[Characters of DC] Booster Gold [June 2020]

Booster_Gold_-1_(February_1986)

Hello friends and welcome back to the Characters of DC. I have missed all of you and hope you’re as excited for the club’s return as I am about returning. I’ve got some new stuff planned for this club so I hope you all enjoy it. Now let’s get down to business.

I’m pleased to present our Character of the Month for June: Booster Gold: The Greatest Hero You’ve Never Heard Of!

1d1cc2fe78b43a6592415cbff696f606--dc-characters-blue-gold

Character Information

DCU Encyclopedia: Booster Gold

Key Stories or Comics Series

Booster Gold Chronology (pre- N52)

Booster Gold Chronology (N52)

This Month’s Selections:

Week 1: June 1-7

Booster Gold (1985) #1-7

Week 2: June 8-14

Formerly Known as the Justice League. #1-6

Week 3: June 15-21

JLA Classified #4-9

Week 4: June 22-28

Chose your own story this week. It can be a personal favorite or a story you think is important to the character.

Discussion

For this month I thought we could hold an open discussion instead of the normal Q&A dealio. Some topics to consider might be Booster’s friendship with Ted Kord, his character shift from a guy using heroics for gain to a legit hero, his portrayal in other media, or anything else you’d like to talk about.

Poll Time

What do you guys think of having a Booster Gold related WAL this month?

That’s all for this month. I will be sending out a message sometime this week to get character suggestions for July. As always take care and stay safe.

To join CHARACTERS OF DC hit the link.

4 Likes

I’m gonna be honest here and say I didn’t initially care for Booster, especially early on. He grew on me over time though especially once Booster and Beetle started hanging out together. They just had such a great dynamic and it was fun just reading them together.

2 Likes

I’m with that – honestly, I tried reading the first couple issues of Jurgens’ Booster run and I just couldn’t get into it. Honestly, Jurgens is one of my least favorite writers, and I just don’t care about his take on Booster at all.

His history reminds me a lot of Deadpool, where he was initially created and made waves, but it wasn’t until another creator started extensively working with him that he really started to shine as a character (in Deadpool’s case, Joe Kelly, and in Booster’s case, Keith Giffen/J.M. DeMatteis).

2 Likes

I’m suprised I’m the only one who voted for the watch along so far. I voted yes.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t generally have a problem with Jurgens but I did here. I’m not sure if it was the writing or the character but I could not get into Booster for whatever reason. Once Giffen and DeMatteis started writing him was when I started enjoying the character.

That’s an interesting thought on Booster’s history. I hadn’t thought of it that way but I do see the similarities.

I voted just now. I still need to look around for some episodes. Any suggestions?

3 Likes

Greatest story never told from Justice League unlimited is good. Not sure if Batman the Brave and the Bold has a episode about him even if he’s in the show.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve loved Booster Gold since I first saw his episode of JLU I can understand not liking Jurgen’s run with him, especially in comparison to Booster’s later stories, I personally love it. I actually have full runs of both volumes.
@Reaganfan78 There’s a few Brave and The Bold episodes about him. The big ones are Menace of the Conquering Caveman, A Bat Divided, Booster Gold Meets Cures, Menace Of The Madniks, and Darkseid Descending. There’s also a lot of good Booster stories in the Justice League Action series but alas, that’s not on DCU.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions there @Hinesypoo.

What day works best for a Booster Gold episode WAL?

• Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday

0 voters

Poll will close within a week so be sure to vote @CharactersOfDC

2 Likes

But, as long as it the Doom Patrol watch along for season 1 is finished I will likely be able to make any day.

2 Likes

When does that WAL finish up anyway @msgtv?

Also here’s a poll to decide on what episode to show.

• Greatest Story Never Told- JLU
  • Menace of the Conquering Caveman- Batman: The Brave and the Bold
  • A Bat Divided- Batman: The Brave and the Bold
  • Booster Gold Meets Cures- Batman: The Brave and the Bold
  • Menace Of The Madniks- Batman: The Brave and the Bold
  • Darkseid Descending- Batman: The Brave and the Bold

0 voters

Let’s get voting @CharactersOfDC

3 Likes

Last episode is tonight Tuesday

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. @msgtv

2 Likes

Yep! Doing the last one tonight since we just finished ep14 yesterday :robotman_dp:

2 Likes

Good to know. I didn’t want this to interfere with it.

Also the two top episodes will feature in the WAL.

2 Likes

It’s ok :slight_smile: and yea

1 Like

Ok

Looks like Friday was the best day of the week for most people so the Booster Gold WAL will be next Friday June 26.

So far it looks like we will be watching

• The Greatest Story Never Told from Justice League Unlimited.

I will be leaving the poll to decide open until Saturday at 11:59 pm to see if we can break the second episode tie we have going at the moment. In the event it remains tied I will cast my own vote as the tie breaker.

@CharactersOfDC. If anyone else wants to cast a vote the time is now.

Also I would like to ask @Reaganfan78 to be my backup for the WAL. I had some technical difficulty a few weeks back with participating in a WAL so I would like a backup plan if you are willing.

As for a time I’m thinking something in the 11pm Central timeframe. I know that’s 12am for some of you but that works best for me. If that doesn’t work though let me know.

Cheers!

5 Likes

I’ll be happy to.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Reaganfan78.

1 Like

And the poll is now closed.

Our second episode will be Darkseid Decending from Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

I will post the details for the WAL on Sunday and will send the link for the same.

Thanks to all who voted.