How i knew to buy these
I dont remember
Not part of fandom

Dont know when
Got
Paul Levitz Comic Reader
Comic Book Buyers Guide

1 Like

@TurokSonOfStone1950, youā€™re speaking my language! I love Young All-Stars (I have it collected in two custom hardcover bindings with the first volume being signed by Roy Thomas at a Mike Carbo comic convention a few years ago along with my All-Star Squadron hardcover)

And Iā€™m a big Kim Newman fan, particularly his Anno Dracula and Man From the Diogenes Club books. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Dont remember Batcave

For a while got comics
At basement near NYU
Near 3rd st? 6th Avenue

Batcave link

2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m pretty sure The Batcave was across from Washington Square Park, but I never frequented that shop.

3 Likes

Some of my earliest memories of getting comics was not from a comic shop. My parents divorced when I was very young so for years it was an every other weekend thing. When I was probably in the 8th grade back in 1983 (yes that makes me 32 now lol) we would go to our Momā€™s in Columbus and she would give us a little money and my younger brother and I would walk to a convenience store. And they had a spinner rack of comics! One of the first comics I ever bought was US1 from Marvel. Sorry. It was about a semi-truck and Driver. I got all 12 issues from that store. I still have them. At the time I went every other weekend looking for more issues. Of course later I found out they came out monthly. I picked up a few comics over the next few years selling some after I got married. My first shop experience was in 2010 a new series was starting at #1 and I went to the LCS for it and still go. Of course I have collected many books since then finding other shops and digging through cheap bins. I love those! My local guy has had a tough time with everything going on but I still try to go even though he stopped getting DC. I really enjoyed reading all these posts about your LCS.

2 Likes

I definitely did my time at Forbidden Planet (every Wednesday for a while). The last time I went to the old location was several years back, the eve before a February snowstorm. The Misfits were there doing a signing. But I do always recall here and there on the subway spying other marks with their comic purchases, not waiting until they got to their ultimate destination before diving in.

3 Likes

I remember super heroā€™s to be a part of my entire life. I was seven when my dad took me to my first comic store. It is still there and I go there once or twice a month. Whenever I walk in there, I can always see myself as the interested and amazed kid. The first batman comics I got were Batman issue 423, 443, 444, 445. Todd McFarlaneā€™s cover of 423 will always symbolize Batman for my whole life. Now, I am going to explain the layout. You walk in, there is an instant smell of old paper and old people. Look to your left, a desk, to purchase, there are about 4 tables all filled with old men playing d and d. They are nice, good people. Whenever they are there, we talk. Look forward when you walk in and you can see rows upon rows of comics. At the other end of the building, you see graphic novels. So many that Iā€™ve lost count. The layout and the location have not changed once. It has a large area and the employees know what they are talking about. That place will always be a part of my childhood.
The place is called Comic Kingdom. It is in good old Nevada.

1 Like