Comic Book Convention Advice

I humiliated myself and had a panic attack.

2 Likes

Nah, don’t worry. Panic attacks aren’t anything to be ashamed of.

4 Likes

Thanks

4 Likes

Don’t worry. When I met my idols I stumbled over my words. I hope you are doing well

3 Likes

Thanks

3 Likes

As I have said before, I am attending Los Angeles Comic Con, though I am getting cold feet about it. I will be doing what I did in 2019 at New York City Comic Con, getting Christmas gifts along with some stuff for myself. I have had great experiences with the celebrities I’ve met, but when approaching a celebrity, I’m always afraid they’ll have an attitude. I also was disappointed at the previous convention in that I wanted to get Paul Rudd’s autograph to give as a Christmas gift, but didn’t because he was asking too much money for it. Why do a number of celebrities ask for so much money for an autograph ($100, for instance), but others are more affordable ($30)?

5 Likes

I’ve found that a lot of comic people don’t charge for autographs. And if they do it’s 5 or 10 dollars. Makes those a lot more affordable than tv/movie actors.

I know some people donate the money but I’m honestly not sure why people charge so much other than they know fans will pay for it.

5 Likes

Sometimes it becomes competition with each other

Celebrity 1: My rival is charging 100 dollars. Then I shall up him by charging 150.

Celebrity 2: It is on. I am charging 200 to prove I am more popular.

5 Likes

It also depends on the company or person that brings them to the con. Some celebrities are brought in by a sponsor and they set the prices. You’ll see this at the bigger cons.

With some celebrities, they’re paying for the table, their travel and expenses along the way, so the prices might help recoup some of the money they spent to get their and the table.

It varies from person to person, though.

5 Likes

I salute your courage and honesty @MiscellaneousSoup.

:purple_heart: :hugs:

4 Likes

I’m ashamed of myself and I should never return

4 Likes

On the contrary- the DCUI is a safe place and you are among friends who have your back. :+1:

4 Likes

^ Don’t sweat it, friend! Nobody is perfect :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If you go in cosplay, make sure your outfit is one that’s equipped to deal with the current weather conditions! I made the mistake of wearing my Killer Frost cosplay (which requires me to wear a wig and heavy makeup) when the weather outside was 90 degrees Fahrenheit! Definitely wouldn’t recommend- it made me wish I had her powers!. So pick a warmer outfit if you’re going in winter and a cooler, lighter outfit if you’re going in summer. The Poison Ivy I bumped into was definitely more fittingly dressed for the weather than I was!

5 Likes

I was not sure what the comic book creators were going to charge before I went as they only published the celebrity costs. Many charged $10 per but I liked Dan Jurgens because he signed first two items for free and then all others you donate as much as you want to the comic book charity he is involved with.

7 Likes

Don’t be. I stumbled all over myself I’m sure on front of them. Maybe work back into slowly with one next time and see how it goes

4 Likes

Absolutely!!! This has been the most supportive community I have ever been a part of and never felt left out

5 Likes

I’ve had three or four bad experiences. I should quit.

4 Likes

If it’s something you’re beginning to feel may not be for you, I would absolutely recommend sitting out a few times and seeing how you feel about it. Conventions can bring on a mass of people, usually tucked into small areas, so it’s pretty easy to get overwhelmed/overstimulated. I started going to cons just a couple years ago and found that I was quickly uncomfortable from the heat/not enough personal space.

I still like to go for the merch/cosplay, but that doesn’t make it any less crowded, loud, warm, or uncomfortable. That’s pretty much the premise of any con you attend, so I personally just try to have fun and admire all the art and other cosplayers. :slightly_smiling_face: If you feel like you’d really like to keep attending cons, I’d say make sure you’re very well hydrated, bring extra water/a snack, and have an “escape route” in mind; i.e., take some time to map out the quickest exit points to get some fresh air if you feel overwhelmed.

10 Likes

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. That landed me in the ER one year when I passed out.

4 Likes