Comic subscriptions

Has anyone has any experience getting paper comic subscriptions through the DC website? And if so what is the quality of the comic when it comes in? I like to keep mine in as good of quality as possible and in big stores with so many people touching the comics on the shelf I sometimes find them damaged before I can even buy them. But at the same time I’m not sure if I trust the post office to treat them any better.

1 Like

I don’t have experience in that, but they do ship the comics in protective packaging to protect them as best as possible. So says the fine print regarding subscriptions at least.

If you’re wanting to alleviate condition concerns, there’s alwsys digital comics. Go that route and you eliminate the worry of condition and the need to wait for books to arrive in the mail. Plus, you get new issues the same day they hit the stores (and free variant covers).

3 Likes

While I love reading digitally there’s something special about having the physical copy.

I’ve actually been wanting to look into this myself, we move around a lot so setting up a subscription box with the local comic shop over and over can be a hassle for me, and I almost always end up missing a few issues during the move.
If you happen to take the leap and give it a try, let me know how it works out, and if I do it first I’ll let you know :rofl:

I took the leap to digital for all Marvel comics back in late 2015 during Marvel Secret Wars #4, went like nine months for the next issue to be on Marvel Inlimited but it was worth it!

1 Like

When I was a kid, I had several mail order subscriptions through DC. They bagged and boarded the comics, but it wasn’t a reusable bag, and the board was more like thin poster board.

I also tried Mile High’s NICE service. But it was too expensive to keep up. Plus, there wasn’t the convenience of the internet to make changes to my pull list.

At present, DC uses Midtown Comics (I think) to handle their mail order subscriptions. You can get a pretty decent discount, but it’s still over priced, in my opinion.

In any case, if you want to build a collector-grade collection, a mail order service is probably a bad way to do it.

1 Like

I can’t speak to ordering from DC directly but I have been using MidtownComics.com’s pull list system for several years now and I have no complaints. They bag and board and it’s shipped in bubble wrap and a sturdy box.

I did the subscription from DC and it is mailed the same way as a magazine. It was always in a cheap plastic with a “do not bend” sticker on it. Most of the time they came in good, but other time not so much. The USPS just doesn’t care.

Is every title DC is currently publishing available through subscriptions on their site?

When I’ve looked at that in the past, it’s usually their big ongoings, some lesser ongoings and maybe a lengthy event that are available directly from them.

Buying from an online comic store would be the way to go I think. Have you tried discountcomicbookservice.com ( aka DCBS as they’re known for short)? I’ve heard good things about them over the years.

1 Like

Give Discount Comic Book Services a try. I have been using them for the past year and their service, selection, packaging, and DISCOUNTS are excellent.

1 Like