šŸŽƒ [Characters of DC] Monster Mash [October 2020] šŸŽƒ

Sorry about that @AlexCarr. I could go back to a Monday to Monday schedule if anyone wants me to. What do you guys think?

1 Like

Whatever works for you.

1 Like

Itā€™s fine, I was just on the wrong schedule. Every time Iā€™ve gone to post we are on another character. It just took me to today to realize why I was missing the deadline. :joy:

2 Likes

So, about Dr. Fate '69. The first issue is fine. Story with Fate debunking some seemingly spooky stuff with a second story of Dr. Thirteen debunking some seemingly spooky stuff which is what he does. Issue two is far more interesting. It starts with a story of a kidā€™s dad who thinks he has 9 lives and keep killing himself only to survive. Course, junior is freaked but Phantom Stranger appears and tell junior a story about a time he debunked some stuff for short story. Back to junior and pops and Dr Thirteen shows up and tells the kid a story of debunking. Then back to the framing story with Phantom Stranger and Dr. Thirteen teaming up to solve juniorā€™s problem by debunking. Thereā€™s no supernatural here, but I loved the structure of the issue it was inventive and more interesting than just two separate stories.

1 Like

Well itā€™s not really a deadline so you can still talk about any of the characters at any time. :grin:

4 Likes

Thank you! I just want to keep up with everyone! Got my reading set for this weekend so Iā€™ll be good. Lol! Well rereading on these ones. Iā€™ve got the hard copies on my bookshelves. Lol!

3 Likes

So Raven is my all time favorite character, and Iā€™m still working on my rereads of these comics, but I thought I would share a fun little tidbit about The New Teen Titans #5. This comic was the first time anyone ever got to see what Raven looked like. Marv Wolfman once said in a interview that this was of course intentional, as they wanted to give Raven this mysterious otherworldly view. Noting was really known about her character until issue #4 when Zatana outed Raven as having a connection to Trigon. Which is where issue #5 starts.

2 Likes

Iā€™d forgotten that little fact but its been years since I read NTT. I think keeping her a bit mysterious at first was the way to go because it kept the readers intrigued. Heck, I still think sheā€™s intriguing.

3 Likes

Yeah, it just hit me when I was reading today I was thinking about how much her appearance has changed over the years (she has been reincarnated like 3 times so :woman_shrugging:t3:), and I was just like wait, didnā€™t readers not know what she looked like at all at first, and I double checked it with the special addition volume I have and there it was. Lol!

Raven fascinated me from the first time I saw her on Teen Titans as a kid. Thatā€™s what got me into comics. I would watch Teen Titans, Static Shock, Danny Phantom, but it was Teen Titans and Raven I really connected too. As a kid with learning differences I was ostracized a lot by the other kids, and Raven and her struggle with her powers really connected to me and my struggles, and I havenā€™t stopped loving her since. So when Teen Titans ended, I convinced my mom to let me get comics (I was slowly reading by that point), and I was sold on Raven as my favorite superhero.

I think part of the reason we do get her revamped so much is that no matter how she may look, what age she currently is, or even who she is currently living with, she will always have this struggle in her. Not only that, but she has to chose to be good, every single day, she not only puts herself out there as a hero, but fights with her nature to be a good, kind person, who wants to help others, despite the physical and mental struggle it causes her. And to me, I feel like sheā€™s a character that a lot of people need in their life. They need the reminder sometimes to keep fighting their inner darkness, because itā€™s the right thing to do. She reminds us that the easy path isnā€™t always the right path, but that the right path will be worth it in the end. After all, if a demon can choose to do good, then the rest of us really donā€™t have an excuse to not be good caring human beings.

And on a side note Iā€™m super excited that Raven will be joining the Teen Titans once again in January 2021 with Teen Titans Future State. And Iā€™m really hoping they bring her and Beast Boyā€™s relationship back. We arenā€™t going to get to see that relationship with our reads (though I believe it is mentioned that they were broken up and hits at them getting back together in the Titan comics we read), I feel like her relationship with Beast Boy really brings a whole other aspect of her character out.

2 Likes

I have a similar story only for me the character I connected with was Jason Todd. Seeing someone who was poor like I was growing up become Robin had quite an impact on me. After that I never let anything stand in my way.

All of that is so very true. There is a lot Raven could teach people about facing their inner demons and about compassion for others.

I havenā€™t been keeping up on current DC news so I hadnā€™t heard that. Now Iā€™m excited to see it.

Iā€™ve always loved her relationship with Beast Boy. I think it adds a lot to her character. Among other things its shows that she feels deserving of his love in return.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t it great that we have characters out there that gave us something to connect too, and give us strength to help get us where we are now, and where we are going? As a writer, thatā€™s the most important thing to me, have a character that people can connect to. And DC has so many good characters! They really try to give everyone a character they can relate to!

I think thatā€™s a great point about her relationship with Beast Boy, feeling she deserves that love. That really speaks how far her character has come over the years. Sheā€™s gone from playing with Kid Flashā€™s emotions, to being in a real relationship and understanding and accepting all that involves.

I also really like how she starts off as a member of the Teen Titans, but she wonā€™t fight, to being a hero out in the field fighting. It really shows how much more confident she has become with her abilities and what she can do.

DC is relaunching a handful of their comics under the DC Future State title. I donā€™t know about the others, but for Teen Titans, it sounds like they are bringing back as many of the New Teen Titans as they can as the teachers at a school where they train kids to become superheroes. But something goes wrong, and most students end up dead, so the Titans get together again to track down the student that betrayed them. And making his first comic book appearance will be Red X.

1 Like

That sounds cool. Iā€™ll probably check it out. Wonder who Red X will turn out to be?

The only one I know about is the Dark Detective story which involves Jason Todd. Gotham is under the rule of a villainous regime called the Magistrate and all vigilantes have been outlawed. Jason works as a bounty hunter for this regime bringing in heroes and villains but he hates the job. Then the Red Hood Gang reemerges and he has to solve the mystery of why.

2 Likes

That sounds interesting.

1 Like

This week Characters of DC and the DC History Club are combining forces to bring you Swamp Thing. If after you read these stories you feel the need for more Swampy please feel free to head over to the DC History Club for more readings, discussion and history. Theyā€™d be happy to have you join in.

Swamp Thing is an elemental agent of The Green who fights for the protection of nature from those who would bring harm to itā€¦ The most notable person to become Swamp Thing is Dr. Alec Holland.

First Appearance

House of Secrets #92

Creators

Len Wein

Bernie Wrightson

* Character Bio

* Character Chronology

Readings for this week (Issues selected by @msgtv, who runs the DC History Club. Thanks! )

* House of Mystery #92

* Swamp Thing (1972) #2-3

* Swamp Thing (1982) #38-39

And thatā€™s all weā€™ve got for this month folks. Hope to see you all again next month when we cover a couple of the DCUs teams in our ā€œGo Teams Go!ā€ themed month. Also November marks Characters of DC One Year Anniversary. I canā€™t believe a year has gone by already.

3 Likes

@ZombossJasonTodd428 those are some good Swampy readings, nice monster elements to them, and they each stand alone well. If you havenā€™t dropped by History Club Swamp Thing yet, we have are regular polls and quizzes, so enjoy.

3 Likes

First on House of Mystery #92 the intro of the character. This is like watching the unaired pilot episode of your favorite show. All the basic structure is there, but a few roles have been recast and the apartment is completely different. As a single story, this is 1970s DC horror story perfection. You quickly get a setup, a villain, a threat, and a comeuppance. One really cool thing is that a decade later Alan Moore reprints this story in a Swamp Thing issue tying it directly to Swamp Thingā€™s continuity.

2 Likes