Comic Book Print to Digital Request Thread

Digital first vs. print and digital same day release.

4 Likes

So we’re getting the later?

3 Likes

It would seem so.

Justice League: Last Ride also had a format change, in that it was originally going to be a Digital First series, with its print releases coming at a later point (such as RWBY/Justice League, to use a current series) but that changed to a standard simultaneous, day and date release.

2 Likes

wonder why

3 Likes

I’m not sure, offhand.

Alls I knows is I wants my Superman '78 and Batman '89 soons as I can gets 'em! :smiling_imp: :grin:

5 Likes

I just hope they keep them the same tone as the movies

3 Likes

Batman '89 writer Sam Hamm was involved in the writing of Burton’s first Batman movie (and in the story process of Batman Returns), while Superman '78 writer Robert Venditti has a fantastic grasp on Superman, so I think they’ll both do exemplary work. :ok_hand:t2:

4 Likes
3 Likes

I would like to see:
Hero Hotline (1989)
This was a six issue limited series about an agency that employed small-time super-heroes on small-time missions for ordinary people. It’s nominally for-profit but they do a lot of pro-bono work.

5 Likes

I just saw this, and I’m totally in for both books. There’s gonna be some room in the pullbox soon at the L.C.S.

3 Likes

I assume there’s some sort of legal issue with the KFC/DC crossovers?

4 Likes

I was listening to a comic podcast and they mentioned Angel and the Ape. Having seen their Who’s Who in the Loose Leaf series, I tried looking them up here and ComiXology. But there seems to be no sign of them so yeah,
Angel and the Ape (especially the 1968 and 1991 series)

6 Likes

Thank you for the request @mojaka! Sounds like an interesting series - I’ve added this to the list for you. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

You got it, @golddragon71! I added your request to the list. :angel: :gorilla:

5 Likes

I second Angel and The Ape (1991). It’s a very fun mini.

5 Likes

Your support has been noted, thank you @Vroom! :confetti_ball:

5 Likes

I second Hero Hotline and would also add Action Comics Weekly 637-640 which had the team’s debut.

7 Likes

I would like to point out that some golden age issues that have been requested by various members, me included, have been uploaded to comicbookplus and the Digital Comics Museum. Classic public domain stories featuring characters that were eventually picked up decades later by DC. The Captain Marvel family, Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, Bulletman, and others.

7 Likes

Gotcha @idle453.87595! Thanks for the second & suggestion!

@SaintBrodie That’s a great point. I think the team is currently doing everything in their power to push out comics to DCUI every month that will appease a lot people. There are so many things that go into what comes to us every month so I can’t give you an ETA but I also hope to see more of names like the Blue Beetle (one of my favorites) on our platform!

4 Likes

Really a question, how come trades aren’t on the site, and just individual issues. I personally prefer reading individual issues, as that’s how I started reading, but, there is a generation of readers, who grew up reading trades.

3 Likes

My POV is that:

• Having trades on here could potentially canibalize sales of them, especially since the average collection sells for at least a few times what the average single issue does.

• Having the single issues here is essentially the same thing as a collection, from a certain point of view. Either way, you’re still going issue to issue. It’s just a matter of how the content is packaged, above all.

I tend to lean more towards my former point, however. Single issues can serve as a bit of a loss leader product, but given that collections range in much higher prices, those are the products that DC especially wants to keep at the retail level, and not include as part of the all you can read single issue “try it before you buy the trade” buffet.

SN: Digital trades are available on Hoopla. However, DC still makes money off of Hoopla paying them to host that content, so in the end, there’s still money to be made on DC’s end.

That can also fit the “try it before you buy it” mold, but again, DC still gets paid for those trades, whereas they wouldn’t make money by hosting them for free (past the cost of DCUI itself) on this platform, which is part of their Publishing wing.

5 Likes