Context-Free Comics Corner: The Super-Moby Dick of Space!

Today in our News section, we’re sauntering on over to Context-Free Corner, where we try to unpack an outrageous moment in comics with little-to-no frame of reference. Today, we examine 1965’s Adventure Comics #332.

If you’re not already familiar with the adventure of Lightning Lad and Superman battling Super-Moby Dick of Space, we highly suggest you brace yourself for one of the great DC oddities.

Do you have a favorite befuddling moment, free of context? Share it with us in the comments below!

4 Likes

Just pick a superman panel from the 50s, ANY superman panel from the 50s. Awesomely crazy, pure funnybook goodness

4 Likes

More recently. In Superman(Rebirth) by Tomasi, in one of the first few issues The Eradicator eats Krypto the Super Dog.

4 Likes

The legion and its Club are everywhere

3 Likes

It’s not befuddling, but Superman eating Kryptonite, and quite joyfully, in Superman #233 was kind of fun/odd.

3 Likes

Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but you do realize this comic book is not digitized and is not in our library, right?

2 Likes

I happen to have a black and white version through a Showcase collection. I’ll try to post a couple of other panels from this wonderful Epic!!

Another dramatic scene from this epic that unfortunately is not in the library here…

… and here’s the happy ending; if only the real Moby Dick book had such a gentle ending!

There are so many panels in Doom Patrol 42 that out of context are so confusing.

Page 17 bottom right hand corner specifically.

I really like this segment hope it continues

2 Likes

@The_Legion_Of_Superheroes , please consider seeking out the Legion Club here in the Comic Book area. We have both a modest Weekly Reader book club, but also a Watch a Long monthly that you might like.