Chief O' Hara

I have watched the entire run of Gotham and seen some but not all of the Batman movies. I want to know does Chief O’Hara appear in any other version of Batman besides the 1960’s series? What about Aunt Harriett? Chief O’Hara came up in an old trivia book. I never understood how Gordonl always out ranked him.

Because Gordon is the commissioner. It’s a higher rank and sometimes a position held at the discretion of the voters.

1 Like

Aunt Harriet was created for the comics in 1964, a part of the “New Look” Batman that kept him from being cancelled and rebooted a couple of years later in the same vein as the Flash and Green Lantern. Basically, she replaced Alfred so that three batchelors would not be living alone together. Censors, you see, have dirty-- unwarrantedly dirty-- minds. Anyway, although the fans didn’t hate Harriet, they did love Alfred, so Dick Grayson’s aunt slowly faded from continuity. Although O’Hara appears in those same comics, and various versions of the character have appeared here and there for decades, I don’t think there’s ever been enough consistency to call him a fully-fledged character-- mostly the name is used for its familiarity, and a wink at the reader, And the comic book version only looks like Stafford Repp in Batman '66. Oddly, I seem to recall an argument about who first used the name O’Hara-- John Broome in the comics or Lorenzo Semple, Jr in the TV show – but the character as you know him is entirely an invention of the TV series.

1 Like

Aunt Harriett was in the comics? That’s interesting.

2 Likes

Yeah, she came to take care of Dick Grayson after Alfred had a boulder dropped on him

2 Likes

It kind of scares me when Misfit exposes their DC expertise. Like when your youth group pastor skateboards really well, or your grandma picks up your guitar and shreds

1 Like

Alfred getting a boulder dropped on him, being replaced by Aunt Harriet, and turning into the Outsider was the very first run of comics I ever read. Not when it came out of course.

I always thought Aunt Harriett was introduced on the Batman TV series to up the female character quota.

TBH, Julie Newmar, Yvonne Craig and many others did that just fine says in Michael Caine’s voice thank you very much.

To me, Madge Blake will always be Mrs. Mondello from Leave it to Beaver.

O’Hara is in the LEGO Batman movie, but he is a she and she gets attacked by Egghead.

1 Like

He appears in Batman Dark Victory

1 Like

O’Hara is female in the Lego Batman Movie? Well, either it’s his daughter or the Chief had an operation in Switzerland.