Comic Book Changes: What To Expect, And How You Can Help

@Licentious, I’m not getting ripped off. I’m getting what I paid for. I’m sorry if you think for $8 you should have unfettered access to everything, but I for prefer to live in the real world.

1 Like

This morning when my favorite comic was gone, I made a post about it, I probably made your job harder Applejack and I’m so very sorry, if I could I would’ve deleted that post. Anyway here’s a few things I’m enjoying seeing…

The Detective Comics and Batman from the 30s to the 80s.
Action Comic and Superman from the 30s to the late 90s
Green Lantern
Aquaman
The Flash
Wonder Woman

Now for the comics I would love to see or returns
The Batman Adventures
The Superman Adventures
Batman: Gotham Adventures
Superman Blue/Superman Red storyline
Movie adaptation comics like 1989 Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, & Batman and Robin.

:slightly_smiling_face::penguin::grin:

1 Like

My compliments to the chefs! A smorgasbord of delightfully tasty reading material is better than ever with all of the new sumptuous additions! I look forward to tasting as much as I can.

I did notice the 2001 Catwoman series still has the New 52 Catwoman #1 artwork on its thumbnail. That’s the only nit that stood out to me.

I’d like to see Divine Right added if possible. It’s Jim Lee’s underrated masterwork.

Thank you so very much to everyone at DCU and beyond for overseeing this. I’d shake your hands if I could :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Since it’s the 80th anniversary of Batman I would like to see more of the big Batman stories like Knightfall, Knightquest, No Mans Land, Hush, Court of Owls

2 Likes

Also I would like to read All Star Superman completed. Only issue 1 is on here I think

1 Like

I would love to have Brave and the Bold back. It’s a classic series and one I have been enjoying reading. Hope to see it return beyond just the 3 issues that it was reduced to.

Aside from that, keep growing! Thanks Applejack

2 Likes

@Applejack FWIW I’m glad that the original plan of using a few teaser issues to encourage people to buy more comics has moved over to ComiXology Unlimited where it belongs snd where people who buy digital comics a la carte already have large libraries. I love the idea of DC Universe being a more complete experience even if it isn’t unlimited in the same sense as Marvel.

As for communications, two weeks notice on the Watchtower is good but I would suggest having something like a rotation calendar available via the news section. The problem with these community threads is that its too easy for people to lose track of a post. Don’t check for a day or a day or two and the post will be buried under all the other announcements people make. It also might be a good idea to send out a list of rotations monthly to news sites the way Netflix does so people know what movies and comics will be coming and going. I can pretty much guarantee Graphic Policy at least would run it.

Finally specific stuff missing if you’re committed to filling in storyline gaps:

Detective Comics #31: The first part of a two part Batman story is conspicuously absent.

Annuals one-shots: Mention has been made that several titles including JLDark have stories that conclude in one-shots.

Crossovers : Including JL Dark without at least the I, Vampire issues that crossover seems a bit pointless. Also you have the New Krypton issues of Action Comics but not the other titles (I’m guessing Superman) that complete the story.

3 Likes

I would actually suggest merging the annuals into their parent series and placing them in the appropriate chronological order, so if an annual came out between issues 24 and 25, then the screen will show “Issue #24 - Annual #1 - Issue #25”. That would make for a much better experience.

5 Likes

That might be what they’re planning. I notice that the Action Comics Annual that was part of Reign of the Supermen/Bloodties is gone and the Man of Steel annual still hasn’t returned.

1 Like

Applejack, thanks for this informative post. Here’s my request to send up the food chain:

Showcase 1-64

The Brave and the Bold 1- 74

Metal Men (1969) 1-56

Mystery in Space 1-110

Amethyst 1-12 (original Mishkin / Colon)

Thanks. If I mail some extra cash to the home office, will that grease the skids a little?

Also. I’m not an all or nothing guy. Even key runs of these listed would bring a smile to my fan face.

4 Likes

Add all of the Batman & Robin Eternal issues since it’s a sequel to Batman Eternal.

4 Likes

I’d also like Teen Titans (2003) issues 21-36 to be added too. It feels weird to have those be skipped. @Applejack

3 Likes

Massive thanks to everyone who worked to make this happen <3 Your efforts (and long holiday hours) did not go unappreciated.

3 Likes

You say no further subtractions will occur, but rotations will still happen with a 2 week warning.

Which is it?

Why are you rotating at all? Just add content and leave it there.

6 Likes

I think that he means no further subtractions will occur during the period between now and when they formally announce what’s going to happen with the comics section moving forward. Rotation probably has to happen for a number of reason:

1. WB is only willing to allow so much server space and bandwidth to this service and it has to also accomodate the movies, TV shows, the encyclopedia, the store front and this community page.

2. DC’s contract with ComiXology (the details of which we’re not privy to) not just the recent arrival of a small part of their catalog on ComiXology Unlimited but going back to their original agreement on day and date digital releases. Keep in mind that Marvel Unlimited predates ComiXology doing day and date release if not the service itself. When they negotiated their deal it was probably a given that service would continue. Also as the bigger of the two major publishers Marvel has slightly more clout.

3. DC has commitments to Diamond Distributors as well as hundreds of local comic shops and print vendors that would be negatively impacted if they put up everything forever. This is especially true since DC probably relies more on sales of their back catalog in trade than anyone else in the industry. Its doubtful we’ll ever see something like Dark Knight Returns up for more than a month for that reason alone.

4. DC is pretty well known by a lot of creators for having a very generous royalty scheme. That’s the main reason why the Showcase trade line floundered when it came to modern material: creator contracts often specified a set fee for reprints which would have made the cost of a given volume not worth it. How this effects digital I don’t know since that was not a thing when many of the best contracts were written but I do hope DC is giving creators a bit of money for their stuff being put up here since they are likely losing out on trade royalties because of it.

5 Likes

I would love to see Manhunter return. I was reading that, but had to take breaks to finish reading all of the comics that were leaving and then to watch all of the movies that were leaving.

I know Forbidden Tales of Dark Mansion is not popular. It’s not a super hero comic after all. It was my guilty pleasure. If it doesn’t come back, I get it, but it’d be nice to see it return even if only for a limited time. I just kept thinking how cool it would be to have shorts or small budget horror films produced from the Dark Mansion stories. With James Wan working on Swamp Thing, I just kept thinking what a good fit that would be.

Checkmate making a comeback would be great.

Many issues for Birds of Prey 1998 are now missing.

On that note, Comixology lists that BoP series as “1999” but on here it’s listed as “1998” so I’m not sure if that is mis-labeled here or over on Comixology. Also, the Catwoman 2001 thumbnail is from a different series.

I’m still really happy about all of the additions being made. I’m sad that a lot of female centric titles suffered in the transition, but I’m glad we’ll now be getting notice of what is leaving two weeks in advance. I was disheartened when I found out about unpopular titles leaving because I found out only a few days prior to them leaving on a random thread from a comment that had been buried in the “Load older replies”. Knowing that in the future there will be an official announcement as to when titles are leaving and which ones (because there was no way to guess exactly which titles were unpopular) makes me feel better about this moving forward.

5 Likes

I will say two weeks notice is fine for shorter runs and limited series, but if a bigger series of 20+ issues is leaving, I don’t know what good two weeks will do for people.

8 Likes

There should really be a monthly schedule for both comics and TV shows put out like Netflix does. Stuff should be added throughout the month and subtracted at the end. Release the list for the next month in the middle of the one before. Titles that are about to rotate out should be marked as such in the thumbnail or in a last chance section.

5 Likes

Is the amount of comics still going to be limited to 2500?

1 Like

Since they said in another thread that 2500 were added I imagine it will be closer to 3000 when all is said and done.

1 Like