‘Constantine’ Sequel in the Works with Keanu Reeves

Sharpening my pitchfork right now just in case.

3 Likes

why even is this being made? I mean it looks like a bad cash grab idea, 'oh marvel brought back the old spiderman and it made money lets bring back Constantine extra lite.

2 Likes

When my friend told me about this, I was an immediate unlikely to watch. Later after I found out that the Matt Ryan series was cancelled, I moved it to never gonna see it with Batman & Robin and Matrix Resurrections.

2 Likes

I’m so excited! John Constantine is 1 of my favorite DC characters. You can’t mess with the Hellblazer!

3 Likes

Meh, Batman & Robin is more a what the Hell they were thinking film

3 Likes

Sting was so nice about the resemblance in the comics…could have sued them and he never did. The Vertigo version Constantine aged, so an older Sting is still right for the part. Casting Keanu was plain incompetence from the start. But it isn’t about Keanu, it’s about why can’t they ever, ever, ever get such an casting task right. The artist flipping announced who plays him from the get-go

1 Like

The JJ Abrams Constantine series was NEVER going to use Matt Ryan; they were going to recast with someone ‘younger’ and as a ‘diverse lead;’ which, of course, a certain crowd took to mean ‘black’ and you got a lot of WOKE Constantine nonsense on social and forum/web comments.

2 Likes

There actually was apparently a specific Black actor they were looking at to play Constantine in Ṣọpẹ Dìrísù. I was definitely intrigued by the possibility though that “certain crowd” wasn’t even willing to give him a chance just because of his race, which was really sad but not surprising. And even though it was never confirmed, I think his reaction to the movie sequel news does lend more credence to him having at least been seriously considered for the role

1 Like

People don’t like change

1 Like

Her fishnets are important to her character lol

2 Likes

Sex appeal matters

3 Likes

I still remember all the crying and complaining people were doing because Zack Snyder’s Superman was “too dark.” I also remember all the complaining about this…

2 Likes

Fishnets matter! Black canary not having her’s in BoP was a crime against humanity.

3 Likes

People also complained about Micheal Keaton being cast as Batman

2 Likes

Interesting side stepping company move.

1 Like

I was not that into the NBC series Constantine, but again, I’m not a huge horror (in any fashion) fan AT ALL. But I did enjoy him on LoT. And, as someone who comes to DC from the books, I do appreciate canon - but I don’t think people need to be slavish to it. We’ve had loads of Batgod in live action, hours upon hours of it but the most popular and best known versions of it have barely mentioned Dick, much less any of Bruce Wayne’s remaining army of child soldiers. Likewise, we’ve had a lot of Super Family - hours upon hours of it - and even in the lesser known, least popular up until this year’s animated version - most people wouldn’t know that Clark Kent has a canine super familiar or that Krypto isn’t just Superman’s dog, but that he’s also a large part of other members of the Super Family, from Kon-El, to Kara and now Jonathan Samuel.

That Constantine wasn’t British is not - at all - a non-starter. It’s like complaining about the long laundry list of non-USA actors who have been cast as Peter Parker, Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne, yadda yadda.

Complaining that Keanue wasn’t blond, when as just one example, given that smoking was a huge part of the Keanu Reeve’s version and was not at all for Matt Ryan, for example, is more silly than anything else. I do agree that it’s hard to see how a sequel almost two decades later will be a huge financial success, but if it’s done well and doesn’t cost much, who knows. I mean, it still startles me that Todd Phillips movie made a billion dollar, so really, who knows. I know people want to look at Matrix Resurrection’s box office to claim this is a mistake, but we have to admit that COVID and the day and date release plays as much of a factor as anything else.

As for the casting of Dìrísù - that’s all news to me and I’m not familiar with his work to know if he would have been a good Constantine. I would actually prefer someone like Dev Patel for a ‘diverse’ John Constantine. And while I do love me Jenna Coleman and thought she was really fabulous on Dr. Who and great as Victoria, I was honestly underwhelmed with her on Sandman. She was good but barely there in the Hob episode, so I think that more than justifies using her as her (great great?) descendant and it’s simply nonsense to complain about that as WOKE casting. But the modern scenes didn’t particularly make me want to see more of them. I would prefer another Hob stand alone or some such episode in the future, with her as OG Johanna Constantine.

Also, for the curious, apparently, WB/DISCO is encouraging and allowing Abrams and his production company to shop around the Madame Xanadu and Constantine show to streamers. I doubt Netflix would bite at either but if I were them, I would write a good contract and jump all over a Zatanna streaming series. And I don’t see Disney+ ever wanting anything WB would be willing to sell them DC IP wise. And I don’t see why Disney would allow Hulu to bid, or Paramount would spend the money, unless the price was low (and cheap is not the JJ Abrams MO). So, really, NF or Amazon Prime are the only players here, maybe Apple TV for some particular types of IP.

2 Likes

Unless its like a Batman thing or something

2 Likes

I remember that. Before Batman '89 was released, people were complaining about “Mr. Mom” playing Batman.
@raider_dave66 I am one of those people who is still uncomfortable with the idea of Batman killing.

I actually really liked the original Constantine movie, so I’m excited about this. It was my first experience with the character. I’m very curious to see how this turns out. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not really an update since there’s not much real news, other than they are working on a story, but have no script; but also that the principals from the original movie are definitely committed to making it happen now that they have the green light to go ahead.

Also, this interesting anecdote about Keanu’s influence in making this sequel happen:

4 Likes