Catwomen vs Black Cat

This might be the biggest steal in comic book history. Seriously, black cat is identical to catwomen. Marvel stole catwomen and made it into black cat!

Artists have been borrowing from each other since the beginning of time. If we peel back the layers, we can find some very interesting (perhaps even “stolen”) similarities between Greek and Roman myths and the modern American superhero.
One (Maybe Joseph Campbell, author of The Hero with A Thousand Faces) would argue that there are only 7 basic stories that yarn-spinners tell over and over again with different skins.

It’s important to remember that in every remake, in every imagining, individual creators bring their own unique voice to the work. Let’s respect all creators for being brave enough to try. It’s a hard world out there to make a living in.

Yeah I’m sorry, but the clear similarities cannot be denied.

1 Like

Not really. At the time of Black Cats creation Catwoman was an obscure little used character who bares little resemblance to her modern incarnation.

1 Like

It’s fun to find similarities like these, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be a Marvel v. DC or this artist v. that artist kinda thing.
Just be mindful of what you say and how you say it, if you feel so inclined to post things of this nature!
ALSO: #TeamCatwoman #BlackCatWho

1 Like

I’m not against Marvel. I am a Marvel Fan. It’s just that I feel that Marvel stole Catwomen. #TeamCatwomen

I’ll side with Catwoman.

1 Like

Looking through past interviews, Marv Wolfman has always said he invented the Black Cat for a run on Spider-Woman that ended abruptly when he got handed the job on Spider-Man-- and took all his intended new characters to that assignment. At roughly that time, Len Wein had a reformed and retired Selina Kyle in the role of Bruce Wayne’s girlfriend. Many of the similarities between the two grew as both characters were brought into play by future writers and sequential artists. On the other hand, Selina Kyle first appeared in Batman #1 (the one, the original! 1940!) as just the Cat-- so all ‘feline’ characters invented in her 78 year wake owe her a little bit of an acknowledging nod. Black cat is a great character. Having said that, Catwoman is downright iconic.

1 Like