Comic prices.

On average, I think monthly titles are too high right now. Once a monthly book (32 pages, plus covers) went beyond $ 2.25 per issue, I started seeing them disappear from the non LCS market. That indicated (to me) the comics were pricing themselves out of the other venues (book stores etc) that still sell comics.
The DC / Walmart 100 page books are probably a good value, assuming you haven’t read the reprint stories (that’s a BIG assumption, though.).

2 Likes

It really seems subscription services like this one and the “Unlimited” ones will be the future of comics. Buying physical issues becomes more and more expensive when you have to add issues of books you don’t read for every event. A physical copy can get quite pricey once you factor in taxes. The digital copies shouldn’t cost as much as the physical issues IMO. I don’t see why they price physical copies and digital ones the same. The upside of the digital comic is that they do offer discounts more often and for a wider variety of titles.

2 Likes

I think the Walmart DC books are an excellent value. I’ve read the vast majority of reprint content in them on its own and am happy to read it again in these books.

As long as the content fits the price, I don’t see an issue. Five dollars of content for five dollars is fine. Again, it’s all relative.

2 Likes

I agree with the high price of comics. I’ve literally set a monthly budget and that’s all I plan to spend whether it be comics, apps, trades, etc.

1 Like

It does really suck. Especially when it’s multi part, big story arcs that you need to get all 5+ parts to know the story when it’d be much better to wait a month for the trade. I buy floppies out of habit but I plan to stop sometime soon. maybe they could go back to newsprint for paper to reduce price. I would also be really happy if they had like monthly compilation magazines of all the new comics that month and release it as one big thing, kind of like how shonen jump does it.

1 Like

I went all Digital and wait for graphic novel sales from Google or Comixology. You can buy an insane amount of books for about $40 a month.

1 Like