Countdown To Superfriends

(Meanwhile at the Hall Of Justice, @Reaganfan78 has a breaking news on DC Universe Infinite)
Greeting friends, yesterday I found out that the Super Friends is coming to HBO Max on June 18! What a perfect timing!
As you may or may not know that DC Animated Club is doing a tribute to Hanna-Barbera this month and next month in June.
I was going to do Super Friends in the last 2 weeks of June, so now it will be 3 weeks of June, I’ll be talking about Super Friends.
Anyway this will be a Countdown til Super Friends premiere on HBO Max, much like I did with Superman The Animated Series, So let the Countdown begin! :grinning:
There is…
27 left

:00_aquaman: :00_batman_1989: :00_robin: :00_flash: :00_lc_green_lantern: :00_superman: :00_wonder_woman_stars:

19 Likes

Yes, let the countdown begin! I look forward to hearing your thoughts about this gem :eyes:

4 Likes

(The next day at the Hall Of Justice…)
Superman: My friends, I have great news for you, Super Friends will be on HBO Max in…
26 More days!

4 Likes

Looking forward to this! :superhero:
Staring at HBO, impatiently waiting for the release:
tumblr_oqnrtqIwst1s2wio8o1_1280

5 Likes

Checks the date, it’s been 17 years since the first Super Friends series came out on DVD.

I bought them all from 2004-2013 and still have them.

6 Likes

A while back, I ran two Super Friends Watch alongs, they were a lot of fun- back when it was on here on the site.

I wonder if the HBO’s Super Friends will include Challenge of the Super Friends?

7 Likes

I hope so.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Watching these in order on iTunes. Just finished “Challenge of the Super Friends”. Took me a while to get through the first couple seasons with those 45 minute run times. The animation quality, storytelling, and dialogue don’t quite hold up. The nostalgia factor is a force to be reckoned with though. I love the character designs. I prefer them over the later Bruce Timm stylized body proportions, and over some of the more anime-ish stuff we got later. The music is something I actually enjoy listening to. Overall it’s a nice way to get transported to simpler times with our favorite characters.

5 Likes

802d4d9d20150d828ff17f0e51563d9b
(Meanwhile at the Hall Of Justice,)
Wonder Woman: Still waiting with…
25 days left!

:00_robin: :00_batman_1989: :00_superman: :00_wonder_woman_stars:

3 Likes

giphy

There are…

24 days left!

2 Likes

:pleading_face:Oh my goodness, I’m over a day late! I’m so very sorry everybody.
tumblr-mjjaukl-BQH1qko4x4o1-r1-500

Aquaman is either playing music or he’s letting everybody know there’s…

22 days left!
:00_aquaman:

2 Likes

tumblr_oq6hjfnxJl1s2wio8o1_500
(Meanwhile On DC Community Board, Sinestro & Cheetah are causing trouble, Moderator @Green.Lantern save the day by stopping them!)

Green.Lantern: Sorry Sinestro & Cheetah, when you hangout with the Superfriends, we don’t welcome troublemakers!

Superfriends will be on HBO Max in…
21 days!
:00_lc_green_lantern:

2 Likes

Cyborg makes his very first animation appearance on the Superfriends! When I was a kid I thought he look really cool!
There are now…
20 days left!
:dp_cyborg: :0_cyborg:

2 Likes

a Cartoon Network ad used to promote the show when it was on the network looooooooooooooooooong ago

5 Likes

Hawkgirl_(04x14c_-_Time_Rescue)_3

@Shayera.Hol AKA Hawkgirl made her first animated appearance on the All New Super Friends series! You can see her on Super friends (HBO Max) in…
19 days!
:00_hawkman1:

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see more of both Hawks!

4 Likes

I remember back when they aired these episodes on Cartoon Network. My friend Mark and I were so excited, cause it was the first time since childhood we’d seen the show. We had such fond recollections, then watching em again, yikes. We were both a little let down.
I suppose it was to be expected, when the show had been such a huge part of our youth, the actual episodes could never live up to the memories in our minds as young adults.

Now, of course, as @moro points out, the nostalgia factor comes in to play, and I’m more willing as a middle ager to forgive the shows short comings. And I love it for what it is, something I’ve never understood, even back when I was a kid, is why call it “Superfriends” and not “Justice League”?

4 Likes
  1. It was the 1970s. The 1973 version was supposed to be a bit more educational and less of a super hero fight cartoon. And they just had a Justice League of America cartoon in 1967.

Yes, with Ted Knight as well

1. The Super Friends was a sub section of the JLA that trained new heroes. In the Super Friends comics you would see the Hall of Justice and the JLA Satellite.
5 Likes

I love these 60’s JLA cartoons, they need a warning for their opening, “Could induce seizures.” :laughing: I also like Hawkman’s weird lighting device on his wrist. And, “Cosmic Crusader,” they need to embrace that title for GL today. It’s cool too, that they cast Bud Collyer as Supes.

PS: I knew if I posted the question about the origin of the “Superfriends” name here, someone would know, thanks @CaptainYesterday.

5 Likes

Have to admit, I have never known about these 60s Justice League cartoons. That’s cool.

5 Likes