Cassandra Cain Batgirl Sketches From the Archives

I came across a whole bunch of sketches I did back in 1999. I think that’s when Cassandra Cain Batgirl had her first appearance. I didn’t realize I drew so much of her until I put it all together.
All of these were done with just pencil and ink on paper.

Some good, some not so good, but I thought I’d share. Tell me what you think!

12 Likes

A few more…

9 Likes

Last batch.

10 Likes

Oh, one more. Does anyone remember the comic book history behind this? Why did I have the Huntress holding Cassie’s costume? I honestly don’t remember the details anymore.

10 Likes

great stuff… much respect.

5 Likes

ok this is kind of rambling. in No mans land it was huntress costume originally, she dressed as batgirl cause batman was awol and she and babs were really the only bats in no mans land, anyhow Commisioner gordon was mad someone else was batgirl(he and bruce got in fight this event multiple reasons) hunteress annoy batman/get on his bad side so he say she have to stop being batgirl, Bruce now back give costume to Cass who had been working as informant with Babs, once they find out Cass is awesome ninja assasin.hunteresss goes back to being hunteress teams up with these kind of crazy cop guy and eventually gains bats respect/ pride for facing down joker alone.

7 Likes

Those are pretty freaking awesome.

5 Likes

These are awesome™:+1:.
Really like the cape movements.

3 Likes

Oh, these are great!

5 Likes

Thank you so much! I knew someone would help refresh my memory.

No Man’s Land was such a huge, sprawling epic. Thanks for helping me remember those good times (20+ years ago!).

3 Likes

@comp.LEX , @JEREMY_of_218 , @mercurie80 - Thanks! It’s very much appreciated. I’ve just been getting back into drawing again the past few months and I’m still trying to match the clean lines I had going all those years ago. At least working digitally now I can erase a lot easier.

@NYJt3 - Thanks, I was really fascinated by the cape work of George Perez (still am, too). I was reminded of these pics when I was trying to put the Superman cape together for the Superman/Lois challenge. I need to relearn some of the tricks I was using here.

5 Likes