Colin Farrell's Penguin is Coming to HBO Max

That’s what I meant.

1 Like

Yes and no – yes, money talks, but any social media conversations, even negative ones, are positive signs for these studios, especially for streaming content. It’s basically free advertising.

Should we expect weaponized umbrellas?

I think that depends on if it’s a prequel or sequel. Prequel, probably not. Sequel? More likely.

Purrsonally, I’d have liked to see more of Zoë Kravitz’s Catwoman in her own show. But I’m down for any more material in this world.

1 Like

@Jay_Kay, I’m hoping for post-movie

@HubCityQuestion I’d see that

I know it’s a hot take, but honestly I was not loving the shows portrayal of The Penguin. Colin Farrell gave a good performance, he is a good actor, but it didn’t feel like the Penguin, it felt like a mobster. I mean Riddler and Catwoman in this even if they had changed their name, I would have gotten it was supposed to be catwoman and Riddler. But had they called him something else I never would have gotten that was supposed to be the Penguin.

That being said, judged on it’s own a mini-series further exploring the character could be a good series, like I said he played the role well. And maybe it will change my opinion learning more about him.

Maybe they could do a Godfather Part 2 and have part of the show in the post movie, and part of it in the past showing how he got to where he was.

2 Likes

Isn’t Penguin usually a mobster type?

1 Like

could work

Kinda – when he was introduced, he was a super-criminal with a theme of birds/umbrellas. The mobster thing didn’t really become part of his character until the mid-late 90s. He has a great niche with the mob/“respectable businessman” thing, but I think you lose something when he’s just a mobster. He’s at his best when he has the crime boss thing, but still has that supervillain/freak side to him, if that makes any sense.

1 Like

How would you do that?

I’ll definitely watch this (multiple times). But this is such an inefficient choice for a series. You’re taking the one person in the cast who requires 4 hours of make-up (not to be a monster, but just to the person he is playing). So that point guarantees the Penguin is only in so many scenes per episode. And his supporting cast will have to be all original characters, right? - I’m not thinking of any characters from the comics that would be obvious supporting cast. So who knows if we will care for these brand new supporting characters that are carrying half the show. (I kind of hope they have Colin playing a separate British character in the same show).

I also kind of agree that this character in the movie did not particularly need to be the Penguin - he could have been any number of gangsters. And so there’s the chance that, as they flesh out the main character, he just keeps getting farther and farther removed from any relation to the Penguin of the comics

Thank you, was how I was seeing it. He is often tied with the mob or organized crime. But they took out the supervillain aspects and I really didn’t see anything Penguin like about the character. It just didn’t feel like The Penguin. Everyone praises how Colin Ferrel is unrecognizable and no denying that, and he gave a good performance. Just didn’t feel like The Penguin.

What would you have preferred?

Well something more like The Penguin. I mean he didn’t really have the mannerisms, height, or to me personality we associate with The Penguin. Again, not that it ruined the movie or a series about him can’t be interesting. Just felt they went to far away from the source material with him.

1 Like

top hat and tux?

Also, I think the Spin-off about the Gotham Police was canned

Not canned, but being reworked to put more focus on Arkham

it says they may have been the same