Comic Book Print to Digital Request Thread

Nope

This doesn’t track. I’m reading 2008 House of Mystery on here and that’s Vertigo.

My request isn’t for a specific comic, but to a change in how you present digital comics. Please keep letter pages and house ads in comics converted to digital.

I’ll use Brave and the Bold #87 as an example. It’s an issue I happen to have. Y’all did a gorgeous job of making this a digital. The colors look fantastic. What it’s missing is the letter page that contains an interesting story for any comics fan. Here’s a scan of the letter page of the book I own:

In it, we see that this issue is the first work of Mike Sekowsky at DC and we learn what Neal Adams was up to. Letter pages gave us news that we couldn’t otherwise get and give us a window into what was happening in those days. They also let us know what fans thought of things at the time. Here’s the letter page to Wonder Woman #188:

It’s from the time that Diana was a super spy. We can see that not all the fans were sold on the idea while some loved it. Sometimes in old letter pages we got to see letters form people that would become the comic creators of today. I am fortunate enough to have this window into the past but not everyone is. DC, please preserve your history and share it with your fans.

Also, please include house ads too. Those are amazing looks into what else was happening in the DC Universe at the time.

Wonder Woman #182

Wonder Woman #188:

I mean I don’t know what is going on with Aquaman but I want to find out now. Also, I love Krypto, who doesn’t?!

I apologize for the long post so I’ll try to wrap it up with this. Everyone has done an amazing job of converting and preserving these old comics. They are a treasure, but the treasure isn’t complete. Even the recent “DC Nation” pages have been stripped from relatively recent comics. Comics aren’t just the story of the characters between the pages. They are the story of the universe that’s been created. They are the story of the creators and the fans at the time of their inception. I don’t know how difficult of a thing I’m asking. But if it’s possible, it would be an amazing addition to this digital collection that has been produced.

12 Likes

It probably isn’t allowed to be on here, but I’d like to see “Superman vs Spider-Man: Battle of the Century”

1 Like

I’ve been begging for the house ads and letter columns too. Pretty Please! WITH SUGAR ON TOP?!

5 Likes

@superby1 care to help me with the issue here 3ameureka has please?

I’m not entirely sure but it could be one of two things:

1. This could be a special deal worked out with ComiXology.
  2. Because the house itself has appeared on both Constantine and Legends, it might be allowed to be on here, kind of like how issues of Doom Patrol were here because of the show or issues of Swamp Thing when it appeared.
1 Like

Thank you, I did my best to straighten it out; but that threw me off

I wish I had something more concrete for you.

Do you work for DCU?

No, that would be nice lol I’m just a fan

1 Like

Okay, wasn’t sure

1 Like

I think Madam Xandu was also in the Vertigo House of Mystery. I have not read it but I do know that they added the Vertigo titles Madam Xandu, House of Mystery and a Phantom Stranger one shot Vertigo did all at once because they all featured characters who appeared on Swamp Thing, same reason Flex Mantillo’s Vertigo Mini-Series was added after Season 1 of Doom Patrol due to him appearing on that show.

Which character is in House of Mystery someone who read it will have to share, lol. But that is apparently the reason.

4 Likes

Green Lantern #143 is another one of those critical letter pages, historically, because it contains a response written by Marv Wolfman about an idea for a large story that will decide once and for all which parts of DC history are “canon” and which are not. In other words, it’s the original vision for Crisis on Infinite Earths, right there in response to some kid asking how two books fit together.

4 Likes

@Brenticus_Rex,

Fantastic idea! Not only are the old letter columns and house ads just plain fun to read, they can also provide a bit of context with regard to where DC was on its own historical timeline.

For instance, below are two early house ads for what was then called “DC Universe: Crisis On Infinite Earths.” Despite being that close to publication, DC hadn’t even settled on a final title for COIE in late 1984.

6 Likes

Exactly, there’s a whole wealth of history to be seen in adding house ads and letter pages. Some creative teams even tried to plan their story beats around ads so adding house ads back might enhance the reading experience in some cases.

3 Likes

How about adding an iconic artist to the weekly digital update? One week a new Kirby book, a new Adams book, a new Kubert book, a new Swan book, a new Kane book,a new Wood book, a new Toth book, a new Andru book–well you get the idea.

2 Likes

Batman #287 is the first half of a story that continues into Batman #288… but we don’t have 288.

3 Likes

Given the recent events in the United States, I think it would be great for DC Universe to put up the Milestone comics, in order to show DC shows solidarity with BLM.

Just a thought.

2 Likes

They don’t have the rights to post them