Cassandra Caine

How is her Batgirl series? How does her portrayal in detective comics rebirth era compare? I never got into the character originally but she seems pretty interesting.

1 Like

It’s great. Read it.

4 Likes

I haven’t read Tynion’s ‘Tec run, mostly because he did an absolutely horrible job with the character in the Eternal series. I had no desire to see that continue twice a month if my favorite Batgirl was going to be treated that way.
Cass’ solo title, by Kelly Puckett, is great, as HCQ said. In particular (because I’m reviewing them on my YouTube show), issues 1-25 are in various ways, some subtle, some less so, a fantastic piece of character development. Like a wonderful poem.

Some Bat user has very strong opinions on this. BatJamags or Batwing or something. You’ll be hearing from him soon, I’m sure.

Yes, Cassie’s solo series is good as a rule.

Post-One Year Later trashes her for awhile but then she partially recovered though she lacked the Batgirl monicker and went as Black Bat for awhile which is kinda lame.

She was wiped in the New 52 but came back eventually. I haven’t read a ton of her New 52 adventures.

She played a big supporting role in Tynion’s Rebirth Detective Comics run. I thought she was handled really well. I don’t know if she’s been used since then.

Hey! I’m wild and unpredictable! You never know what I’m going to do next!

Anyway, I have very strong opinions on this and you’ll be hearing from me now.

Cass’s Batgirl series is a little odd with its more visual style (compounded by not the best art, honestly), but it’s really compelling and builds an amazing personal arc for her. The character has been heavily misused since, but her Rebirth ‘Tec showing is pretty strong.

Frankly, she made the Batgirl identity stand out and make sense far better than Stephanie or even Barbara ever did.

3 Likes

Batgirl and the Rebirth era of Detective Comics are the best things Cass has been featured in.

Give those a read first, then check her other stuff out as you like.

She was also in the Batman and the Outsiders series that began in 2007. Another solid read with her.

1 Like

If it makes you feel any less predictable, BatJamags, you didn’t go on nearly as long of a rant as I expected. I’m a little disappointed. I expected at least four times that much. I’ve heard you let the dark side flow through you and unleash your hate.

BTW, Batman and Robin Eternal is a must read for any Cassandra Cain fan.

8D

8P

1 Like

Eh, I was on my phone. Plus, I channel the Dark Side more when Damian Wayne comes up.

Speaking of the Force, I have felt a disturbance therein, as if one Mr_Morbach cried out in anger, and was not silenced.

3 Likes

BatWatch: “BTW, Batman and Robin Eternal is a must read for any Cassandra Cain fan.”

Get out.

BatJamags: “Speaking of the Force, I have felt a disturbance therein, as if one Mr_Morbach cried out in anger, and was not silenced.”

I’ll admit, that got a hearty laugh out of me. I was going to make a snarky post about how no one seemed to anticipate me ranting about the character (and certain mistakes), but that was a good one, I won’t lie.

3 Likes

Uhh… it’s awesome and totally read it.

I must have mixed up BatJamags and Mr. Morbach. I know I’ve had somebody do a pretty epic rant about how New 52 Cass is a pale imitation of the OG and Harper Rowe is a cancer that should be beaten to death by a crowbar. Something along those lines.

1 Like

For the record, I’ve barely touched Batman and Robin Eternal and have no opinion.

1 Like

I can’t stop reading Batman and Robin Eternal. It’s really good. I was just thinking about how I have to find more Cassandra Caine stuff. And Damian Wayne needs to die harder that Uncle Ben (sorry, Uncle Ben, to drag you into this). If there is anything else I should read for Cassandra Caine or somewhere I can find a list . . .

OMG. Damian Wayne= DW. Arthur anyone? Though I never thought she was that bad to be honest.

1 Like

@BatJamags
I have gone for so much longer about JLD before so I understand long rants.

As for Caine I freaking love her. I feel the best issues are how she deals with relationships being what she is. A living weapon. And the way they set her up too is really good. Straight on in the first issue you really get her character and understand what going through all that must have been like. And it helps the comic that the action is very good, even if the art is not.

It is one of the stories where the character is so compelling and interesting, and the writing is so crisp that it transcends the artwork. It is kind of like Catwoman (2003) in a way, once you take a couple issues to get used to the art and really let it soak in. And much like Catwoman when the art changed styles it lost me because it felt off.

The big takeaway from this lecture, read Catwoman (2003).

Also, in Batman Gotham knights she was in the three issue story “Tabula Rosa” and my hazy memory remembers that being good. It is only three issues though.

3 Likes

@Mr_Morbach I promise as a Cass fan you’ll enjoy Tynion’s solo run more than B&RE. And I hope you’re reading Batman and the Outsiders!

2 Likes

PSA: Cassandra is not related to Michael. There’s no ‘e’ in her last name.

Was going to let this slide, but now multiple people are doing it.

2 Likes

PSA: Cassandra is not related to Michael. There’s no ‘e’ in her last name.

Was going to let this slide, but now multiple people are doing it.

1 Like

@HubCityQuestion If either Tynion’s 'Tec or Bryan Hill’s B&tO started with a complete refutation of the retcons in Eternal, I might’ve given them a shot.
I tolerated a lot of stupid, pointless, and detrimental changes from DC, but Cass is where I drew the line. Maybe some people don’t care about origins, but the new one was absolutely horrible and a complete insult to both the character and the reader.
A serial killer’s name does not speak to who Cassandra is.

I just recently (talking 3-4yrs recent in comic universe) got into Cassandra & I absolutely

love her. When she makes an appearance in something I’m reading now unexpectedly

it’s like Larry Fishburne showing up as Cowboy Curtis on Pee Wees playhouse.

Such a nice unexpected surprise.

1 Like

Batman & Robin Eternal was excellent if you’re a Cassandra fan it’s a no miss imho.