Comics for a Veteran

Ok guys I still need a little help with make a care package for my dad in Guam he loves any dc and marvel comics characters of any kind so if you have any suggestions please let me know

3 Likes

Well, my all time favorite comic run is Neil Gaiman’s SANDMAN, so that would be a good choice. Start with “Preludes and Nocturnes.”

Also, any ASTRO CITY comic. Doesn’t matter which, they’re all readable on their own.

1 Like

Does he have DCUniverse?

@sup809 I do not know what all he has read…but these are trades you can send him. plus, thank him for his service!!!

DC:
Kingdom Come
Batman: Long Halloween
Superman: For All Seasons
Batman: Hush
JLA: Tower of Babel
Mister Miracle by Tom King

For Marvel:
The John Byrne run of Fantastic 4 (Trial of Reed Richards for sure)
Claremont run of X-men (Dark Phoenix saga for sure)
Wolverine limited series (by Claremont and Miller)
Secret Warriors by Hickman
Punisher Limited series by Grant and Zeck
Spider-man: Kravens last hunt by DeMatteis and Zeck

There are a ton more…love to help give ya ideas!

1 Like

No he’s not able to get it

The veteran part keeps standing out for me. Makes me think of Sgt. Rock, G.I. Combat, and Blackhawk.

What kind of genres is he into?

Any kind will do just whatever you can think of

Oh, lord. I’ll go with one and done stories or shorter story arcs versus whole runs then.

DC

Batgirl/Robin Year One
Batman Year One

Marvel

Daredevil: Born Again
Hawkeye by Fraction and Aja

To get any books for him, I suggest going to In Stock Trades and Cheap Graphic Novels if you are in the US. Heavy, heavy discounts on physical books.

Green Lantern/Green Arrow by the incomparable duo of Denny O’Neill (R.I.P) and Neal Adams.
The Joker Bronze Age Omnibus
V For Vendetta
Harley Quinn
Geoff John’s JSA run.

Since you mentioned Marvel, I’ll suggest a few. Rick Remender’s Uncanny Avengers is fantastic. House of X/Powers of X is also amazing. I love Dan Abnett’s Guardians of the Galaxy from 2008-2010, which also ties in with the cosmic events Annihilation, Annihilation: Conquest, and The Thanos Imperative, which are all great.