Comics that instill hope

I am looking for DC comic stories or series that are lighter in nature. Not kid material, but ones that are inspirational, provide hope in dark times, or anything of a similar nature. Most comics have violence in them and I am fine with that, but I’m not looking for a dark or gritty story to read here. I want something that is hopeful about the world. That inspires a person to see the good in the world and also to be that good in the world. What are some suggestions you, as a member of this wonderful community, have for this type of story? What stories in the DC pantheon do you feel instills hope in the reader?

4 Likes

Superman: Secret Origin #1-6

The entirety of Scott Snyder’s Justice League so far, but more specifically #19-25

4 Likes

I’m sure you’ve read it, but All-Star Superman is the single most inspirational thing I’ve ever read.

5 Likes

On here give the Supergirl story in Infinte Holiday Special a try:
https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/book/dcu-infinite-holiday-special-2006-1/cabf06b0-ee75-4eb5-ac93-94cc5fcc4f5f

If you don’t mind opening the wallet, the Supergirl story in the Nuclear Winter Special is also a wonderful read.
https://www.comixology.eu/DC-Nuclear-Winter-Special-2018-1/digital-comic/722164?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC90b3BSZXN1bHRzU2xpZGVy

Both comics are in my opinion amazing and brings light and hope in the darkest of places.

3 Likes

I jist read Bug! The Adventures of Forager, a little six issue series on the app, and it definitely wasn’t grim dark. Definitely a throwback to an older style, but it doesn’t come off as (too) dated.

4 Likes

I’m afraid it’s not on the service, but the Astro City Confessions arc was one of the most inspiring stories I’ve read in comics.

3 Likes

Are you OK with a dark-ish (not overly gritty, but pretty intense) situation that reaches a hopeful outcome, or should it be something that’s lighter in tone the whole way through?

3 Likes

I’d say the Green Lantern/Green Arrow trek across America with Apa from the Guardians run in in the early 70’s. Neal Adams & Denny O’Neil.

I found it uplifting. Comics dealing with the social issues of the day. It gave me hope not just that comics can be a fun but also serious art form. It also gave me hope that kids could bring up issues with their parents as well.

4 Likes

BatJamags, sometimes the most light starts off in the darkness. Hope that makes sense. Sometimes going through the darkness and coming out into the light is a big part of the journey. I just don’t want something that is so dark throughout that I am like “Jeeze, the world sucks” afterward.

2 Likes

The Flinstones #4.

If I understand the series correctly, the current consumer society and ideas going round are very new to the species, and for all the newfound prosperity, some things are lost or need to be remembered.

Fred and Wilma remember in their childhood being nomadic, barely surviving, and how the gay people in the tribe were “extra helping hands” able to help the tribe go through the rugged terrain because they were childless and without those concerns, able to help whoever needed help at that moment (much like in real life a “single” relative could help out a child needing help or resources or someone who would listen to them or just tell them their parents are crazy.)

Similarly animals were now appliances but in the old days, they were imitated in order to survive and as helpers again, helped the tribe survive. The animal appliances have agency, have needs and they bond together because the humans have forgotten.

These ideas are shown and never expressed, as the family live a life unattainable to a king not so long ago.

So Fred still has warm feelings for the gay couple as people and Dino is treasured as a family pet, remnants of what once was clear and may be clear once again, if the family stopped persuing the latest consumer fad in obtaining happiness.

4 Likes

@PrincessAmethyst: In that case, I suggest The Flash 1987 #95-100. In general, I’ve found that Mark Waid is excellent at bringing a story to a genuine happy ending without feeling cheap or corny.

1 Like

@TurokSonofStone1950, I actually have read “The Flintstones” series that was published not that long ago. It is a wonderfully done book with strong messages that I think everyone should read. It will deserve a reread after more time has passed from my initial reading. Thanks for the recommendation. :slight_smile:

@BatJamags, Mark Waid is one of my favorite comic book writers. I have had the pleasure to meet him a few times. One time during WonderCon when it was still in San Francisco and several times in my home town. I don’t know if he still does, but he used to own a substantial interest in the comic book shop in my town. He seems to be such a nice comic book nerd that respects the history of whatever company he works for. I wish we saw more of him on titles now. I will definitely give this a look over.

4 Likes

The New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke
All Star Superman by Grant Morrison
Superman Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek
JSA by David Goyer and Geoff Johns (a very long but amazing run)

7 Likes

All-Star Squadron
Power of Shazam
Young Justice
Starfire (1-12)

2 Likes

Not on DCU, but worth reading is Shazam and the Monster Society of Evil.

It’s a hopeful title and Jeff Smith nails Shazam to perfection.

Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade is a ton of fun too. That is on DCU.

4 Likes

@Vroom
Cosmic Adventures is so HORRIBLY underrated. I love that book so much.

2 Likes

@Vroom Monster Society of Evil is excellent. Shame it’s not on here.
Looked up Cosmic Adventures and soon enough found myself four issues in. Great read. Writer is definitely a Whovian as well. Was a “reverse the polarity of the neutron flow” shout out in there. Made me smile. Pertwee’s my fav doctor.
So…anyone got anything else? I find I’m quite enoying these as well. I’ll throw out Zot! By Scott McCloud as a book that I feel fits in here. Not DC, however, and the later sections can get pretty bittersweet.

3 Likes

Wonder Woman Rebirth #51

1 Like

Or at least that’s what I would say if it were on here! DC Universe only has that series up to issue 49 it seems. So I’ll revise my suggestion to Wonder Woman (2016) Annual #1. Three short stories demonstrating why Wonder Woman is the best plus one where she meets Bruce and Clark for the first time.

1 Like

Or at least that’s what I would say if it were on here! DC Universe only has that series up to issue 49, it seems. So I’ll revise my suggestion to Wonder Woman (2016) Annual #1. Three short stories demonstrating why Wonder Woman is the best plus one where she meets Bruce and Clark for the first time.