Community Office Hours--Ask Jitsu Your Questions Every Tuesday Night!

Hello @Jitsu :batman_hv_1:,
It’s your friendly neighborhood Reaganfan78, hope you’re doing well today. :slightly_smiling_face:
So…What shall we talk about today?
It’s 4th of July week! :us:
Hope you, your family & friends have a wonderful day on 248 anniversary of our independence. :grinning:
How well do you know our American history? Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence.
On its 50th Anniversary in 1826, both President John Adams & Jefferson died on the same day, with Jefferson first, his last words were “Is it…the fourth?”
Hours later Adams last words was “Thomas Jefferson still survive.”
Of course there was no way he could’ve known Jefferson just passaway.
In 1831, Our 5th President James Monroe also passaway on the fourth.
Ok on a happier side, Calvin Coolidge our 30th President was the only President to be born on 4th of July, he was born in 1872. :slightly_smiling_face:

Moving on, on July 11, it’ll be my 24th anniversary of Kidney transplant, so far my health is doing good, and can’t wait til July 15!

Today DC releases alot of great comics to read! Looking forward to reading My Adventures With Superman, Batman & Scooby-Doo mystery, there’s a Batman comic that said Batman Vs. Batman, now that look interesting.

So are you looking forward to seeing Batman: Caped Crusader? I am, I’ve waited 2 or 3 years for it, I just wish it would be on Max.
The Penguin is coming in September, I’m so excited for that one as well! :penguin_smirkhqtas:

Edit: whoops! I forgot community member of the week, Community member of the week is… @msgtv . He really a great club leader and really enjoy learning about the history of DC Comics.
Now he’s doing a classic book reading each month, please have him as a community member of the month cause he really deserve it. :slightly_smiling_face:
Plus I’m forever thankful for his service, :saluting_face::us: and I’m so glad that he made a popular thread that was based on my thread Reaganfan78’s Journal. :laughing:
Anyway, I’m thankful I’ve got to know him on here and he does have a funny sense of humor also!

Hope you have a great evening and great week. :slightly_smiling_face:

Reaganfan78

9 Likes

When the Discord launches will there be monthly posts to replace the “What’s New on DC Universe Infinite & ULTRA” posts? I find them very helpful and look forward to them.

7 Likes

Thats too kind of you

6 Likes

Yep! We will be posting the “What’s New” lists here and on Discord until this site closes. After that, they’ll continue to be posted to Discord.

5 Likes

You too! Hope its a good one!

What a milestone! I hope your health continues to improve–I’m glad things are looking good.

Yeah, I’m reaaaaaaally excited for it. I’ve seen the first two episodes, and was very impressed at how well they captured the vibe of BTAS. Between that, Penguin, and Kite Man, there’s going to be some great DC TV to watch this fall.

Love this support for a fellow community member! :clap:

4 Likes

Hello @Jitsu :batman_hv_1:,
It’s your friendly neighborhood Reaganfan78, hope you’re doing great as always. :slightly_smiling_face:
So…what shall we talk about?
We are just 6 days away from DC on Discord, I sure would love to hear more about it. My only main concern is, when a thread is made, say ‘Awesome Comic Reading’ to throw that in. After a while, the thread dissappear from a view, it’s still around, but nobody is seeing it unless I somehow bring it up.
Hope there’s a way to keep a thread from dissappearing.
Beside that, I’ve really don’t have alot to say. Hope you have a great week.:grinning:
As for Community member of the week, I pick @Sean-Malloy! :medal_sports:
Reason is while he ask alot of great questions, he’s a great community member to have around, and I hope he’ll continue to be part of DC Community on Discord. :slightly_smiling_face:

Reaganfan78

5 Likes

Hey Jitsu. I’m just here to say that DC is better than Marvel. That’s all. Thank you for your time.

4 Likes

Also, I’m rereading some of the post here and…

I. Drink. Your. MILKSHAKE!!!

Ok that’s all. Maybe. We’ll see :rofl:

3 Likes

Well, since I prematurely jumped ship (so to speak), forgetting that things would continue here at least through the end of the month, allow me to try to play catch up, having missed last week. Jitsu brought an Anthony Bourdain, Vertigo graphic novel to my attention. Published in 2013, it sounded interesting (as did it’s prequel which came out three years later). I picked them up, and thought a brief review, in place of Trivia Corner, might be in order.

First, let me say, that while I’ve been aware of Anime and Manga material for many decades now, I’ve never been a follower. When Astro Boy, Speed Racer, Gigantor and Kimba, the White Lion (for whom Disney’s Lion King owes much), hit American tv screens back in the 60s, I took note, like most other kids watching cartoons back then. But for whatever reason (like Manga comics) they just didn’t catch on with me. Over the years, I’ve come to see just as much variety and style of stories, as has always existed in our own newspaper strips. Many aimed at adult audiences. Enter Bourdain’s Get Jiro and Get Jiro: Blood & Sushi.

If ever any GN deserved to be brought to the attention of Quentin Tarantino, it’s this pair. In B&S, Bourdain looks at a Yukza trained young man, with ambitions of being a master chef. As unique an approach to this genre, as any I’ve ever seen. Having the luxury of reading the prequel first, allows one to follow Jiro’s path in linear fashion. Bourdain’s use of food and the training an apprentice chef goes through, gave me a better appreciation of what contestants on these Top Chef programs must go through, away from the lights and pressures of competing on those shows. Not unlike a martial arts student, laboring before their Sensi, in a dojo. And outside of a culinary class, where else would I find such information on cooking and food prep, so entertainingly presented? :smile:

The art styles in both novels are very different. And yet, each remains true to the characters, and story being told. Jiro’s family (his brother in particular, a real peace of work, that one), are arch types present in movies and other medium usage of such characters. His aged and wise teacher, is very much a mister Miyagi (wax on, wax off) clone. But that was to be expected. He plays an important part in Jiro’s development. In Get Jiro, the initial novel which actually introduced our master carver, we first learn of the alternate world in which these characters exist. As well as the power which chef’s wield, as ruling crime lords over their different territories. To say that our renegade chef carves his own path among his competition, would be putting it mildly. :hocho: In any case, I’ll certainly have a greater appreciation of my next sushi meal. :smile: On my personal Rotten Tomatoes scale, I’d give them both, a solid 8!

That’s a wrap, see ya next week!

2 Likes

Hey all! Just a heads up that tonight is the final Office Hours!

Given my bandwidth with the upcoming Discord server launch, weekly Office Hours isn’t feasible for much longer. Maybe down the road I can set Office Hours up on a monthly basis, should the need arise!

That being said, I appreciate everyone who has come to Office Hours over the last 3ish years. The questions, thought-starters, and discussions have been memorable, and I’m thankful to have had the opportunity to be here with you all!

6 Likes

Well, looks like I won’t be here next week, after all. Oh well, take care my friend. We’ll still keep in touch! :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Goodbye Office Hours! :cry: You’ve been a great office with a Noir vibe, now @Jitsu boxing up his stuff to a more of a up to date Modern Office vibe at Discord!
:smiley: Thankyou @Jitsu, it has been great! See you at Discord my friend.

HEY CAREFUL WITH THAT!!! Sorry, you just can’t trust the movers to do your work. HEY! Careful with that Penguin bust! [Crash!] :man_facepalming: It’s gonna be a long day, see you later, hope I made you laugh. :grin:

2 Likes

You too! Hope you’re having a solid week.

Depending on what kind of channel it is (text channel vs forum channel) some things will be more visible than others. But as far as forum threads are concerned–those will probably be the most visible!

Great pick! I’m looking forward to keeping the CMoM tradition going on Discord!

Have a great week!

3 Likes

Both are great!

3 Likes

This makes me so happy to see! And on the final Office Hours, no less. I really really enjoyed the book (and the prequel book!), looking forward to reading on…

Having grown up watching popular anime (Pokemon, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, many many others), I’ve always been pretty close to the anime and manga communities. To your point about targeting adult audiences, just about an hour ago I ordered 4 volumes of the manga adaptation of my (current) favorite video game: Elden Ring. Anime and manga have truly never been more popular than they are now, and it’s been very fun to engage with so much incredible content. Fun fact: the highest grossing film of all time in Japan is 2020s Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba – The Movie, which is based on a very popular manga and anime series. The movie’s #1 ranking is followed by Spirited Away and Titanic!

The prequel book really did provide some really cool insights into the culinary world.

I really enjoyed the setting, in which chefs are regarded as powerful icons–similar to what Yakuza members were considered. It brought a sense of chaos to an already chaotic field, and created a wonderful sense of tension. A wonderful review, and one that I agree with!

While this won’t be the case, I do hope we cross paths again! Thank you again for your consistency, passion, and knowledge. It was a wonderful experience! :thumbs_up_batman:

3 Likes

Will you still be on the server?

4 Likes