Countdown to Three Jokers!

In “Doctor Who” terms, it is called “Wibbly-wobbly…timey-wimey.”

7 Likes

SOOOOOOO much good stuff here so far!

I’m SUCH a Joker Fan Boy, but after looking at those preview pages I’m probably more excited to see the interactions between Bruce and Jason during all this. That’s going to be INTENSE!!!

6 Likes

The Joker, in his multitude of iterations over the 80 years of Batman, is the DC villain I always have time for and have never wavered in my support for in as much as I almost sometimes have wished he would win.
If The Joker finally killed Batman, he would be in the same position as Wile E. Coyote in that “Family Guy” cutaway sketch where he is still picking meat off of the skeleton three weeks later at the dinner table wondering where to go from here as he is purposeless now.

3 Likes

Have you read the 80th anniversary special for the Joker? There is a story where Batman dies and the Joker asks himself what would he do now. It ends kinda funny

7 Likes

I’m definitely excited for The 3 Jokers while still hesitant about it all at once. I’m also surprised that nothing big has leaked especially since this was announced years ago.

7 Likes

I had completely forgotten about this storyline having written it off as abandoned in the wreckage and detritus left behind when DC yet again used the blue erase pencil and started their continuity afresh from The New 52 to Rebirth to whatever will follow.
I, having placed my hand over that hot stove many a time in the past and received third degree burns from the massive disappointment of underwhelming “Event” series, now face them with no expectations whatsoever so I won’t feel cheap and violated after it wraps up.
I just hope it doesn’t take them three years to tell the story like it took “Doomsday Clock” to play out.
By the time Issue 12 was released, i had absolutely no clue where it had all began and what the original narrative thrust was.

3 Likes

I feel this so much on so many levels.

2 Likes

I think they said issue 1 wouldn’t be released until all 3 were finished in order to prevent the delays between issues that Doomsday Clock had.

6 Likes

I am cautiously optimistic that they stay true to their word on that as, not having any knowledge of the comic book industry from the inside, the three year delay between start and finish of Doomsday Clock was just ridiculous.
It may not have been three years but it felt like the interminable wait as a kid between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

3 Likes

I’m confident DC knows what they have in Joker…especially after the most recent movie. They won’t disappoint us.

And just imagine what fun it is to create this character!!! We saw above that they had even more time to play with it during The Great Toilet Paper Crisis.

These books are going to blow our minds!

5 Likes

From what Johns has said, it was basically because DC jumped the gun on releasing Doomsday Clock before they had a good lead time. Plus they felt that it was better to delay and make sure each issue is as good as possible – after all, the original Watchmen had similar delays, and no one talks about that now, because it was worth the wait.

2 Likes

As far as how much strict adherence to scheduals can wreck a thing:

Fallout 76.

4 Likes

I only know of the notorious Watchmen delay from Issues 1-12 secondhand from what I have read over the years as I read it for the first time when the first trade paperback of it was published in the late 80’s as I bought it from my local comic book shop when I was a student at the University of Iowa.
As i say, I know nothing of the behind the scenes workings of the comic book publishing industry and understand that writers and artists over-extend themselves and miss deadlines on one project as they are prepping five others but I would have thought that the editorial board would have learned something from the Watchmen debacle but it seems they make the same mistake time and again.

3 Likes

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. I should have remembered that. I don’t like that they changed the definition like they did, but I guess it gives them more liberties that way.

1 Like

I have a hard time with this. First, I personally don’t want Joker to have a clear origin. He’s just Joker. There can be speculation, possibilities, and out of continuity but I never want an “official” origin. I thought The Dark K Igor ( keeping it because HOW is that autocorrect for Knight?) handled it perfectly. I hated Rob Zombie’s Halloween for the same reason. Giving Michael Myers an origin humanizes him and reduces his boogeyman legend. Plus the origin was hack pop psychology.
Second, I have a hard time trusting Johns with Batman. I just don’t like how he writes him. It’s so silly but I never got past Lex Luthor picking Batman’s pocket in Forever Evil. He always neuters him.
Third, and very minor, but Batman has the all knowing chair and didn’t dig further than “there are three”?
All just my opinion.

I am definitely looking forward to looking at the book though because Fabok appears to be killing it.

3 Likes

No matter what they do here my Joker Origin will always be the Joker Toxin released when his heart stops. This makes it more terrifying to me than anything else. As it passes down from one psycho to another each psycho in line has to be a bigger and better psycho than the last one.

I’m just looking forward to yet another story about a character I can never get enough of.

6 Likes

I am very excited about this. I enjoyed Doomsday Clock and I feel that Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok have a solid story in this one. That is not to say that I am blindingly optimistic about it. Another poster mentioned how ‘Big Events’ burned them out. I don’t know how to explain it but I think this one will be a classic. If I am wrong, I am wrong.

6 Likes

“Blindingly Optimistic” would be a good way to describe the way I am with a Joker story. Even if there were such a thing as a bad Joker story, at least it’s a Joker story!

5 Likes

Always remember that no one can take your head canon origin of The Joker away from you.
Call me old-fashioned if you will but I have a nostalgic sentimentality for the Red Hood gimmickery.

5 Likes

SOOOOOOOOO MUCH THIS!!!

After reading The Smile Killer I’m getting carried away in my head with the Juaquin Phoenix origin story because the biggest critique about that film was that Bruce was so young, but could that be the same bruce who was watching Mr. Smiles on TV?

6 Likes