Common Mistakes Fans Make

What are some of the most common mistakes you see even hardcore DC fans making — the ones that get REALLY under your skin?

Two for me, name related:

1. When people call Cassandra Cain “Cassie.” Wonder Girl is “Cassie.” Cassandra Cain is just “Cass.”

2. When people call Superboy “Connor.” Superboy is “Conner.” Green Arrow’s son is “Connor.”

5 Likes

Thinking Alan Moore came up with Joker starting as the Red Hood.

6 Likes

@HubCityQuestion I think you made the Hardcore mistake too…

4 Likes

Hahahaha, caught me!

3 Likes

That the Red Hood wants to kill all criminals. He wants to control crime and kill people who won’t change at all.

Example;
Joker, Bane, Black Mask, etc etc.

8 Likes

Preach.

2 Likes

As a nerd, I hate it when people say “dimension” and mean “universe”. Go to a 3-d movie people! It’s basic geometry.
As a geek, I have met fans bigger than me that cannot understand why Captain America didn’t help stop Steppenwolf in Dawn of Justice.

4 Likes

It’s pronounced “loo-thor”, “not loo-thur”.

7 Likes

Something we agree on!

2 Likes

That everything good about Batman begins and ends with Frank Miller.

5 Likes

It bothers me that people think all of the Quality Comics characters ( Uncle Sam, Plastic Man, Blackhawks, etc) have always been DC characters. Idk why, maybe DC’s acquisitions of Charlton and the Fawcett stuff is better documented.

5 Likes

This one is a HUGE pet peeve of mine and an easy tell you see who knows their stuff when it comes to comic stories.

3 Likes

Also when people spell the name as “Luther” instead of “Luthor”

4 Likes

Eh…not that much gets under my skin. I don’t consider myself an expert. I learn new things about comics everyday, both from reading them and reading about them. Actually, judging by what I just read, I may be one of the fans this thread is talking about (never noticed the Conner/Connor thing till now). Apologies in advance if I rubbed you the wrong way on these forums with innocent stumbles in any of my posts :joy:.

In the spirit of the thread though…one thing does bug me just a teensy bit. When non comic reading fans assume everything is based on the movies/tv. When you politely try to explain that there’s a history of a different take in the comics, you get the ol’ “ok mr. expert; we know you read the funny books” reaction.

4 Likes

:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

:postal_horn::notes::musical_note::mega::rotating_light::bellhop_bell::champagne::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up:

Also when people misspell Dinkseid’s name. You’re thinking of Star Wars!!!

5 Likes

That one bothers me all the time. And since so many writers have gotten it wrong it’s never going to stop.

3 Likes

Good reading: A Wrinkle in Time

I’ve been guilty of making a lot of these mistakes. I don’t have enough interaction with other fans irl to see people make mistakes. Especially as a new fan I made a lot of goofs. Mostly the people I know don’t know which characters are DC and which characters are the other company.

1 Like

Another one I forgot to mention: people calling “Mister Miracle” “Miracle Man”. I get how that would be an easy mistake to make, but it happens ALL THE TIME.

3 Likes