Crown the Greatest DC Film Tournament

I was thinking earlier as this is a PG forum I will leave it at that. Yeah, House at the End of the Street was rough but I actually think is required viewing for those Elm Street fans. Especially since the main bad guy in that was named Kruge.

3 Likes

And David Hess pretty much reprised his role as Krug from The Last House on the Left in Swamp Thing. Granted, he didn’t force anyone to *** their **** or ***** themselves in the comic book movie, so it really was the PG version!

3 Likes

Did you see him playing “The Vulture”? He can do a much more gritty Bruce/Bat if the director wants it.

5 Likes

Getting back to Swamp Thing, Jim Wynorski directed Return of Swamp Thing. I actually prefer this movie. It is a throwback to rubber suit creatures and was filled with 80s brightness. The reason why I bring Wynorski up is that he was an interesting choice. He “graduated” from the Corman Film School and did films like Chopping Mall. He was one of the directors that got caught up in the direct to VHS horror flick genre along with Fred Olen Ray and David DeCouto. If you were to look up the filmographies for these 3 directors you will find late night premium cable standards to Hallmark movies to Syfy tv movies.

4 Likes

Yeah, I would normally not choose a Wynorski film over a Craven film, but this is a rare exception. Don’t expect me to choose Deathstalker II over The Hills Have Eyes. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Hey, never let anyone knock a good rubber suit movie. I remember growing up, watching the old “Godzilla” and “Ultraman” movies.

4 Likes

That is completely fair! One thing I liked about Swamp Thing 2 is that Wynorski actually tried to do something with it. While the movie might have been successful it did spawn a cartoon series and a forgettable live-action tv series.

4 Likes

Yes! I hope they give him creative freedom, because I think with all the years of acting he done,
I’d think make an great performance as an even more mature batman, but I’m curious what kind of an supporting cast they’ll use with him.

3 Likes

Are you kidding me? The rubber suit was the charm of that movie!

3 Likes

It’s nice to talk to someone who appreciates fine art. My sisters used to complain endlessly when I watched those movies (and yes, the Swamp Thing TV show).

3 Likes

Forgettable?! Blasphemy.

And yeah, it was actually kinda weird seeing Wynorski actually trying. I mean, there’s also Chopping Mall and its wonderful head obliteration (matched only by the one from Craven’s Deadly Friend?), but I have nothing nice to say about fare such as Hard to Die, Ghoulies IV, and Cheerleader Massacre. (And yes, I’ve seen those movies, unfortunately.)

4 Likes

Those were produced by “Disney” weren’t they?

5 Likes

I liked Hard to Die as it was the 3rd movie in the Sorority House Massacre series. Ghoulies IV was umm… well it was a movie. According to Letterboxd, I have seen 17% of the movies Wynorski has directed.

3 Likes

Yeah, the dilation lasted several hours and I got into housework and Doom Patrol. I’ll be finishing the posts that came in, lots of reading to catch up on. I’ll have the next bracket continuing momentarily…

3 Likes

I didn’t like it because it was literally Sorority House Massacre II all over again in a different setting. You can’t just switch out the Old Hockstatter Place for a high rise and call it a day!

Oh, and apologies to @MovieAddict for turning this into a discussion of schlock. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It will be interesting if Joker vs Birds of Prey would be a bracket. I know what movie I am voting for!

3 Likes

I still love the TV series from the 90s. Some episodes were really good, most were not so hot…

3 Likes

While we’re waiting, let’s watch the Swamp Thing movies.

You go, Dick Durock! Take down Louis Jourdan!

3 Likes

Brackets are closed, and I will start posting the new brackets. Hopefully I can get them posted with no conversation in between…

3 Likes
  • Wonder Woman
  • Green Lantern

0 voters

2 Likes