Community Office Hours--Ask Jitsu Your Questions Every Tuesday Night!

Hey there Jitsu! January’s more than half over now, and I was wondering when we’d discover the new Community Member of the Month.

Also: how’s that badge implementation going?

9 Likes

@Jitsu do you think you might participate in any watch along events in the future? I’m not sure, but do you or anyone know if moderators ever participate in such events?

7 Likes

Howdy @Jitsu hope the new year is off to a fantastic start for you and the DCU staff. A simple question, which comic arc would you most like to see animated, besides Batman/Spawn?

4 Likes

They use to in the past like Kittycrawler, Applejack, & Pretty.Poison.Bombshell.Even @Alec.Holland hosted his first Watch Along when he first came, it was Swamp Thing.
It would be great to see any of the Moderators can do the watch along again. :smiley:

5 Likes

Hello @Jitsu :batman_hv_1:,
It’s your friendly neighborhood Reaganfan78! Hope you’re doing great, my question of the day to you is… When guessing the Riddler’s Riddle of a week, are we allow to guess more then 1 answer?
Speaking of Riddler, which Riddler version do you like the best in tv & shows? Also what’s your favorite Riddler commic book story? Thankyou. :smiley:

Reaganfan78

:riddlerhqtas: :You were suppose to understand. I’ll make you understand Reaganfan78!

:cold_sweat:

5 Likes

Well, if he can make it, I’d love to have him at the Teen Titans Go watch along I’ll be hosting this coming Thursday night. I’d like to host more watch alongs, but I just hope I can plan them properly without having to get help.

5 Likes

Been looking forward to answering this question since last week!

Generally speaking, I think establishing a direct touchpoint between brands and their communities is really powerful. Having worked in community for a handful of years, I can confidently say that every time there was a direct touchpoint (like this community site, for example) where users/community members can communicate directly with a brand or a service, that community was much better off. Of course, all brands have a social media presence, which certainly allow consumers/users/community members communicate with brands, but even that is an open ecosystem, whereas this DC Community site is a self-sustaining platform that acts as an extension of the overall DC Comics digital ecosystem.

Previously, I worked for Bethesda Softworks, and I helped build a site for that community that was very similar in structure and tone to this site. Building, breaking, rebuilding, and iterating on that site from beginning to end allowed me to really see how important having a dedicated community ecosystem really is–so I was very stoked when I learned that DC had this site!

TLDR: I’m certainly not the greatest expert in all of community management, but in my experience, consumer brands (especially ones that create a narrative experience like comics or video games) should establish a dedicated community ecosystem, in which their community members feel incentivized and encouraged to engage with the brand and each other.

8 Likes

Suuuuure am! I still need to catch up on the last issue, but I’m very much in it. Absolutely loving it, as expected…what about you?

6 Likes

Sometimes it’s tough to attend WALs depending on the timeframe, but I’d certainly love to attend more this year! Are you a frequent WAL enjoyer?

6 Likes

Hey hey!

Great question. We’ll be kicking off all our monthly programming (Community Member of the Month, DC Book Club, DC Fanworks, Q&As) at the beginning of February! We’re taking January to set the stage for what should be a great year. Lot’s happening behind the scenes, so there’s a fair amount of planning involved…but not too much longer to wait now!

We’re actively working on this–but it’s certainly proven to be more complicated than anticipated. We have a meeting on the books for later this week, so hopefully we can get through these obstacles and get them badges out!

9 Likes

Ahh, you know me well enough to exclude Batman/Spawn :rofl:

I really enjoy Wonder Woman: Evolution, and I think it would really make for a fantastic animated adaptation. Aside from that, I would LOVE to see a Jurassic League animated series–I just feel like there are so many awesome directions that could go!

What about you? Any that stand out as must-haves?

6 Likes

pokes head into the Office of Justice

Hey, everyone! stands in silence for three seconds while listening to the sitcom applause track in his head

Gung Hay Fat Choy! Happy Lunar New Year, this upcoming Sunday. Hope all are well as we close the Year of the Tiger. If you guys haven’t checked it out yet, go for some Monkey Prince on your DCUI apps!

But, @Jitsu, IRL it’s going to be The Year of the Rabbit. In the DC Universe, what should we celebrate? What do you think it should be the year of?

6 Likes

Heyoo! Hope you’re having a great day as well!

Absolutely! You can submit as many as you like. I always appreciate how much you enjoy Riddler Wednesdays!

Oooh this one is tough. I admittedly will always have a soft spot for Jim Carey’s portrayal in Batman Forever. I don’t think it was particularly good, but it was very memorable to say the least. If I had to choose an absolute all-time favorite, I’d probably have to go with Paul Dano’s portrayal in last year’s film. I’m a massive true crime fan, and his approach to portraying Riddler with almost a serial killer vibe was really impressive. I totally accept that it’s a bit of a departure from what we previously knew the Riddler to be, but I thought it was super captivating.

Honorable mention for me has to be John Glover from TAS. Just a fantastic and TRUE Riddler on display.

As far as the comics go, I admittedly haven’t read that many Riddler books…but Hush is absolutely my #1 pick! Just an iconic story with lots of twists n turns.

What about you–got a favorite Riddler?

7 Likes

On today’s Trivia Corner, we look back on Jack Kirby. A man who was called the “King of Comics” for good reason. His imagination and dynamic storytelling were seen by his many fans, as unsurpassed on the comic book page. Some of our most famous and loved characters came into existence at his hands. Darkseid & the New Gods, Kamandi, Silver Surfer, the Hulk and so many others. But, even the King was not above “borrowing” from other greats. In the case of the Demon, Etrigan, much of Jack’s inspiration came from none other than comic-strip legend, Hal Foster!

In an early Prince Valiant adventure, Valiant disguises himself as a “demon” to deal with an ogre and some boastful outlaws allies. Wearing a cape, booties, and a bizarre face-mask (very much the look of Etrigan), Valiant routes them all, and brings an end to the ogre. That, plus the fact that all of this transpires in Camelot, and the days of Merlin & King Arthur, are not coincidental. And all of which Jack used as background for his character. In comics Golden Age of the 40s, the artists who “borrowed” from Foster and Alex Raymond, would fill a small phone-book. But, to his credit, Jack always admitted this, and held Foster and Raymond in the very highest regard.

And. while it may not be a Comic Adaptation of Classic Literature (you’re welcome), it’s close enough, in my book. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, that’s all for now. Our Boy Scout motto of the day, is “always be prepared.” And remember, when you start your day with a good hearty breakfast, it should always include a big bowl of Wheaties, breakfast of champions! So long 'til next time boys 'n girls!

6 Likes

Happy Lunar New Year, friend!

Hooo man, I like this question. I’m thinking year of the wolf…hear me out:

Wolves are pack animals, and tend to do better in numbers…and with The Flash, Aquaman, Blue Beetle, and Shazam films all coming out this year, it seems like there will be some preeeeeetty incredible team ups in our near future. Strength in numbers!

Whatcha think??

6 Likes

It depends on the watch along. Also the time and day of the event.

6 Likes

This is great! I love it and I’m for it!

4 Likes

The Great Darkness Saga, I think would make for an awesome animated limited series, Jurassic League would rock as well, and lastly but not least I would love a Legion of Doom or Secret Society of Super Villains animated series, villains need some love.

5 Likes

My favorite Riddler will always be Jim Carrey, cause he was funny and a great character, about a month and 1/2 before my friend passaway, his mom made him a Riddler costume for him on Halloween, he wasn’t a huge Batman fan, he just love how Jim Carrey play the Riddler. So that always hold a special place in my heart.
Also my favorite Riddler comic is The Batman Adventures #10. :slightly_smiling_face:
And thankyou.

6 Likes

@Jitsu, what would you think of animated movies based on Dc’s Earth One Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman?

7 Likes