Comic suggestions

Ooh! I read TDKR not that long ago. I started Long Halloween but got real sidetracked with sickness and school crap and never got past the Valentine’s Day chapter

2 Likes

It’s so good I’ve never heard an opposition to it on here. That’s rare. I’m sure I invited some now lol. Never heard a complaint b4 tho. Dark Victory is an incredible sequel too.

3 Likes

Try again my friend. Longbow Hunters is just three issues if you’re a busy fella.

2 Likes

Longbow is amazing

2 Likes

I hope like hell that’s the kind of work we get with DC Black Label. I hope it isn’t just another Marvel Max that is hyper violent and no real substance.

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to it. Feeling the same way too. It’s definitely a great opportunity to have something special. Good vibes from me, I think we’re in good hands.

1 Like

Starman is a big one. Also Dennis O’Neil on the Question, which I see a few of my fellow comrades have already recommended. If you haven’t read any of them, Jack Kirby’s Fourth World books (New Gods, Mister Miracle, and Forever People) are absolutely amazing, and hold up astonishingly well. Superman: American Alien and Supergirl: Being Super are more recent favorites of mine, and the current Jimmy Olsen series should be coming to this service in a couple months. Last but not least, do yourself a favor and read the ‘90s Animated Series tie-in books like Superman Adventures and Batman Adventures. Excellent one-shot character studies that will surprise you with their complexity and intelligence. And that’s just off the top of my head!

2 Likes

I’m not trying to assault your opinions, but I am going to break the seal on Long Halloween criticism. I’m really not a fan. The art by Tim Sale is beautiful and it’s an entertaining read, to be sure, but its plot and dialogue don’t hold up to any level of second-reading scrutiny. The mystery is never really resolved, it just kind of throws some suspects on the reader, casts doubt on all of them, and asks its audience to put on a blindfold and throw a dart at the one they think did it. Ambiguous endings are great, and can leave audiences haunted by the stories they cap off (Blade Runner, The Thing, Inception, TK’s Mister Miracle, etc.), but the problem is that nothing else in Long Halloween makes its narrative capable of sustaining such an ending. Point is, a late-night read of LH will give you a good deal of enjoyment, but it’s nothing to write home about. Plus, it relies so much on tropes that you can’t help but feel like you’d rather be watching all the mob movies it draws its influences from.

2 Likes

I have 0 issues with different opinions. It would be boring if everyone had the same one. That’s great that u have a different view. That’s how good comics become great. The scrutiny only makes the artist strive harder, Also, if u don’t like the artist, that plays a part. I love all the art, b/c I could never do it. If someone thinks they could do it better, it usually results in a better read. I love Sale & Loeb’s version of Challengers of the Unknown. So LH was an easy like for me. Totally respect your view, that’s what being a fan is all about. Stick with what u like. I love hearing opposing views, it makes me appreciate the variety of comics & everyone is welcome to their opinion. So I appreciate yours.

3 Likes

Maybe I’m assuming too much was intentional, but personally, I thought the real answer was discernable from the information given. Gilda has no one there to lie to about her own involvement, but could be mistaken about the other killer’s identity. Assuming we believe in Harvey Dent that there’s two killers, the other one has to be Alberto because he’s the only one with anything close to a motive for the Independence Day killing. I think if you deploy some armchair psychology, you can even pinpoint where the killings changed hands: Mother’s Day and Father’s Day. Gilda’s upset because Harvey won’t have kids with her (i.e. she wants to be a mother) and Alberto has daddy issues. Plus, it makes sense that the guy who was making the guns was the original killer’s last kill. She was cleaning up loose ends.

I could be reading more into the story than was intended, but I thought of it as a logic puzzle, which is why I liked the story so much. It engaged my head.

I do agree The Long Halloween has it’s flaws but it is important because it marks the transition from crime Gotham to psycho Gotham, and I think it was done in the best possible way. Although I do agree, the ending is a little weird.

For books, I would recommend

Sandman
Swamp Thing
Black Orchid
Mister Miracle
and Batman The Black Mirror