Community Office Hours--Ask Jitsu Your Questions Every Tuesday Night!

Have fun

5 Likes

Hello @Jitsu :batman_hv_1:,
It’s your friendly neighborhood Reaganfan78, hope you’re doing well, this past week I’ve been reading Batman: No Man’s Land for the first time, so far I’m enjoying reading the long aftermath of Earthquake in Gotham, I started reading a few issues, when I ask @HubCityQuestion if DC has all the issues, and he had been a huge help, he send me a link to graphic novels, and it was alot easier to read with 6 graphic novels, it has all the books.
So for I’ve finish reading the first book of road to No Man’s Land, now I’m on a second book. I even made a thread to talk about what I read.
I haven’t read much of the second book yet, since I was taking a break. Looking forward to going back to reading it, Ultra subscription has been a huge help, love reading graphic story and old comics that’s not available on its own yet on DC Universe Infinite, hopefully someday.
Also I was thrill that Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm comic came out last week, I’m thinking later in couple of month to make a tribute thread to the late Mike Parobeck, and look at his work in DC comics.
So that’s what I’ve been up too this past week so far. Hope you have a great evening. :grinning:

Reaganfan78

7 Likes

That sounds like a book worth checking out. Thanks for the recommendation!

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the book recommendation! I had a wonderful time last week, and am stoked to be back in the saddle!

6 Likes

You’ve been busy, huh! I haven’t read Batman: No Man’s Land, I’ll have to check it out soon! Thanks for the update, and happy reading :thumbs_up_batman:

5 Likes

Wait I didn’t miss this, did I?!

4 Likes

Hello Jitsu, and welcome back! Hope your travels were safe, pleasant and everything you hoped and expected them to be. No Trivia Corner this week. I’ve other, more serious things weighing on my mind, at the moment.

Comics usually prefer to “stay in their lane” so to speak. One of providing entertainment only, to the masses. As for DC, that meant dealing more with the Darkseid’s, Ra’s al Ghul’s and Injustice Society’s of the world, as opposed to the corrupt politicians, racketeers and greedy corporations using the laws to their own benefit. I’m not saying that Batman, Green Arrow and even Swamp Thing don’t do all they can to stop them, because they do. But it seems to me, that it’s been a long time since DC took a stand, and made a statement on something like the drug epidemic that got Roy Harper hooked, over 50 years ago. It was another Green Arrow story in Brave & the Bold back then (which introduced the “new look” GA), that dealt with the shooting of a State Senator, merely as a plot device. Forgotten, and moved on from, by the next issue. Drugs and guns, still very much with us today, and worse than ever.

Now maybe DC’s taken another stand, I’m unaware of, on the “new” drug problems facing America. This time, sweeping through the suburban neighborhoods, and not the inner-cities of our nation. Or worse, the crisis of gun violence and mass shootings that make the news, almost every day! I was going to get into the creation of new automatic weapons that tear through Kevlar like tissue paper, and how the Founders in setting up the 2nd amendment, only knew of single shot muskets. And never in their darkest dreams, ever envisioned the era of the AR-15. Yes, I’m sure that some degree of mental deficiency is at play in most of these life taking, criminal assaults. But without the easy availability of firearms, those actions would’ve been very different. But that might ignite a debate, that is best held elsewhere.

As I said, I’m unaware of any comic stories that have seriously looked at the problems of gun availability, and the long term consequences they present. Something that would make the same kind of headlines and the evening news anyway, that Speedy’s addiction did, back in “Snowbirds Don’t Fly” from GL/GA in 1971. Looking back on that story now, I can’t think of a sidekick with a more perfect name, given his problem. And sure, Batman’s dealt with guns and the aftermath of their use in many stories over the years. But nothing that stands out like that Green Arrow & Speedy story of long ago. If I’m wrong about that, please advise me of such stories.

Anyway, Just wanted to get that out there, for any feedback by you and our little listening community. Thanks for letting me bend your ear. I’ll see you guys next week.

6 Likes

Thanks for this thoughtful comment–even if it’s not a Trivia Corner entry, it’s still appreciated!

My personal take: I think comics, as with a lot of entertainment media, is a reflection of who we are, and what we struggle with. I think largely, comics are a vehicle that we can “take” to a potentially new perspective–and as a result, are much more open to metaphor than in previous eras of comic book writing. Concepts like gun violence can have thousands of ripple effects that impact individuals in so many varying ways, the stories that we see coming out of comic studios are, perhaps, nuanced in how they “take a stand”. And in a world/fandom with so many branching “realities” and chronologies, so many “stands” can be taken throughout. I think Sean Murphy’s work on his White Knight Universe is a great example–we’re given a pretty fresh perspective on an iconic group of characters, whose stories take a specific stand on socioeconomics and the political engine.

Allllllllll’s that to say is that I think you raise a really interesting and compelling point! These are the discussions I really enjoy reading/participating in–so thanks for the opportunity. Have a great week!

6 Likes

Not at all! :smiley:

5 Likes

great! so jitsu…

Of all the #community-game we have, which ones have stood out to you?

5 Likes

Oooh I like this one! In no particular order, I really like the conceptual ones like Who Would Win or “Create Your Own Superhero Team”. The ones that lead to fun debates or discussions are generally my fave!

What about you?

5 Likes

Riddler Wednesday stand out to me, guessing a riddle is so much fun.:grinning:

5 Likes

comes up for air from Tears of the Kingdom long enough to ask a question

Ahoy, ahoy, Office of Justice! I hope everyone is well!

I’ve finally been getting through Tom King’s Batman run from the Rebirth years. And the lead up to Bats and Cat’s wedding has a really great Joker story (that I remember was one of DC’s offerings for Free Comic Book Day that year). It features an excellent Joker joke:

Do you have any favorite Joker jokes or gags (or gags from any comic) that you love and sticks with you? I still use this Joker joke today. (Literally the same terrifying delivery, too.)

Hope you’re having a great night and week (so far).

4 Likes

To anyone who seeks out this particular comic: Don’t get me wrong. I said it was a great Joker story, but be warned… It’s darrrrk.

(Batman (Rebirth) by Tom King —Vol. 7 in the graphic novels, DC Nation #0 from 2018’s FCBD)

4 Likes

If you don’t mind me stepping in: a number of Batman comics have been written on this subject over the years. Some are better than others, but the one I’d recommend most is a oneshot called The Hill.

6 Likes

As I said, I’m looking for a stand out story. If you feel this fits the bill, I will check it out. Thanks!

5 Likes

Keeping with my more traditional material, this Trivia Corner was gonna be a " twofer." Since parts of it are tied together. But that would make this post longer than it needs to be. So, Ill brake it up, and post part 2 next week. This week’s topic is the First son of Krypton, Superman! It deals with a subject I first broached over on “You Might Be Old, If …” this past Feb. The subject was " What does Superman do with his Clark Kent clothes, when he changes identities? " The answer to that I found, was first revealed in World’s Finest #68, from 1954. The story title, Menace from the Stars!.

Superman is dealing with amnesia, and doesn’t know who he is. He does however, discover a secret pouch in his cape. In it, he finds a pair of shoes, a man’s suit, white shirt and tie, and a pair of glasses. All of which he puts on, rather than walk around in that colorful getup, attracting attention. His memory is returned by story’s end of course. And we’ve all learned for the first time, where, the Man of Steel hides his clothes, when he’s out doing super-stuff. More particular questions would arise about this, only to be dealt with, years later.

More than 10 years after Menace from the Stars!, that story would be revisited and revised quite a bit, in Superman #178, from 1965. Story title. " When Superman Lost His Memory." Some scenes and dialogue are copied almost verbatim, from the World’s Finest story. Only now, with the additional explanation, that Clark’s clothes are all specially treated to become compressible and wrinkle free. Allowing Superman to fold them down to handkerchief size and be placed in the secret pocket of his cape.

This “device” has appeared in some present day stories, when convenient. But it remains merely a clever “foil” for writers to use (or not) depending (as always) on the needs of the story.

Here’s an added little “bonus” I just picked up, from the Adventures of Superman season 1 episode # 19. Show title “The Evil 3.” While on a fishing trip, Perry and Jimmy become involved with some strange goings on at an “out-of-the-way” motel, while seeking lodging for the night. Some dangerous and peculiar people there, are looking for hidden treasure. And it all involves a man named George Taylor. That name ring any bells out there, Super-fans? :grinning:

Well, 'til Morticia meets Elvira …

Stay safe, be well.

6 Likes

Okay, as much as I enjoyed Superman 2, this was one aspect of the movie I did not understand:

8 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :joy: and some more :rofl: Oh God, I’d forgotten all about that bit of absolute nonsense that played out in the Fortress. Thanks, I needed that! :smile:

7 Likes