Cavill Superman Sequel Movie DEAD/Different (New) Superman Movie Being Written By James Gunn

yes, yeah, yep

3 Likes

I agree

4 Likes

Henry Cavill REALLY, REALLY loved playing Superman. He was so passionate about it. Superman meant everything to him. He was really excited to talk about his return in Black Adam. He always said “The cape is still in the closet.” when asked about returning to the role after all these years. He would have been perfectly satisfied and happy to play Superman for the rest of his career.

Personally, I wasn’t a fan of the Man of Steel movie. Not because of Henry’s performance. Definitely not. He was wonderful. I didn’t like the tone of the movie, but that was not Henry’s fault. He’s a great Superman. The movie just didn’t feel like the hopeful Superman movie I expected.

I’m sad that he had to announce his departure so soon after the announcement of his return.

5 Likes

@AlexanderKnox: I do not want a “Smallville” Superman film. That ground was covered for ten years (and the last three were terrible). And I would not spend a dime on any Superman film that was inspired by the New 52. I know that is someone’s version of Superman, and that’s okay, but it wasn’t for me.
Please this isn’t rocket science! Stopped trying to reinvent the wheel! Look to the source material for your inspiration Mr. Gunn! The source material had legs and sales! Silver and Bronze Age Superman. Byrne and Waid–and of course Richard Donner!

Let’s leave Donner alone, PLEASE!

There’s been a bit more information from Gunn (and he is, frankly, spending a bit too much time talking back to on-line trolls): it will be a young Clark but:
(a) not in Smallville, but the Daily Planet, in Metropolis;
(b) the implication is that he is already Superman so none of the Donnerverse (i) first interview; (ii) first date/flight with Lois as either Superman or, possibly as Clark Kent;
(c) he will have already met all the important figures - does this mean Jimmy, Lois and Perry, or does this mean the DP crew plus also ‘important’ to the new connected universe, e.g. JLA members?

Wasn’t specified - but personally I hope that even if the movie suggests or implies the wider universe that it spends the vast majority of it’s time on Clark Kent/Superman. Also, I hope we get an alive Ma and Pa moment and an alive Krypto glimpse at the farm, as well as a Fortress moment.

2 Likes

At this point in production none of this means anything.

sadbatmanissad

That weird time when Robin was invisible. She loves her swing.

1 Like

Robin (Batman)

I would prefer Cavill stay as Superman, he does the role justice and for me is up there with Christopher Reeves ( fun fact, Christopher Reeves at least in the first Superman movie dunno bout the rest, didn’t have padded muscles, that was all him ) an did everyone love all the O.G Superman movies? No, but I did so sit on that.

Anyhow as another stated and actually I think I read elsewhere that not a lot of people were happy with the gritty and depressing tone of Man of Steel, I found a lot of it annoying, and honestly I am tired of Superman remakes that have to for some reason start with an Origin Story.

Like why ?

What planet do you have to live on, to not know the origin of Superman.

At best, his origin story in a new movie should be a 1 minute montage, with a cool voice over.

So many other good Superman stories out there to choose from, I would like to see Superman have to answer some real world issues in a new movie,

Any how, I aint holding out hope for something great, I am guessing I’ll be on my death bed before a DC movie in the current age becomes a hands down classic.

Ya know what,

Gunn should say F it, make a Crisis movie, lmfao wiping out the past DC Movies, Constantine , Superman Returns, Green Lantern, Man of Steel, Batman VS Superman, ( with an extra emphasis on Ben Affleck never returning as Batman and going to court and being court ordered that he can never play Batman ever under any circumstances nor ever say the word Batman, ever again ) Justice League, and the Snyder Cut. But the Batgirl movie gets to stay just to tick off Warns Brothers at a minimum, in fact, I don’t care if 20 years from now it comes out and it turns out to be a good decision that it wasn’t released.

#clockworkorange

OMG EVEN BETTER

friggin Warner Bros execs and directors get Clock Work Oranged to a chair and forced to watch all their movies, until their eyes bleed. Except Ben Affleck, he is still barred via a court order, he can’t even pretend in his own home to be Batman.

k this was fun

Bacon Sammich

1 Like

As far as has been reported, that was all Christopher in all four films. He got bigger as he got older, but he specifically worked out and put on (if I remember the interview Richard Donner did for one of the Hollywood trades about three years ago, maybe a bit longer) but put on about 20 pounds for the movie (and continued to work out through shooting). You can really tell when you see the screen test images with him in the costume and then see the earliest filmed imaged from the movie (which I believe was the helicopter scene - but don’t quote me on that last thing).

1 Like

Fun fact: Superman and Darth Vader were gym buddies.

4 Likes

1- At some point, preferably in the 21st century, the powers that be will have enough PR sense to generate good publicity for DC movies.

2- Losing Cavill in the role is unfortunate, but I don’t think it’s the end of the world for DC movies that some folks make it out to be. I’m more upset about how it happened than the fact that it did happen. Bringing him back in a post credit scene only to cut him after was just bad form, change of leadership notwithstanding. Having said that, the head of the studio is on record saying he’s working on Superman and that the character is their top priority. That should be good news for Superman fans.

3- For the upcoming movie, my asks as a fan are simple. Make a Superman movie that makes me feel good. Make it bright, hopeful, inspirational, fun, and exciting. Bring back the classic costume, and if not, at least give us the symbol that the world recognizes :00_superman1:. Showcase all his powers, but also showcase his good nature, not just as a hero, but as a person. Draw from the comics, but don’t make it accessible only to comic book readers. Draw from the Donner movies, but don’t flat out copy them. Simple asks.

3 Likes

Sigh

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/entertainment-celebrity/henry-cavill-responds-to-his-superman-dismissal-then-announces-huge-new-role-more-stars-who-got-fired-from-major-projects/ss-AA10NqoQ

and another Sigh,

> James tweeted that a new Superman project is being developed but that it “will be focusing on an earlier part of Superman’s life, so the character will not be played by Henry Cavill.”

To me this is signaling not a good outlook for the future. An will be some lame coming of age / coming into his powers and what should he do with it all kinda story, similar to Superman Year One ( which I enjoyed but it isn’t in my favorites list ) or maybe a spin off of, Superman Man of Tomorrow, which was okay for a DC animate movie…

Sigh, I just do not have my hopes up.

If it is going to involve Lex Luthor as the main villain, I hope at least, they have Luthor connected to murders, and has Superman in a pickle trying to figure out how to connect him to said murders.

1 Like

I saw some people online, including Grace Randolph from Beyond the Trailer, fancast David Corenswet as Clark Kent/Superman. If you don’t know who he is, he’s from The Politician and Hollywood, both on Netflix.

superman-one

1 Like

They have been fancasting him since before The Politician, partially - I suspect - because he frankly looks quite a bit like what they think a young Henry Cavill looks like, which has been pointed out to them in social groups. Jacob Elordi is another one, and I saw post earlier today or possibly last night on one of the DC subreddits where they even dug out a photograph of Elordi which really doesn’t even look like him and he’s wearing glasses.

I do think either would be fine - especially since both are really tall and I do think that contributed with both Brandon and Christoper’s ability to really achieve the look of the character. I love Tyler and have always really liked his portrayal, particularly his Clark Kent, but definitely his Superman. But it’s not hard to see how the trolls - even with their bad faith opinions on his ethnicity - can be swaying opinions about the DCW Superman when they did show him in pictures with the Jimmy Olson from Supergirl being more than an inch taller, or in the pictures with Brandon as the KC Superman from the Crisis cross-over.

But I certain DC Studios will (as WB did with Routh) pick someone who is less known than either of these actors.

1 Like