Collecting: General Discussion

So let’s talk about collecting and why you or in general we as a group do it. I have seen some Collections that look like they should be in a museum. That is a new goal of mine. Why do you collect something as a hobby to pass down to your kids that enjoy it too. I will say this is my opinion the worst reason anyone get into comics is they think they will get rich. I love getting older books not for the money but for the history of it. The only reason some books are worth anything is mainly because of WW2 and the war efforts. They recycled everything. So tell me your thoughts of collecting books and action figures.

2 Likes

I feel like collecting is an inane love. I agree that the history of comics is amazing, and being able to hold a comic from the past is holding a piece of history, Your holding the ideas and dreams of the past, Its a window into a different world. I do one day hope to have kids, and one day pass my collection on to them. I remember what it meant and still means to go through my fathers old comic books, I think seeing a persons collection is like seeing there personality through likes and interests. Talking to my dad about comic books is a joy. back to the idea of collecting, I don’t know why but I have always Loved collecting, it is part of my love for poke-mon! Thinking to the " holding a piece of history" statement I made, It feels like it is a great achievement to add something of value to history or your history to your collection! Collections connect back to the personal part of fandom, connecting to our lives and memory’s, collecting things of our past or things related to our past are our way of preserving memorys and who we are.

1 Like

I collect books (not just comics) for the purpose of reading them. Even if I never actually get around to reading them, I know they’re on my shelf for that reason.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, when I went on and on I didn’t even mention the point of comic books! to read amazing stories!

2 Likes

I read all my books even if it’s a once over.

1 Like