Challenge: What Are The Small Ways We Can Be Heroes? Can You Be a Hero for 24 Hours?

Today, we’re celebrating Community Week by highlighting the nature of heroism. Every day, we all have the opportunity to make the world a better place. We’ve heard that acts like smiling at a stranger, posting a kind remark online, or sending a heartwarming piece of snail mail (even if it’s just stickers on a page), can spread joy and uplift someone’s spirits.

What small, meaningful acts could we all be striving towards every day to be a hero to someone in our community? :superman_hv_1:

Bonus Mission: Day of Heroes, 2019

An Adaptation of “Day of Compassion
Can you live as a hero for 24 hours straight?

Starting today, from the time you read this topic, DC Universe challenges you to live each minute of the next 24 hours as thoughtfully to others and as selflessly as possible.

:gl_hv_1:“What does it mean to live like a hero?”

To live like a hero, you will try your best to reduce the suffering of others, help those in need, be considerate and respectful, and avoid causing harm to your fellow humans.

Take time to reflect on each action- from reading a comic, to eating dinner, to the choices made about giving time, or money. Small kindnesses are always welcome, but this is about more than that:

:clark_hv_5:We challenge you to think about the unnecessary suffering in the world, and strive for the greatest impact and deepest level of compassion, while remaining sincere.

Ultimately, it is up to you to define what heroism is, and decide what it looks like in a given moment.

Fans of DC are naturally drawn to heroic deeds and selfless acts; DC is where heroes live, after all! If you are already actively striving to be more of a hero in your community, give some thought to being compassionate toward groups you don’t often focus on. Your actions may not differ much from how you normally behave, but carefully observe how the day unfolds from this perspective.

:flash_hv_1:Some questions to consider as you take on the mantle of a hero:

• How do you define heroism, and how did it manifest?
  • How did others respond to your heroism? Do you think they noticed a difference in you?
  • Predict your behavior one month from today - Do you think your attention to heroism might change at all as a result of participating?

:batman_hv_1:We would love for you to return to us after 24 hours and share your experience, and what small acts of heroism you contributed in order; It can inspire others to do the same! Circumstances may make it difficult to participate today, or you might not feel fully satisfied by the end of the day. There is no bad time to live heroically- you are always free to return to this topic and share your experience at any time of the year!

With that, we would like to thank all our heroes, both in front of and behind the scenes, for always inspiring us to be the best humans we can be. :heart::blue_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart:

Later this week, the team at DC Universe will be taking a look at your Acts of Heroism and picking a few that we feel really stand out. We will be sending a special “thank you” to the top responses that embodied the true spirit of Heroism! If you post here sharing your experiences, keep an eye on your Direct Messages for a token of gratitude.

16 Likes

A long time ago, someone gave me the advice to leave everywhere you go a little better than you found it. Over the years, I’ve found that straightening things up has been the best way to accomplish this little bit of goodness. Try this for just today: any time you go outside, find three pieces of litter you can properly dispose of—or recycle, if possible. It’s a small act, to be sure, but if we all got in the habit, I think it would make a difference.

15 Likes

Another small way to be a hero: get politically involved. Do your part to become an agent of the change you want to be in the world. Identify the social and government issues which you feel the most passionate about, and call your local representatives. Their information is easily found, and is there for you to take advantage of. As an American, your representatives in both local government and the legislative branch are there to represent your concerns. By giving them a call, you can make sure those concerns are represented accurately.

11 Likes

One last piece of advice: I don’t know who needs to hear this, but if you’re a certain age, you may have been told growing up that it’s customary to tip service workers 15%. If you’ve fallen into this habit, please keep in mind that the acceptable standard these days is now 20%. Service industry workers work too hard for too little, and deserve proper compensation.

14 Likes

I’ve heard this referred to as “Campground Rules”. I definitely agree with the idea that if we all pitched in, it could make a big difference. Not quite the same, but I also try to offer to toss someone else’s trash if I’m on my way to do it anyway. Just a little thing to make someone else’s life easier.

8 Likes

I’m probably going to be stuck inside taking care of an injured/sick wifey, but here’s a favorite quote, from John Wesley:

Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.

14 Likes

Sounds like you’re on your way to being your wife’s hero (though I’m sure you are, already) :slight_smile:

Beautiful quote, thank you for sharing :heart:

9 Likes

http://www.moreloveletters.com/

For anyone who appreciates how much receiving a piece of personal snail mail can mean, I can’t recommend this site enough.

It’s completely anonymous and doesn’t have to cost you more than a postage stamp and an envelope.

Every month, More Love Letters posts a selection of letter requests. These can be anything from people struggling with anxiety when away for their first semester of college, to senior citizens who just lost a spouse, to those seeking words of support after coming out to their family, to service men and women on their first deployment - seriously, it runs the gamut, and there’s a good chance you’ll find SOME story to which you can relate your own experiences and hopefully share a few words of encouragement.

If there’s anyone in your life who could benefit from some kindness from strangers, you’re welcome to nominate them, too.

A huge thanks to DCU for hosting this day of heroes. I hope it steers a few people to this initiative!

EDIT: Oh, and one more important detail! If you’re a procrastinator or face commitment issues, fear not! There’s no obligation/registry involved! Just check in to the site whenever, or sign up for their monthly requests update, and jump in whenever you feel comfortable. Easy peasy!

9 Likes

Wow, I’ve never heard of this- what a beautiful campaign! Who knew there were so many people actively looking to receive a small token of kindness. Thank you for sharing :hugs:

5 Likes

Most welcome! There’s a similar one in the UK for sick children: https://www.postpals.co.uk/

Those requests are sometimes more specific and involve toys, books, etc, but also a great cause if you’re on that side of the ocean and can afford to pitch in.

5 Likes

What an awesome service. I’m gonna tell others about this, as well.

7 Likes

@ralphsix Tysm for spreading the word! I’m obviously a big fan of the initiative :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What I deleted were some pretty speeches but that is not Applejack asked for.

I am very isolated so it is hard to be a hero. Most relatives are dead and friends are far away. If we lived closer, i.am sure they would visit.

I can do small things. I can give likes. I can contribute to the History club. I still look at suggestion and everything DC if people need help but all those requests are gone now.

What I wrote about Super hero history and Writing Topics are only available by Search, so they seem dead ends. I am glad I spent the time writing them. I learned a lot.

I have to learn to write small nuggets to continue. My fan fiction usually is very short so I may learn from that.

13 Likes

Leaving a like is much bigger than some may think. It helps to perk some people up, and it could also help them feel like their voice matters. Communicating can be one of the strongest tools a hero can use to help others. See someone that’s feeling down, talk to them. Haven’t seen some friends in a while, give them a call just to say hello. Being open to conversation instead of getting into a shouting match can help humanize those you disagree with instead of making them seem like villains. Being political is great, be engaged, just don’t demonize others and remember to be the bigger person.

14 Likes

I’ve been taking care of my Mom since her surgery last week. Just the basics (meals, laundry, transportation…). I previously was taking care of my Grandfather who had Dementia. It’s good to help others, but it is also important to do some self care as well. You are no good to the other person depleted. That is why asking for support is such an important part. With support you can return to your baseline and then resume your role of helping others.

12 Likes

@portalman This is very true. You have to put the oxygen mask on yourself before you help others.

7 Likes

There are so many amazing ways to give back to the world, I’m thrilled to be able to learn even more from all of you. :heart: We’ve always said that this community is full of awesome heroes and you’re all proving that!

8 Likes

I’m very conscious of our impact on the planet.

-We’ve completely eliminated single use plastic bottles in our household and I even have a seperate Stanley french press/thermos for my coffee so I don’t need to constantly use filters.

-Honestly it’s mostly for the milage, but I drive a Prius.

-My son and I pick up trash at the beach twice a week.

-I create an awareness of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch which is an island size pile of garbage floating in the ocean.

I’m from Southern California so I have it pretty good. We charge ten cents for single use grocery bags, we’ve outlawed sample sized shampoo/conditioner bottles in Hotels and we’re on our way to eliminating plastic straws completely.

The Wild West is becoming quite civilized.

5 Likes