Congratulations to DC’s Eisner Nominees!

The list of Eisner Award nominees for this year has just been published, and I’m proud to say it’s chock-a-block with DC books and staff! What a great time to be following the publisher! Congratulations to all of our nominees, and I hope they all take home the win!

Check out the list here:

https://www.newsarama.com/44949-2019-will-eisner-comic-industry-award-nominees.html?fbclid=IwAR2jCaS6odaZ2lrY95O9hMrxxyqetXtz9BV9cKbpVkuqOJnn0ycXwfHpm60

6 Likes

Some highlights:

Best Short Story:
“The Talk of the Saints,” by Tom King and Jason Fabok, in Swamp Thing Winter Special (DC)

Best Continuing Series:
Batman, by Tom King et al. (DC)

Best Limited Series:
Batman: White Knight, by Sean Murphy (DC)
Eternity Girl, by Magdalene Visaggio and Sonny Liew (Vertigo/DC)
Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles, by Mark Russell, Mike Feehan, and Mark Morales (DC)
Mister Miracle, by Tom King and Mitch Gerads (DC)

Best Graphic Album (New):
Green Lantern: Earth One Vol. 1, by Corinna Bechko and Gabriel Hardman (DC)

Best Archival Collection/Project (Comic Books):
Action Comics: 80 Years of Superman Deluxe Edition, edited by Paul Levitz (DC)

Best Writer:
Tom King, Batman, Mister Miracle, Heroes in Crisis, Swamp Thing Winter Special (DC)
Mark Russell, Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles, Green Lantern/Huckleberry Hound, Lex Luthor/Porky Pig (DC)

Best Penciler/Inker:
Mitch Gerads, Mister Miracle (DC)
Sonny Liew, Eternity Girl (Vertigo/DC)
Yanick Paquette, Wonder Woman Earth One, vol. 2 (DC)

Best Painter/Multimedia Artist:
Lee Bermejo, Batman: Damned (DC)

Best Cover Artist:
Nick Derington, Mister Miracle (DC)
Joshua Middleton, Batgirl and Aquaman variants (DC)

Best Colorist:
Jordie Bellaire, Batgirl, Batman (DC)
Tamara Bonvillain, Batman, Doom Patrol (DC)
Nathan Fairbairn, Batman, Batgirl, Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman Earth One, vol. 2 (DC)
Matt Hollingsworth, Batman: White Knight (DC)

Best Lettering:
Jared Fletcher, Batman: Damned (DC)
Todd Klein, Batman: White Night (DC); Eternity Girl, Books of Magic (Vertigo/DC)

2 Likes

Man, if Nick Derington doesn’t win for best cover artist I don’t know what’s up. His Mister Miracle work is all-time great.

1 Like

Congratulations to the nominees!

I have to say though…Batman for Best Ongoing? Good book, but the best?

2 Likes

I’d argue that, narratively, it’s DC’s most ambitious right now. Who else is telling a 100 issue long story arc?

1 Like

I like the positivity but great storytelling >>>> ambitious Batman.

1 Like

I have trust that history will vindicate King’s Batman run from even the most critical readers. It can be difficult to judge a story before it’s complete.

1 Like

I think Kings run will be considered a classic that other creators reference and build off from for years

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I’ll give King credit for ambition as I enjoy 99% of what I’ve read from his run. I just don’t see it as a contender for the best ongoing ATM.

Yeah, Nightmares wasn’t that good…

I really enjoyed Sean Murphy White Knight and Swamp Winter Special by Tom King

@Vroom So, I have to ask then: which ongoing series from 2018 do you think DOES deserve the Eisner?

@HCQ…that’s a tough one. Offhand… maybe Snyder’s Justice League? He captured the grandeur of the League very well while taking the post-Metal DCU in an interesting direction.

I might be a bit biased in that nomination though. I just didn’t like Priest’s run on the Rebirth Justice League all that much, so Snyder coming along with a new volume felt like a very welcome and much needed breath of fresh air for me.

I’ve also enjoyed The Green Lantern a great deal. It’s wonderfully odd and out there. Green Lanterns are going to come across some weird stuff in their travels and I think Morrison and Liam Sharp have perfectly exemplified that in their run so far.