Chip Zdarsky and Jorge Jimenez On Main Batman Title!

The more time thing especially is what I love. The Batfamily is my favorite, and I love to see them interacting with Batman and his stories!

3 Likes

me to

This run continues to be pretty good with issue #127. I like that it refers back to The Tower of Babel which is probably one of Bruce’s most shameful moments as Batman. It also leads in to how Bruce’s failsafe Batman (Zur-En-Arrh) would be the one to create a failsafe to defeat Batman. What I really enjoyed in this one was how it played upon the Batman/Superman friendship. Kal was, obviously, not pleased with Bruce over the Tower of Babel plans to defeat the Justice League. He knew their had to be a plan to defeat Batman, as well. Not surprising that he’s swooped in to stop it.

2 Likes

I’m truly surprised that Superman showed up. I will be very interested to see how Zdarsky writes the Man of Steel! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really liked this interaction:

Batman- My mistake was in not keeping them secure enough.
Superman- Amazing.

That was classic :laughing:

3 Likes

:thinking: why is there so many time skips in Zdarsky run…3 of the 4 issues have a time skip

Two reasons!

Real life has time skips! You’ve never woken up and had two weeks missing? Just me? Ooops :wink:

But the real reason: to leave room for other books have stuff happen, I bet.

2 Likes

:man_shrugging: I once woke up after losing 2 days…but I had a very bad case of pneumonia and was passed out those two days with a high fever and a massive amount of coughing…when i was about 14.

:thinking: Yes…but the unclear thing is…how much time was it between the phone call and the revelation of the gala invite and the gala…how long until failsafe was activated as at least two days go by in 126. especially since it looks like Batman Inc is taking place during The two weeks, bruce is passed out in Atlantis. :thinking: also Batgirls 8 and 9 and Nightwing are taking place between 125, the phone call and failsafe attack on bruce in 127…given babs is also being used as some kind of control interface for… something… and steph and Tim are captured…yet are fine in dark crisis… and the fact that failsafe did not even confirm that Cobblepot is dead…i am not sure if failsafe in batman is a real-world event…If its not i want Catwoman to be linked to it…Things just don’t add up right…0_0 Then there is that memory manipulation app used in Batman urban legends…Depressed Bruce and Selina may over use something like that…

Yeah, my biggest issue is that Batman, who is a master of very detailed contingency planning, somehow forgot to have his failsafe 1) verify the validity of his activation trigger before entering execution protocol and 2) default to not impacting the public.

1 Like

Bruce did not build Failsafe his backup personality Zurr-En-Arrh built it, so that is why he does not remember it and it makes some sense. However, I agree with the second point 100%.

I understand why Bruce doesn’t remember building Failsafe (poor word choice on my part). I meant that Zurr-backup-Batman made this super failsafe contingency machine that “knows” how Bruce thinks, yet overlooked verifying an accusation.

1 Like

That and failsafe’s its strong resemblance to a terminator is why i have been thinking its all a dream except for the phone call. I have been stating it on twitter.
(according to some sources James Camron’s idea for The T-800 came from a fever induced nightmare involving a metal skeleton trying to kill him. however failsafe more resembles a mix of t-800 and the T-X.)
on the other hand it was cool to see Batman welding a beam saber/Lightsaber alogn with Tim.
…i also just realized that the bat signal was destroyed sometime before this. and may not have been relplaced.

1 Like

I keep saying you shouldn’t make conspiracy theories the central hermaneutic of your analysis, though…

1 Like

I mean, hey, the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh (the Zorro in Arkham) is all in Bruce’s head, so… I wouldn’t bet against it at this point.

1 Like

How come Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern Jessica Cruz, Zatanna, Batwoman Kate Kane, Katana, Red Tornado, Captain Atom, The Atom, Fire, Ice, and also Arrowette in Batman Failsafe!

1 Like

Wonder-woman doesn’t have a default weakness. I mean she did in the golden age but not now and Wonder-woman is an expert combatant with strength to rival a Kyptonian. She will prove a dangerous threat to Failsafe. Jessica Cruz and captain atom are powerful on their own. Arrowette, fire and ice, atom and red tornado are the reserve justice league members.

Batwoman and Katana I guess are failsafe contingency threats.

If I was Failsafe, I honestly would have put Mr. Terrific, Steel, Cyborg and Luke Fox Batwing on that list as well. Being those men are tech genius and all.

What about Huntress, Dr. Fate, Atom Smasher, Cyclone, Nightshade, Doctor Light, Csptain Atom, Atom, Crimson Fox, Gypsy, Aztek, Blue Beetle, Mr Terrific, Powergirl, also Supergirl?

On the one hand, I’m pleased that DC continues to consider and treat Jimenez as the stud that he is.

On the other hand, it's Batman.

And if I wasn’t interested in Jimenez art with King, when King is a very known quantity (although admittedly, largely underwhelming quantity to me), I’m less so with a barely known quantity in Chip. I do like his art ideas!

Jimenez started after King left, with Tynion writing. I don’t think Chip is really that unknown, though of course if you haven’t read much of his Marvel stuff it’s understandable.

2 Likes

Oh, I know of Chip and I know that he’s not an unknown creator. I meant, he’s unknown to me. For example, I had read Fraction’s Hawkeye, but that’s the only Fraction I had read until I read Superman’s Pal. And, a lot of what went into that is that I liked Lieber on art, and had enjoyed Hawkeye enough and really liked the Silver Age Jimmy. I’m far, far less interested in Batman, even with Jimenez on art, and what very little I have read of Chip’s is not to carry me to that stage. I’m fine with Batman on team books, just not that interested in Gotham.