Current DC Artists — Who’s Your Starting Five?

Who are your top five favorite current DC artists? List them and share their work in this thread!

Here’s mine: Jim Lee, Ivan Reis, Jorge Jimenez, Francis Manapul, and Ryan Sook!

7 Likes

Oof, only five, huh? This is difficult. I think mine ought to be: Dustin Nguyen, Francis Manapul, Jock, Fiona Staples, and Tim Sale. There’s a lot of really great ones out there, though.

2 Likes

If I could throw in a very close sixth option, I think Raphael Albuquerque gets a lot less credit than he deserves. I might even take him over Tim Sale

1 Like

Fiona Staples doesn’t really do DC art, so you have some wiggle room! :joy:

2 Likes

Oh! Right, I forgot about the DC stipulation. I suppose in that case, I’m covered for the five :smiley:

1 Like

I’m gonna have to do a separate comment for each artist. Too many images :slightly_smiling_face:

1- Ivan Reis

5 Likes

2- Jim Lee

4 Likes

@moro Your choices are on point! Modern masters!

3 Likes

3- Lee Bermejo

6 Likes

Thank you. Amazing artists indeed.

3 Likes

Those are my top 3. Fourth and fifth spots vary depending on my mood or what I’m reading. I mean, Gary Frank, Jorge Jimenez, Greg Capullo, Alex Ross, Cliff Chiang… I can’t just choose 2. So will stick with top 3 :slightly_smiling_face:.

5 Likes

Somehow I forgot Greg Capullo!!!

5 Likes

In no particular order:

1. Steve Lieber

1. Riley Rossmo

1. Joelle Jones

1. Nick Derington

1. John Romita, Jr.

4 Likes

Cliff Chiang is absolutely incredible.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I could think of just 5, but someone who’s really been on my radar lately is Dexter Soy. He started the Red Hood Rebirth run and is currently on Batman And The Outsiders. His art reminds me of a mature anime look. But I’d probably say along with him, and none of these are in order per say, Ivan Reis, Tony Daniel, Brett Booth, and actually my top spot after some thought would probably go to Jason Fabok. Jim Lee is my favorite of all time, but as a way to include one of the others, I’m not counting him for this as he isn’t super active anymore with all his other responsibilities. Fabok really isn’t doing a monthly book right now either.

Ok so to keep it to active artists currently on a monthly, it’d be, no order:

Liam Sharp
Ivan Reis
Dexter Soy
Tony Danial

So Lee, Fabok, and Capullo would be in my favs period, but they aren’t on a monthly book. So this is my cop out list​:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Nick Derington is fantastic. Slowly growing into a personal favorite.

4 Likes

I have literally never seen a bad drawing from him. Mister Miracle covers, Doom Patrol and Batman Universe… it’s all amazing.

3 Likes

Jason Fabok, Tony Daniel, and Liam Sharp are also fantastic artists. Great picks!

4 Likes

Francis Manapul consistently wows me and after his Generation Zero cover I would kill for him to do a classic JLofA story. That blue and grey Batman is a thing of beauty.
All of that beautiful Ivan Reiss art is hard to deny.
Clay Mann and Jason Fabok are up there as well. And end it with Jim Lee because his daily sketches on Twitter/eBay are just insane.

These are interesting lists and show the diversity in style and taste. Some of the choices I find downright ugly but I think that shows one of the strengths of the industry that it’s not cookie cutter and uniqueness is embraced.

4 Likes

I always bat for Nicola Scott. I love her Wonder Woman art. I think she’s probably my favorite comic book artist in general. But also love JH Williams III, Yannick Paquette, Joelle Jones, and Mikel Janin.

jh williams iii

I don’t know how “current” these artists are but I’m such a fan.

4 Likes