Community Office Hours--Ask Jitsu Your Questions Every Tuesday Night!

Hello @Jitsu :batman_hv_1:,
It’s your friendly neighborhood Lincolnfan78, hope you’re doing great!
Just love reading @wrightline1.42741 's trivia, it’s always an honor to post after him!
Love watching Adam West Batman since I was a kid. He’s a true hero in my book. After being typecast as Batman, he didn’t get him down with regrets, instead he accepted it and would still have a great career!
I always thought the grey Ghost Simon Trent from Batman the animated series was based on him, as it turns out, it’s based on the different actor! Al Hodge who did a kids show, Captain Video and his Video Rangers!
No one wanted to hire that poor man. In his hotel room where he live, he had ton of Captain video collectable stuff like Simon Trent.
Hey @wrightline1.42741 speaking of Lee Meriwether, I’ve met her at a Star Trek convention, she was so nice, I remember thinking she look like she could play Commissioner Barbara Gordon in a live action Batman Beyond film, it was great talking about Batman movies with her. :smiley:
Anyway Wrestlemania is this Saturday, I can’t wait to watch it, hope it’ll be good. Hope you have a great evening.

Lincolnfan78

:tophat:

3 Likes

Just wanna say I really appreciate bringing back talent after a run is complete for a post-book interview. I think that’s a cool idea.

4 Likes

What is a list of canonical appearances of Mxy and Bat-mite on DCUI?

4 Likes

Appreciate the kind words, as always. Had the pleasure of meeting Frank Gorshin once, my favorite Riddler. But never any of the Catwomen. Ms Meriwether is everything you say, and more. From Batman to Time Tunnel and Barnaby Jones, she was a wonderful part of our time growing up. And a living example of a true Miss America success story! And as for Batman Beyond, couldn’t agree more. Would love to see WB/Discovery kick start that live action idea again. Keaton and Meriwether would be perfect for those roles! :smile:

4 Likes

Eager to read on!

For me, she’s a close second to Michelle Pfeiffer!

I had no idea! Great find.

Hah, just checked this out–it was a fantastic watch!

Haven’t started it yet! I just finished getting caught up on some other storylines, so now I’m ready to dive in! Will keep you posted. :thumbs_up_batman:

4 Likes

Hello hello! Likewise!

I always enjoy it too!

Ooh, this is a great fact–thanks for sharing. :thumbs_up_batman:

You too!

3 Likes

Heck yeah! Glad you’re a fan of that format–we definitely want to do more of it!

5 Likes

Hooo man, this one might take a few more brains than just mine. Let me do some digging and see if I can get that info for you!

4 Likes

4 Likes

I can just picture the whole DC squad in a room with Jitsu leading like this:

5 Likes

A sad post script to my Batman '66 email above. Barbara Rush, who many Batman fans knew as Nora Clavicle, in the 3rd Season of the Batman series from the 60s, passed away on March 31st. This Hollywood beauty was prominent in a variety of Big Screen features from the 50s and 60s. Among them, It Came From Outer Space, When Worlds Collide and the Young Philadelphians. Her quiet nature and beauty always made for a memorable screen performance. Condolences to her family and many fans.

4 Likes

:rofl:

4 Likes

I should remind you that you can always ASK… THE QUESTION.

4 Likes

Yeah I meant to post it in that thread

3 Likes

Hello @Jitsu :batman_hv_1:,
It’s your friendly neighborhood Lincolnfan78, hope you’re doing great!:grinning:
What a weekend! Did you watch or went to see Wrestlemania in Philadelphia? That was so awesome to watch, from the comfort of my own home. Don’t think I wanted to be out in the cold for 6 hours!
My favorite wrestler Cody Rhodes finally won his first ever Undisputed World Heavyweight championship. I’m really happy for him.
He has this great catchphrase “Finish the story.”
Now what story for DC Universe community board do I need to finish? Being the club leader? Nope, finish that last year, going back to reading 1 comic per day? You know I didn’t finish that and way behind, think I’ll go back to finish what I started, reading 1 comic per day and talk about each comic I read! :grinning:
And what about Smallville, counting how many time Clark was hit by Kryptonite?:thinking:
So far I’ve done the first 8 episodes, now I’ve got 2 stories that I need to finish, and hopefully I can get both done by January 1st, 2025! :slightly_smiling_face:
You may notice I haven’t done any Minecraft artwork for a while, so hopefully I’ll get back to that soon.
Anyway I hope you have a great evening.

Lincolnfan78

:tophat:

P.S. I forgot to tell you that I recently found out that ‘Reagan’ movie starring Dennis Quaid is finally coming out on August 30th! I’ve waited four years to see this movie, I can’t wait! :grinning:
Who knows, maybe Reaganfan78 will return at that time!

3 Likes

From 1984 to 1996, DC held the publishing rights to Star Trek comics. And a great deal was done with it during that time. DC had a lot of creative talent involved then. And a lot of love was shown the crews of the original show, and the Next Generation that followed. And, just as ST: Lower Decks transitioned to live action in ST: Strange New Worlds, so to were characters from ST: the Animated Series adapted in to the DC titles. DC would continue it’s association with Trek into the 21st century, with a couple of crossover mini-series, I say all this as a background set-up for today’s Trivia Corner. As I take a second look, at Star Trek 5 - The Final Frontier, from 1989.

Often derided as the worst of the Trek films. It placed well below the first, Star Trek, the Motion Picture, by many. STTMP for it’s opening big screen salvo, wasn’t a bad movie. It just wasn’t the Star Trek, all we Trekkies knew and loved. Robert Wise (an excellent director) just didn’t know the characters very well, at all. And so, he chose to go with viewer spectacle, short changing the cast and story, in the process. Of the two, #5 has still got the best character interactions between the three leads of all the films (in my humble opinion). As a result, my original rating for Final Frontier, was a 5 out of 10 for exactly those reasons. But, time as they say, is a great healer. So I will say that after a recent re-viewing of that film (now, seen through the eyes of today’s political climate, and a certain Svengali like, charismatic personality), I feel that many of my initial observations were clouded, by a Trekkie purist mindset. Much like those followers of the film’s villain. Fortunately, after many years, I have come to see the light! WARNING: Spoilers Ahead!

The movie’s lead “villain” is a renegade Vulcan named Sybok. Wonderfully played by Lawrence Luckinbill. Possessed of amazing physic abilities, and driven by passionate emotions. Emotions which he had embraced rather than suppress. Whether this fed his telepathic powers or not, I don’t recall. It allowed him to become quite a messianic figure to his followers, and rather delusional. Both strong and weak minded people all fell sway to his personal magnetism. Including members of the Enterprise crew. All believing he could lead them to the promised land. Sybok, now having gained control of the ship, proceeds to follow some mental calling, directing him to the mythical planet of Sha-Ka-Ree, at the center of the Galaxy. It is there, that he and we, finally meet … God? The “presence”, announcing himself in true Godly fashion, says he will use the Enterprise to spread his magnifance to the outer worlds. Kirk (taking this all in), wonders " what “God” needs with a star-ship." Good question. God does not like to be challenged, and makes this known to the Captain. This action apparently shakes Sybok out of his mind controlled, blind worship of this alien entity. Realizing at last, he is not a prophet for a God, but for a Devil. Needless to say our heroes prevail in the end. But not without loss.

By the time this came out, people were very bothered by the " Star Trek meets God " word-of-mouth that was the internet of it’s day. Bad reviews of the Bill Shatner directed film, got ahead of everything. This was the most poorly reviewed Trek film to date. With a 21% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, Whew! The original storyline (which went through rewrites and changes of course), was from an idea from Shatner. Inspired by the growing phenomenon of televangelists. He was concerned that a high potential for fraud existed among practitioners. That flocks of followers are easily swayed by a charismatic leader. This was his way of addressing the subject. I applaud his initiative. Sadly, it was not so well received at the time. I hope others will go back and give it a second look, as I did. If I had to rate the film today. I’d give it a solid 7.

Any comparisons between this 35 year old sci-fi film, and real life people, places or things, is purely, coincidental. Well, that’s a wrap. Have a wonderful and thoughtful evening, y’all. .

4 Likes

Likewise! :wave:

I didn’t watch it, but I did read about it! I have a handful of friends who are big wrestling fans too, and they shared your sentiment about the event. Sounds like an awesome time!

Quite the busy individual! I usually read a bit before bed, but sometimes I don’t get very far before getting too tired hah. Reading a book every day sounds awesome though.

Oooooo, I like this idea! If you go through with it, I’ll look forward to your report on the final number!

Love that idea! Your MC art was always so great. I saw that Minecraft Legends is one of April’s PlayStation Plus free games, and I was thinking of giving it a shot! Have you played that?

Have an awesome week! :thumbs_up_batman:

3 Likes

I’m always so eager to learn about Star Trek history/lore, mostly because it’s so foreign to me. I think I’ve mentioned before that I somehow entirely missed the star Trek fandom, and went the route of The Shire instead.

As a core fan, do you find this to be a move that makes the film not worth watching for newer fans?

This entire summary/description makes it sound like something I’d enjoy.

Hey, not bad!

Likewise, friend!

Oh, also ! I wanted you to know that I’m about halfway through The Other History of the DC Universe. What a fantastic read it’s been so far! Every time I read more, I’ve been so engrossed in the new POV the book provides–it definitely makes the DC Universe much more grounded to me. Despite having incredible powers, all of our beloved heroes grapple with real human tribulations, emotions, and pains. I’m just now getting to Katana’s story, and it’s been a delight thus far–so thank you for the recommendation! Would love to have a chat once I finish it.

Take care! :thumbs_up_batman:

4 Likes

Hey, glad you’re enjoying the book. Will look forward to that chat.

And if my review of ST Final Frontier is accurate enough, to have wet your appetite for a viewing, I’ll consider my post, worthwhile. And if I had to recommend any Trek episodes or films to really get into what all the Hub-bub was all about, I’d go with “Devil in the Dark,” a strong effort to give the viewer something other than humans in makeup to appear as alien. "the Menagerie" two-parter. It combines the original pilot with a fine wraparound story. “City on the Edge of Forever” and “Space Seed” from the original series. Space Seed is a fine lead in to ST-2, “The Wrath of Khan.” '82. Follow that up with ST-3, “The Search for Spock” '84, and ST-4 “The Voyage Home” '86. The last, being considered by most, as the best of the series. All three play as a trilogy, with each tying in to the one before it.

I can guarantee, you and your lady, some excellent snuggle time. :blush:

As for the first film, ST The Motion Picture, it acts as a reintroduction of old characters to fans, and a new audience alike. It just lacks the character interactions that was at the heart of the original series. In some ways, it precedes ST- 5, with how both Spock and Sybok are handled. Something I hadn’t realized until just now. If you see any of the original series before the first movie, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about.

3 Likes

The first movie actually put me to sleep, it also lack the understanding at that time why Star Wars was so popular, it really wasn’t about the special effect, it’s about action & Adventures of classic goodguys vs. badguys and rescuing a girl who happened to be a princess.
Star Trek the motion picture had no villain, no good storyline.
Commander Riker said it best in first contact, “Captain, why are we out here chasing comet?”
No one wants to watch that, instead they go after the villains known as Borgs!
Don’t even get me started on the space deck with Kirk and Scotty! It just show how slow this movie is going to be!
Thank goodness for Star Trek 2: Wrath Of Khan, it’s 10 time better then the sleeping motion picture. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes