Celebrate Pride Month with the DC Community!

I agree with @drewzirocks.3500 on a lot of points. Bisexual representation is not exactly the same as gay representation. It should be acknowledged that they are distinct and valid sexual identities. It’s also true that most of DC’s headlining LGBTQ+ characters are bisexual (Jon Kent, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, John Constantine, Jo Mullein, etc.). When you think about the gay representation, you are pushed a bit more into the periphery (Batwoman, Crush, Bunker). I would also agree that it’s disappointing that DC doesn’t acknowledge Wonder Woman’s bisexuality a bit more. When @drewzirocks.3500 brought up the issue, my first thought was assuming that it had been well established in Rebirth under Rucka. However, @drewzirocks.3500 is right to point out that it hasn’t been established in a significant way. It could always be disavowed. I can understand the commercial reason for this, but that doesn’t make it right.

LGBTQ+ fans do deserve more. LGBTQ+ fans should continue to fight for more.

That being said, I disagree that what DC has done has been “performative.” You have to keep context in mind. In 1966, DC killed off Alfred because Batman was looking a little too gay. In the 90’s any LGBTQ+ character were firmly in the periphery and short-lived (and Harley and Ivy were coded). In the year 2022, we have Superman kissing another man on the cover of a comic. We have more LGBTQ+ characters than we have, arguably, ever had before. They are popping up with such frequency and in such prominent places that it’s more than performative, it is significant change.

Again, I’m not saying that LGBTQ+ fans should be content. They shouldn’t. Especially not with a new corporate entity in charge. We don’t REALLY know what their plans or intentions are in that regard. All I’m saying is, I never really expected us to be where we are by this point in time, and that is a good thing…

3 Likes

Happy Pride Month!

4 Likes

Does anyone do anything in their homes for Pride?

My apartment has a large picture window. I’ve hung a Progressive Pride flag, and the perimeter of the window has rainbow lights around it.

I just put these out on my coffee table.

4 Likes

Happy pride month! As a bisexual, I just wanna wish all my fellow queer people a fire month!

5 Likes

I have in the past. My window faces the courtyard of my new apartment building but the living room is still full of boxes and lacks furniture. I’m also not sure, at the moment, that I own any pride specific stuff that can be displayed. I mean, some of the floppies I still own are the OG underground Gay Comixs, almost the full run including some of the specials. But this is a family complex, with many small kids and I’m new (as are we all, it’s a new building) and that’s not the kind of material that should be posted in public, IMHO, even in a very liberal place like Los Angeles (and I’m definitely in the very liberal enclave areas of LA).

I do wish everyone else a happy Pride Month, however you may celebrate it. I see the Pride Anthology sold out and they are reprinting it, which is good news for getting more such content in DC.

EDIT: I don’t want to create a new post, but I went wondering around Downtown Santa Monica running some errands, grabbing coffee, etc. and I hit a Pride craft pop-up I read about in the Los Angeles subreddit from an on-line person I know. Not much I was really interested in or it was very expensive (the ceramics) or something I didn’t need (interior decorating home painting services - like murals - in your home or outdoor space, etc.).

But I did buy this from a woman selling these princess and leading lady YA type graphic novels (think very BoomBox! and Boom Studios! type stories):

3 Likes