Comics for young readers

My son is in Kindergarten but a great reader. I am looking for DC comic titles that would be good for us to read together. Most of the comics are labeled 12+. Any help would be appreciated.

2 Likes

I think the Young Justice is kid friendly

2 Likes

There is a thread in Suggestions where several members, many of whom are parents, are asking for some ‘approved for all ages’ comic books.

Suggestions is the only place where the Mods look for requests for additions to the library.

Several titles were suggested there, mostly comic book versions of the popular animated shows.

1 Like

I just moved appropriate thread to top of suggestion, so you can add your requests.

Comixology has all the issues for the titles I suggested, at 1.99 an issue. You might want to buy one issue of each title. If your budget allows it, to see if that is what you are looking for.

1 Like

Any Teen Titans Go comics are great!

3 Likes

Most of the TV tie-in titles are great for kids. Justice League Adventures and Justice League Unlimited in particular, due to the amount of major characters appearing in each issue.

2 Likes

The Batman Adventures

1 Like

Tiny Titans is great for kids and adults. Look for any titles by Art and Franco. All their stuff is family friendly. Superman Family, Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam, Super Powers, and Young Justice.

DC Super Hero Girls, Batman Lil’Gotham, and Super Sons are probably good for little kids. The new Shazam! series seems fairly kid friendly so far. As others have mentioned, the cartoon based comics from WBkids and Cartoon Network are probably aimed at the same age group as the associated shows (e.g. The Batman Strikes! looks pretty little kid friendly).

2 Likes

I’d like to Billy Batson and the Power of Shazam pop up here to tie in to the release of Shazam. What I read of that series was fun.

1 Like

Batman ‘66 is fun and appropriate

I’d say anything from the Silver Age, like Teen Titans from the 60’s(though you would have to explain how different it was than as some of the jokes haven’t aged well), DC Superhero Girls is a good start too. Batman Adventures from the 90’s is based on the Batman: The Animated Series series, which in itself was not your average cartoon at the time. They are releasing a new line of comics geared toward kids. With DC Black Label being for adults and DC Zoom (I think thats the one) being for teenagers. It also depends on what you allow your child to be exposed too. For me I was watching Friday the 13th at age 5, of course they were the TV edits, so all the blood & nudity was taken out. You can also read a comic on here and based on how you feel you can sit with him and read it with him. Its awesome to see a parent exposing their child to the world of comics. Have fun

1 Like

Super son’s or teen titans would be good. Don’t know what your little boy is into but I have a daughter about the same age. I just watch all the shorts with her and see what she’s into, then buy a book to read with her. She’s getting amethyst of gemworld for her birthday.

2 Likes

Peter David’s Young Justice is probably a good place to start.

2 Likes

one of the Best kids comics is the Scooby Doo - Team Up comic, It introduces either DC heroes or Hanna-Barbera characters in every issue, both popular & less know heroes. Also all of the issues are self contained, unless you get them digital then they are broken up in to Chapters.

The Batman Adventures that tie into Batman the Animated Series is a personal all ages favorite of mine, same with the Superman Adventures. As with most things, you may want to read them yourself before hand, just so there aren’t any surprises lol