Comic Book Covers Featuring a Stark Single Color Background Fan Clubhouse!

Welcome to the Fans of Stark Single Color Background Comic Book Covers!

Get ready to figuratively drown in startling stark single color background covers in this thread. It should be quite pictorial!!

In January 2011, all of DC Comics’ titles featured iconic images of the publisher’s heroes and their logos on a stark white background. I made sure to grab as many of these as I could and for at least a year or two my home office wall was adorned with this bagged wonders taped in long rows that I would gaze upon for long periods of time. Eventually I also added other mainly white background covers from other publishers in my gallery (the early 90’s Valiant Comics has a very striking Solar Man of the Atom white cover, issue 7 etc).

So…let the wonder and beauty of the Stark Single-Color Background Comic Book Covers Fan Clubhouse Thread begin (bong)!!!

17 Likes

One or two more before I do lawn work, lol…

5 Likes

From several months prior to the January 2011 DC White Cover Explosion:

5 Likes

I loved these covers! It was a great way to kick off 2011. I bought all of them, even for series that were Trade Reads or titles I wasn’t reading at all.

Here’s Superman #707.

6 Likes

Wonder Woman #606

9 Likes

Legion of Super-Heroes #9

7 Likes

Adventure Comics #522

8 Likes

Wow! I miss having the wall space available to display all these. Sigh…

3 Likes

Batman Incorporated (v1) #3. This cover was originally solicited with the white background the other books of January '11 had, but due to delays on BI, it was ultimately released as a variant cover instead.

7 Likes

Lots from before 2011 as well, but can’t resist the gorgeous gold on this one…

5 Likes

Wonder Woman (v2) #128, from the Faces of the DC Universe collection, found on books cover dated December 1997.

5 Likes

JLA #13, from Faces of the DC Universe.

4 Likes

Lobo #46, again from Faces of the DCU.

2 Likes

Take two :wink:

4 Likes

Now I got to go research this… I do remember some of the covers, but I didn’t realize they did it company-wide

3 Likes

@Don-El AFAIK, Faces of the DC Universe covers were on all of the monthly books from the DC Universe line published in October of '97 (again, cover dated December '97). It was schway.

Except for the cover to 'Tec #716. Batman looks like he’s making a goofy face at someone. Not schway.

7 Likes

Frank Quitely would often choose the single color background for many of his Batman and Robin covers. When I saw this thread that yellow background was the first thing I thought of.

9 Likes

Speaking of Quitely’s single color background pieces…

6 Likes

All yummy stuff for my eyeballs to feast on!

I figured it would be fun to recollect around the virtual campfire about our favorite single color background covers as we await more wacky covers from the fifties and 60s in the weekly delivery of newly-digitized DC comics…

3 Likes

@Don-El Absolutely! Wouldn’t have thought of the theme myself. By the way, always down for scavenger hunts, perhaps Neal Adams or Joe Kubert…

@Vroom Oh yeah, totally forgot that one! Wow that perspective is so amazing…he implies that invisible plane with nothing but the character’s perspective. Like, there’s nothing actually drawn there but he’s still using that space for something. Genius.

2 Likes