Comic Book Bundles at Five Below

It recently came to my attention that Five Below has been selling bundles of DC comics much like those sold at Walmart over the last year.

Has anyone here bought any of them at their Five Below store(s), and if so, what books did you get? The Walmart packs include variant covers, so were those in the Five Below sets as well?

Curious what others may have found at their Five Below stores and if their bundles are as good of a package deal as Walmart’s are.

4 Likes

Walks over and marks calender

This is Gonna be Good !

2 Likes

If you’re marking your calendar, next week should see the rollout of the next Walmart bundles.

I tried to make my way to Five Below a few days ago to check out any comic bundles they had, but they closed earlier than the hours listed on their site. Oh well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have picked up a bundle a while ago. The local Five Below hardly ever has bundles now a days. Then again, in a mission to not spend money I haven’t walked into one in a while. Anyway, the bundle I picked up had a JLO variant cover with Jessica Cruz on it. I don’t remember what other books were in it. If you are in the mood for crazy comic bundles, I suggest Ollie’s. I have purchased a few of those the comics are always extremely random. When I say random, this ranges from era (early 1970s Superman?!?!) to publisher. I have scored some sweet books but I have also scored some books that are just in the collection.

2 Likes

Last I knew, I have precisely 0 Ollie’s in my neck of the woods. Otherwise, I would absolutely hit them up, especially for cheap Absolutes and other stuff.

1 Like

I’ve seen a few of these at the Five Below near where I work. From what I could see, they’re mostly recent Flash annuals along with an issue of Death Metal. I haven’t seen the ones with anything pre-2018.

I think it’s cool they’re doing these, though. I remember when I was five, I’d go to the bodega at the corner and they had comics on the racks on the walls. At the very top were three-packs like this. Those three packs introduced me to comics I never would’ve seen in the regular rotation, so I think this it’s wonderful they’re making a comeback.

2 Likes

With regards to childhood comic bundles…

When I was 7, there was a mom and pop store that my family shopped at, and in the toy aisle, they had three-packs of DC books.

I eagerly gobbled them up, for they were where I developed my passion for John Byrne’s Superman, as well as furthered my passion for Jim Aparo’s Batman.

So, anytime I read something about comic bundles (and see them in person as well), they always awaken my inner 7 year-old. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love these bundles so much! I wish they were on better display. The ones I’ve seen at Walmart are kind of hidden away at the back of check out.

I think they’re so cool for kids first starting comics. I would have loved these if I saw them as a kid back instead of having to beg my parents to drive me to a comic shop 30 minutes away. I hope they keep doing them.

2 Likes

Likewise, on both accounts. I get why Walmart keeps them up front with trading cards, but they still seem hidden away, even though high-traffic checkstands are right by them (at my stores that carry the bundles, that is).

2 Likes

Recently when I was in Walmart the bundle selection was pretty poor. Not very organized either. And I haven’t been to a Five Below for awhile. Sounds like I need to go check one out but I dont have one in my town so I can’t just stop by after work. Sooooo…

2 Likes

I saw more of these at the Five Below near me. It was more of the Flash annuals being the issue in front but it’s still cool to see them.

2 Likes

I remain super jealous of everyone who lives near either an Ollie’s or a Five Below.

1 Like

I share your envy of those who have access to Ollie’s.

Five Below, though? The ones I’ve been to are hit and miss. I still haven’t checked if mine carry comic bundles, but the last time I was in them, they had next to nothing of interest, DC-wise.

On another note, they do have a great candy section. :chocolate_bar: I’ve pretty much given up The Sweet Stuff, but it’s pretty to look at as one walks past it. :clark_hv_4:

1 Like

So having finally gotten Five Below’s in New Mexico, I actually stumbled across some of the bundles and picked a few up.

2 Likes

What did you get in them?

2 Likes

Nice!

Congratulations on getting Five Belows in NM, too. Pretty cool store, isn’t it?

What he said.

From YouTube openings, it looks like some packs have some neat variants in them, which makes certain sets worth the asking price alone.

Unfortunately over this way in Western New York, Five Below has become a major disappointment. Whereas just before covid hit in 2020 you would find a great value of DC hardcover books like a Batman cover book that sort of thing now there’s no DC to be found in the book section, instead all the books are tarot and witchcraft pretty much.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Not bad! Not bad at all!

3 Likes