Community Office Hours--Ask Jitsu Your Questions Every Tuesday Night!

Im really hyped for Waller!

6 Likes

enters the Office of Justice, realizing it’s been a quiet night

Yo! Happy Office Hours!

DC has recently done another Spawn/Batman. I know from previous Office Hours that you specifically like that combo. How have you enjoyed it thus far?

Are there any other cross I.P. combos with DC characters you’d like to see? (Please disregard this if it puts you in any sticky “I shouldn’t be saying this…” territories.)

6 Likes

I deffffinitely have enjoyed the new Batman/Spawn! It’s a nice experience reading through a story of such classic characters, with a very defined “attitude”, but in a more modern tone (that is to say, waaaaay less “edgy” than it was in the 90s). I’m super excited to see it continue!

Oh man, this is a fun one! Nobody can stop me from talking about crossovers, thankfully! :drpsycho_smirkhqtas:

I’d looove to see a Blue Beetle / Spiderman crossover–for pretty obvious reasons, this seems like a really fun idea. Similarly, a proper Dr. Fate/Dr. Strange crossover event would be really interesting too. Luckily we have Amalgam’s Dr. Strangefate, but a “sanctioned” crossover with both characters either working together or fighting sounds like a blast to me!

6 Likes

That like an origin story for her?

6 Likes

No it’s just a show centering around her I think

5 Likes

If you look up the DC Database, you 'll find her origin story as well as a pretty complete background history on her. All of which fits in right well with Black History Month, I must admit! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Any release date for “Waller”?

6 Likes

Not that I know of

5 Likes

This being Black History month, I thought A brief personal history observation, might be in order. This one goes back more than a few decades, to a young boy getting one of his first professional haircuts. It was probably a Saturday afternoon at the local neighborhood Barbershop. In the center of the smoky waiting area, was a coffee table. On it, were days old newspapers, even older magazines, and some of those comic books I was starting to see for the first time. There, for the kids like me, who came in to get “clipped.” I was beginning to learn how to read, about then. But not enough to understand most of what I saw on the pages of an old, cover-less, Captain Marvel comic.

I was already watching Superman on the small blk/wht tv set we had at home. And was thrilled by his adventures, like millions of other kids. This Captain Marvel guy did a lot of the same stuff. So he seemed pretty cool too. Interestingly, he was really just a boy, who said a magic word, to become a super-powered adult. Then, I saw something that really imprinted on me. Billy Batson, had a young valet, who’s name was Steamboat. Whoa! That was probably the first time I’d ever seen a black person in a comic book. I would later learn that his stereotypical appearance and language, were the accepted norm in Society back then. I guess, he was supposed to be Fawcett’s answer to Ebony White, over in the Spirit newspaper strip. I don’t ever recall seeing that kind of depiction at DC. But then, I didn’t look at, or read everything DC published at that time, either.

Keep in mind, all this was pre Civil-Rights movement of the 60s. Black wasn’t “beautiful” yet (to coin a phrase). The occasional racist cartoons still showed up on television. Along with the usual stereotype characters who appeared in old movies from the 30s and 40s. The only others I ever saw on the small screen that were given to America on a weekly basis, were Beulah and Amos 'n Andy. Live action carryovers, from radio. So this Steamboat character really stood out for me. Pretty sure that was the last time I ever saw him, though. And no one else like him comes to mind, as people of color were ironically, pretty much invisible in the media. Unless you happen to be Asian. Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto were pretty popular Saturday afternoon tv movies as I recall. And of course, Native Americans made great fall guys for the Western heroes of the day, on the big and little screens. I could go on, but you get the point.

Captain Marvel (now under new ownership) would return to comics decades later. And he brought most of his old supporting cast with him. Only now, with some obvious, and notable exceptions. These days, because of legal reasons, he goes by Shazam. And has a new movie coming out in March! Some of his new adopted family members are an Asian boy named Eugene, a Latino lad named Pedro, and a precious young black girl named Darla. All of whom share Billy’s powers when they transform. How 'bout that!

Yeah, things have changed a lot, since I was a kid. Fortunately, much of it, for the better. SHAZAM! Look for Trivia Corner to return with it’s more familiar content, next week. :slightly_smiling_face:

Stay safe, be well.

PS - Loved the Flash trailer. Really lookin’ forward to the new “Keaton” movie! :grinning:

8 Likes

Hello @Jitsu :batman_hv_1:,
Happy Valentine’s Day! Hope you’re having a great day.
I don’t have any question, so I’m just dropping by to say hi. :grinning:

8 Likes

Hi @Jitsu how ya doing? Is there any info on if we are going to get more collected editions? Just wondering. Thanks!

7 Likes

This was such an awesome personal story, thanks so much for sharing that. And as always, we appreciate the Trivia Corner tonight! Have an awesome week, friend!

8 Likes

Hey @Jitsu! In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, what’s your favorite DC relationship?

7 Likes

Hellooo! Happy Heart Day–I hope it’s a good one!

6 Likes

Happy Valentines Day @Jitsu , which Marvel and Dc Character would make the best couple?

6 Likes

Keep an eye out! We’re aaaaalways adding new content on a rolling basis. so look for our updates on what’s coming to the DCUI service.

7 Likes

@Jitsu I always do! Thanks for the answer!

7 Likes

Anytime, friend! :smiley:

7 Likes

Oooh, fun question! It feels like a cop-out, but Bats and Cats has been such an interesting dynamic to me. I personally think Batman struggles with it because of his duty to protect Gotham and his hatred of criminals, but Catwoman always seems to slip under his radar. The power dynamic has shifted in so many cool ways over the years, it’s just been really entertaining to follow.

What about you?

6 Likes

Happy Heart Day!!!

I love this question…c-c-c-c-crossover! I can absolutely see myself getting waaaay too invested in a Dr. Fate / Dr. Strange relationship. Their individual wittiness combined with their flair for the dramatic would make them a really fun pair. I’d be suuuuuper into a sitcom or a dating show with those two haha.

Who would be your picks?

6 Likes