Crisis on Earth 1 - The Last Stand

The comics code was never actually a law. I understand that the majority of advertisers wanted the code approval and possibly the distributors as well. That’s why at one point marvel just said screw it

6 Likes

Better than some comics currently out there.

5 Likes

Is was the industries way of self-regulating.
Kind of like when Facebook says they’ll take care of the problem with new updated standards and procedures.

5 Likes

Wasn’t Swamp Thing or an issue of Spider Man one of the first to remove it?
At least for a time?

4 Likes

Do kids even read comics any more? Or did all the kids the censorship was trying to protect grow up and now all the comics are written for them?

4 Likes

I’m almost positive Spider-Man was first

3 Likes

That is my recollection

4 Likes

I don’t even know what it was in swamp thing that violated the code. Nothing stood out to me as extreme when they dumped the code. Honestly you could probably find content on Nickelodeon that’s more racy (not really but you get it)

4 Likes

I see kids in my LCS all the time. What I find interesting is that most of these kids are young girls with their moms. Wonder Woman is a big hit.

3 Likes

I think all the comic shops are still closed here. I might do a drive by to see

2 Likes

I don’t know exactly when it changed but there was a time when comics and video games weren’t a huge hit with girls

4 Likes

Completely different now

6 Likes

For several reasons. As we’ve evolved into modern comics, representation of women in comics have changed drastically. I mean, just for myself, I got into comics in the in between of the Women in Refrigerators movement and the Hawkeye Initiative, which both discussed the physical and plot-based imbalance of female characters in relation to their male counterparts. I was you g enough to not really get what it all meant, but old enough to see that stories I hadn’t seen myself represented in yet were beginning to change and I was interested in that. I remember being REALLY peeved about the Young Justice cancellation when they blamed it on female toy sales.

9 Likes

It’s been a long time since I’ve heard anyone mention the fridging. I was just talking to someone about how I thought the efforts to empower female characters were sometimes overdone and often brought a lame element to a story. Don’t get me wrong, that’s better than half the human race feeling unwelcome as readers. Don’t get me wrong a strong woman is great when it’s done right.

4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong

2 Likes

Lol Im a little preoccupied right now I guess

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong

2 Likes

They come off as lame because they’re not truthful. It’s added in as a “well we’ve got to empower her somehow or those women’ll complain again grumble grumble!”
Trust me, I know exactly what you’re talking about. :grin:

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m pretty sure it was Spider-Man. I think it was the issue they found out Harry used some kind of substance (I can’t remember what)?

3 Likes

Are you talking about the Green Arrow issue that has Speedy shootings up heroin on the cover?

5 Likes