Constantine recommendations

I started to get into the magic side of DC thanks to the amazing Swamp Thing tv show. Any recommendations of where to read a good Constantine comic book? I saw an episode of Legends of Tomorrow and the actor did such an amazing job, I really wanna read up more on the character.

Also open to reading Phantom Stranger and The Spectre. I’ve seen them pop up ever so often. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey Peter! The best place on DCU to start with Constantine is is actually… Swamp Thing. John’s debut is in Swamp Thing #37, and he remains a presence in the book for the rest of the series. Enjoy!

1 Like

The Vertigo Hellblazer series. Especially the Ennis run.

2 Likes

Some other recommendations for the other characters you mentioned:

Phantom Stranger — Vertigo Visions: Phantom Stranger
The Spectre — The Spectre (1992)

1 Like

If you’re just asking for anything & not just where to start. JLD whole series, Forever evil:blight crossover, Rotworld crossover, Sword of Sorcery crossover. JLD I VAMPIRE: Rise of the Vampires.

2 Likes

spectre: depends on which one u want? I liked the Final Crisis Crispus Allen & during infinite crisis when Allen & Montoya are investigating Jim Corrigan who eventually passes the mantle on to Allen himself. Batman Broken City is a good starting point for that transition. Hal Jordan’s run, Final night crossover was a good one for Hal as Spectre. I love Jim Corrigan too, I just, as u can probably tell, love crossovers. The longer the storyline the better for me. JLA/ Spectre soul war was good imho. My favorite Spectre read is Day of vengeance with, of course, the full reading order/ tie-ins. I’d be a pal & list it out for ya’ but it’s written in my 1st notebook I used to track comics. I just started my 3rd & have no clue where my 1st one went. Just google Day of Vengeance full reading order or collected. I have more luck with full reading order cuz if u type collected there not always in order & more likely to not be the full run. Phantom Stranger I’ll give u a two for one. Madame Xanadu vol 1 only Madame Xanadu title on here. It’s my vote for most underrated & it received multiple Eisner awards. Phantom Stranger is throughout the entire series. Even has an origin in there for him.

1 Like

Thank you all! I got a lot of material to work with :grin:

2 Likes

First and foremost Milligans hellblazer, that’s what really hooked me. Then try tynions run called the hellblazer. And then try new 52s hellblazer. They’re all amazing. Then you could do other titles like justice league dark, forever evil blight has a lot of John as well. He’s in a lot more than people expect.

2 Likes