeness:

Etta…think I got something in my eye… 🥲

Finally…Nubia. :blush:

So good. Just, so good. That final page just encapsulated all the feels perfectly.

SN: I really appreciate how they maintain the details of Themyscira’s coastline from when it first appeared in WW Rebirth. :+1:

I continue to love the work of this writing team, and Travis Moore is still hitting it out of the park with his art. Now I have to wait a whole month?! Oh well. There’s enough good stuff in today’s issue to dwell on in the meantime. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

(Even the appearance of Dr Psycho will not ruin this for me.)

6 Likes

WW #780 is one of my most-anticipated books this week. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

I’m just trying to figure out if I should buy it in print (via the Becky Cloonan variant) or digital. Kind of leaning towards print, ATM.

In other WW news, Nubia and the Amazons #1 hits next week. I’m jonesin’ for that.

Speaking of minis that star Amazons, I’m re-reading Odyssey of the Amazons. It didn’t seem to click with most people, but I liked it. I’m also a fan of its writer, Kevin Grevioux, so that may have helped.

Fun Fact: Grevioux voiced Black Beetle on Young Justice. That guy has a set of pipes on him, and then some.

3 Likes

I review this book for Comic-Watch, and have become very close Twitter friends with the writers. Absolutely love the current run.

4 Likes

I jumped in a bit in the middle and I think it’s an interesting arc for Diana.

4 Likes