Could the Joker movie win a Oscar?

Cannot wait!

Trailer 2 was good but wasn’t pure magic like the first one.

Origin stories bore me and some characters I don’t want to know how they came to be.

This feels like a “film done in the superhero genre” rather than a “superhero film”.

The release date can’t get here fast enough - but is this the Joker that will rival The Batman?

I think it’s supposed to be a stand-alone film but why waste such a great portrayal of a character?

DC needs to stick to one world of characters for now. Two Jokers and a new Batman and Superman so soon after they relaunched is ridiculous.

Honestly, I kinda feel like this movie is trying to be Oscar-bait. Not to say I don’t think it’ll be a good movie, but it does seem like it’s specifically trying to win an Oscar.

1 Like

It’s not going to be a typical comic book film. That wasn’t the intention from Todd Philips. And it shouldn’t be, it doesn’t have to be. The Academy is still iffy on comic book films when it comes being nominated for their major awards. BP was nominated for Best Picture even though it was average at best and we know why it was up for Best Picture. The current state of the DCEU is all over the place, so it doesn’t bother me that this film is a standalone. I care about getting a good film. I’ve accepted the failure of the DCEU. Plus Joaquin has been wanting to play the Joker for a couple of years and I’m all for it! It may not be apart of the DCEU, but at this point, does it really matter? But yes, I think Joker could be nominated for something. I personally think it’ll get Best Cinematography and Best Actor nominations. Does that mean they’ll win? We’ll see on October 4th and its competition next year!

Just putting this out there…Suicide Squad won an Oscar…so anything is possible.

I doubt it. It just feels off for me and one of those films where the most interesting bits are being released in the trailers. All sizzle, no steak.

Trying to make the Joker done tragic figure is just a bad idea. Don’t care the medium.

Of course I don’t think the academy has any standing in the “what film/ performance/technical is objectively the best. They list that when they gave BP to Chariots of Fire over All That Jazz. It was criminal and absurd.

Judging from early reviews, the Academy will most definitely be taking a look at this film. As I mentioned before there are not a lot of awards caliber movies due to Disney owning 40% of the market with their popcorn filler bloat.

1 Like

It has a shot, but I fear the Academy snobs are miffed that superhero movies have dominated the box office and will turn their intentions to artsy movies to hand out the important awards. Having said that the Academy it reward the Return of the King, so here’s hoping.

The folks at the Venice Film Festival gave it an eight minute standing ovation.

Seems to bode well. :+1:

https://www.cbr.com/joker-movie-eight-minute-standing-ovation-venice-premiere/

1 Like

Probably not, Disney is trying to fix it so Robert Downey Jr wins the Oscar for his last Iron Man performance.

1 Like

Joker could win an Oscar, but I’m not certain. I think the character study aspect of it and how Phoenix puts that on screen has the best chance of an Oscar due to Phoenix not being exactly shy with Oscar awards.

2 Likes

It def has a chance now! Agree with @BrightKnight, Feige will release the Marvel Trolls to start the campaign against Joker so their boi can get a statue :rofl:
:bat:

Downey is great as Tony, but Oscar? I’ve thought superhero movies have wrongly been excluded from the top awards as Oscar veers further towards movies no one pays to see, but RDJ naw.

1 Like

I don’t think either of them deserve the oscar, personally lol

One of them you haven’t even seen. Maybe watch the movie In October?

I’m not going to watch it in October, probably November, but still stands aa I’ve already seen snippets and clips of the movie via the red vine. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s a bad movie - just that I already know I personally don’t think it will deserve an oscar and I’m fairly certain it won’t surpass his act as Johnny Cash in Walk The Line (I don’t think this is an unfair statement).

As far as the high praise it’s getting from critics, I’m not falling for it. I’m more curious about what the community thinks. If this is another DC movie that doesn’t respect the character or tradition of that which he is based off, then not even good acting will win it an Oscar Delarente.

1 Like

Lmao not likely come on let’s be serious I’m a huge dc fan but I’m not going to watch it as I am boycotting the movie

Could I ask why

Wouldnt be the first time someone got an academy award for playing the Joker. I’m sorry, RDJ didnt give an Oscar calibur performance in any movie he played Iron-man. He’s great and so is his performance, but Oscar calibur, not at all.

@legendkiller if u talking to me first is that they took out what made joker the joker aka the acid he falls in and they made him look like a mommas boy with a eating disorder and second reason is cuz Leto should have gotten the chance to do joker again I was looking forward to the joker and Harley Quinn spinoff and I think Leto and Margot Robbie had good chemistry as them

It’s an elseworlds tale so I don’t mind, plus the acid is just one possible origin not the definitive, killing joke is just popular. Plus, he isn’t main universe so he doesn’t affect Leto’s fate.
Don’t want to feel too preachy, you’re free to like what you like and vice versa