comic collecting

Hi so if I’m looking to keep a comic collection that I would some day be able to sell or pass down (think 30-50 years from now) how should I be purchasing and keeping/storing the comics. For example I’ve heard that even reading them can lower the grading on them and I’d like to keep them as mint as possible but I also dont want to have to buy 2 issues of each comic just so I can keep one mint. Any tips? Also as far as comics bought in used comic stores, are they even worth collecting or do you think the grading has already been lowered too much by people handling them? Thanks!

2 Likes

i never knew reading them lowered the value that’s pretty lame =/

1 Like

@smelio55 from what I’ve heard/read it’s not so much as reading them lowers the value but even sometimes just by reading them you can create small imperfections in the spine or near the staples if you aren’t careful.

1 Like

This is a bad idea unfortunately. You can not go into comics thinking you will make money in the end. There are so many copies of issues nowadays that it shouldn’t really matter. Only older books are the expensive ones. I can’t see anything post 1985 making a ton of money.

3 Likes

So I’d say buy whatever you like and NOT what you think will be worth tons of money

2 Likes

i don’t buy thinking that they will be worth something i buy to enjoy them but i do my best to take care of them, i see what you mean i also doubt that things will be worth anything because of the large quantities but things can happen in many years that’s how things become scarce so in the end no one really ever knows what will be worth something some day.

2 Likes

I was astonished at the value of my original Walking Dead issues; when they were first published I think they only had runs of a few thousand. But since the show came out the value skyrocketed! For what it’s worth, I definitely read those issues and still got a CGC rating of 9.4 on my #1. I just REALLY take care of my issues, even while I’m reading them. (Not like, gloves and tweezers, but I don’t stress the spines.)

Like you @SMELIO55, I don’t purchase with the intention they will increase in value, but I still very much want to keep them in good condition.

Is there a viable option for purchasing a comic and getting it CGC’d, then reading it digitally?

2 Likes

Ive been collecting vintage comic books for 3 years. I have gotten to make a great friend who has a collection of over 100,000 vintage comic books he has bought throughout his childhood until now. He has gave me great advice that I will share with you:

1. Know how to grade a comic book (e.g. What defects are acceptable on a 9.6 (or Near Mint+) that arent acceptable on a 9.8 (Near Mint/Mint)
  2. If your buying modern/current books, take your time to look at each book you buy and make sure its the highest grade possible. I am picky with what I buy. If a modern book isnt a 9.4 (Near Mint) or higher, the value of the book severly drops in value. You dont know what modern book will skyrocket in price (e.g. The Walking Dead #1 cost couple thousand dollars. Some variant covers go for several hundred dollars.
  3. If your buying for investment, buy only vintage comic books or key issues (Bronze age or earlier is what I consider vintage comic books). I am collecting vintage books, they cost more but I am happy with my purchases I have made over the years. I do not intend to flip and sell my small collection I started, but I know I can sell my vintage books much easier than a collection of modern books.
  4. Connect with other collectors. The more you know and learn from other collectors is valuable information.
  5. Research the value of your books once in a while
  6. Every several years, you must swap out the bags and boards of comic books.
  7. Store your books in a climate controlled area away from excessive moisture.
  8. Invest in comic drawer boxes as they make rummaging through books easier and these boxes can be stacked on one another.
  9. Keep your books clean and handle them carefully
  10. Have fun and dont be afraid to ask questions
3 Likes

This is awesome information, thanks! I’m not buying them expecting them to be worth money but on the off chance they do I think that would be a great little retirement nest egg. And if they end up being worth next to nothing then at least I’ll have some near mint comics to spend my retirement rereading.

2 Likes

thanks for the insight

2 Likes

@BatmmmMango gave you great advice but I will also mention that if you have back issues that are worth money, they should be stored in Mylar not regular comic bags and boards. Look into E Gerber supplies like Mylite2 and Half and Full back boards. In theory those will never need to be changed and are truly archival material.

I have learned tons from the CGC boards but they are very slow now as is many forum based communities. Happy collecting.

2 Likes

Any ideas on how I can sell my Golden Age Batman collection???

1 Like

Dont know If anyone had mentioned the youtube comic book community. Its a great place to learn about key issues, comic grading, comic trends, hot books, etc. Make a youtube channel if you dont have one and check these channels out: eta nick, lords of the long box, gem mint collectibles, longshanks_78, WeaponX Comics and marco808. Im a reader first but I also love to collect the older vintage comics. If your going for investment wise I’d stick to silver and bronze age key issue comic books. For starters pick a favorite character or group and collect their key issues. Hope this helps.

3 Likes