Comic Recommendations? Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl (Babs & Brown)

Anyone have any suggestions for getting into the Bat Family in comic books because I am looking to read amore Nightwing, Robin (Tim Drake), and Batgirl (Barbara Gordon & Stephanie Brown). Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Both are hard since DC doesn’t really like them nowadays. However, here are some that come to mind

Robin: Year One
The New Teen Titan by Marv Wolfmen
Nightwing by Chuck Dixon
Robin by Chuck Dixon
Batgirl Year One
Birds of Prey by Chuck Dixon
Batgirl by Gail Simon

Single Issues
Birds of Prey #8
Nightwing Annuel 2

3 Likes

All of the Chuck Dixon stuff is great.

3 Likes

2009 Batgirl is Stephanie Brown by Byran Miller. Set in time when Bruce Wayme is presumed dead, Dick Grayson is Batman, Damien Wayne is Robin and Barbara Gordon is Oracle. The best of all Batgirl Books

3 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

For Nightwing definitely read Chuck Dixon’s run, Grayson, and The Untouchable. The Bleeding Edge was interesting but the story got cut short due to Batman 50. Speaking of Batman 50 I wouldn’t read his Rebirth era comics after 49 since he was essentially written out of his own title but, Tim Seeley’s run wasn’t bad either. Kyle Higgins’s run wasn’t that good but issues 1-9 slap and issues 10-12 and 19-24 were good - not great just adequate.
I have not read The Great Leap, The Lost Year, or Love And War yet so I could not say one way or the other. Maybe someone else could enlighten you on those.
And that’s just his solo stuff. If you’re looking for more you’d have to get into Titans. Rebirth Titans is good up until they had the Justice League disband them over something ridiculous so I wouldn’t read after Titans Apart. Titans Hunt was great. Depending on how you feel about the 80s style of writing I would suggest Marv Wolfman and George Perez’s run on New Teen Titans. I have been recommended Devin Grayson’s run on Titans but have not gotten the chance to read it. Do not - I repeat DO NOT read her run on Nightwing. Trust me they are 2 separate things.

2 Likes

I have to throw my support behind the Chuck Dixon books as well. In the 90s/early 2000s he was writing a lot of Batbooks, so there was a decent amount of crossover and consistency. Nightwing, Birds of Prey, and Robin starred the characters you mentioned. Robin Year One, Batgirl Year One, and Nightwing Year One all had Dixon involved as well, I believe.

I didn’t see the old school Batman Family mentioned yet! It often starred Dick and Babs in wacky adventures… I mean they battle Benedict Arnold. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah Chuck Dixon wrote it and if I remember correctly Nightwing: Year One is collected in one of my Dixon volumes. That’s the only reason I didn’t mention it and if I’m wrong I recommend that as well @jordandweigold.82889 .

2 Likes

You’re right, Nightwing Year One starts in the early 100s of the 96 run. It was recently released as a stand alone collection, I think.

(I’m waiting for DC to collect Year One: Robin/Batgirl/Nightwing/Oracle, although I think the last was by a different creative team and wouldn’t tie in as well. How many characters get two year ones? These two!)

3 Likes