Comics or Animated Series?

To me it’s all about the movies and TV. There’s too much retconning (and thus too many asterisks) in comics, too much cheating, too many bad lines, the list goes on. Whenever I read something, I go for real books. Besides, do you think that Marvel or DC Publishing makes the kind of money that their movies do? It’s not even close!
So to answer the question, I’ll take animated shows any day!

5 Likes

That is a good question, but I think Animated Series because it can convay stories without it being cluttered and be in the know enable to understand what is happening.

6 Likes

If my electricity is out my comics still work. Comics win.

4 Likes

@capo-mage Are you sure you’re not @ZatannaAndHerSpells? She always poses the tough choices.

2 Likes

it’s a really hard answer because i love both! but i’m gonna go with comics

4 Likes

Excellent thread @capo-mage .

Comics without a second thought!

And isn’t it great we don’t need to choose?

6 Likes

I’m sure lol. That’s a great compliment tho.

3 Likes

Thank u I appreciate it. Yes it’s so awesome we don’t have to choose.

3 Likes

I would cry but comics hands down.

5 Likes

I hate to make choice but I’d have to go comics. I love the animated stuff and always will but my love for them stems from my experiences with comics.

5 Likes

Comics. No Question.

5 Likes

Animated.

4 Likes

Hey buddy. Haven’t heard from u in a while. I’ve been buried in comics, which is where I’m headed now. So, basically only been contributing to comic-based threads lately. Thanks for all u do in the retail biz. You guys/girls are keeping the world running. I’m gonna need to do some serious catching up. I get stuck in comics mode tho & I can’t stop lol.

4 Likes

Comics, absolutely comics.

They’re the beacon that everything else revolves around. The other entertainment wouldn’t exist without the comics, so they’re pretty darn important.

8 Likes

Okay, I can see this is the less popular opinion, but I’m going with animation all the way. Comics do have the advantage of character introspection, but overall they often seem cluttered with trying to fit in so much stuff and characters that it can be hard to keep track of everything. Its also hard to just pick up a lot of these comics ard read because you soon realize that there was this other series with important things that happened and then this crossover and so forth. It’s a maze I don’t like having to navigate when I want to relax. The comics have their moments, but to be it doesn’t compare to the overall benefits of animation series. (The movies are hit-or-miss.) And while story lines often get simplified, characters seem to get a whole lot more development.

8 Likes

While that was true, you have characters like HQ and Batman Beyond that wouldn’t exist in comics were it not for animation. But, I see your point.

I’d go for comics over animation simply because the animated series I really care about, I already own. So it wouldn’t really impact me directly. But, the lose of animation would be a huge blow to the service.

Animation is also the gateway drug into comics for a lot of people. How many millennials were drawn into comics because of BTAS, STAS, & JL/JLU. I’d argue quite a few.

7 Likes

I’m gonna go with the controversial choice of animation. I’ve always loved animation and can’t pick otherwise. Also, it’s something that’s easier to consume as I can have it going in the background while comics is something I’m going to want to sit down and focus on.

4 Likes

As a Millennial, I heartily agree. I was already into comics prior to the DCAU existing, but as it debuted and evolved, my interest in comics increased dramatically because of it. I first came to know of Kirby’s Fourth World because of STAS, and my Batman-only comic focus during the second half of high school was directly due to Batman Beyond and it heightening my interest in the Batman franchise (which was already very high, as Batman had been my number 1 favorite since I was 6).

Point being, it’s all cyclical. Harley and Batman Beyond (among others) don’t exist without animation, but that specific animation doesn’t exist without the influence of the comics and how they shaped (directly or indirectly) the creation of those characters. Jeff Matsuda wouldn’t have been a known name on The Batman if not for his comic work, etc, etc, the list goes on.

5 Likes

Like I said, I see your point. And certainly comics influence animation more than animation influences comics.
But it is a more symbiotic relationship than in the past.

Razors arc in GLAS isn’t something I’ve seen in the comics, but it would make for an interesting arc in comics. A Red Lantern having a moment when they decide to quell their rage, maybe to the point of actually being able to become a blue lantern.

4 Likes

Razer was created for GLTAS, but like Harley and the others, he belongs in the main comic continuity.

Slightly OT: I’d be down for GLTAS continuing in comic form. Sure, another TV season is the ideal method of continuation, but I would absolutely read a comic that carries on from where the show left off. The formula worked for Buffy and Firefly (among others) and is now being applied to BTAS/TNBA, so why not GLTAS? It’d be shiny, cap’n! :gl_hv_1:

4 Likes