Can someone give me a good lesser known Batman storyline that I can read?

I’m right now reading Knightfall

1 Like

Recent, but the Black Mirror kind of flies under the radar.

Good choice.

Tony Daniel’s run on Batman was good. It’s composed of different arcs though and starts at #691.

Black Mirror and the Brubaker era. Also Gotham Central.

If you’re looking for single stories, make sure to read Detective Comics #439 and 457 if you never have.

If you’re looking for longer arcs, then start at Detective Comics #497 and Batman #337 to read some great Gerry Conway stories. (You’ll want to read Steve Engelhart’s run in Detective Comics #469-476 first if you haven’t.) The two titles essentially become one book with Detective #510 and Batman #344. A story will start in one book and then carry into the other, so you’ll have to read them back and forth. This trend continues into the solid Doug Moench run that begins with Batman #360/Detective #527 and ends with Detective #566/Batman #400, concluding the pre-Crisis Batman era.

From there, jump to Detective Comics #569 for the beginning of Mike Barr’s early post-Crisis run, which includes the story Batman: Year Two and which arguably depicts the best version of Jason Todd (who was first introduced by Gerry Conway at the very end of his above-mentioned run). Barr leaves the book with Detective #581, but we don’t have to wait long before getting Alan Grant’s highly-lauded run that starts with Detective #583 and then goes between stints on Detective, Batman, and Shadow of the Bat up to the events of Knightfall.

1 Like

Have a few and will probably have a few more :blush:

-Batman: Broken City
-Batman: Lovers and Madmen (available here in the Batman Confidential series)
-Legends of The Dark Knight series
-Scarecrow: Year One
-Gotham Central (not Batman focused but still one of the greatest Batman-related series)
-Batman Chronicles: The Gauntlet

From the Start Reading Batman article in the News Section April 11 2019

Strange Apparitions

THE STORY. This classic run of
Bronze Age Batman stories
features the Dark Knight going
up against mob boss Rupert
Thorne, mad professor Hugo
Strange, and the Clown Prince
of Crime himself The Joker. It also introduces Silver St. Cloud, setting up Bruce
Wayne’s first truly adult
romance.

The team of writer
Steve Englehart and artist
Marshall Rogers didn’t have a
very long run on Detective
Comics, but in their short time
together they wound up
producing some of Batman’s
most memorable Bronze Age
stories. This thrilling run of
stories also features the work of famed writer Len Wein and
celebrated artist Walt
Simonson.

FOR FANS OF This is a run of comics that Batman: The Animated Series fans will
love. Many elements from this
era, including mob boss Rupert
Thorne, helped build the status
quo for the TV favorite. And
devotees won’t regret checking out the tales that inspired their favorite cartoon.

WHERE TO FIND IT Writer
Steve Englehart comes on board with Detective Comics #469-479, but things really get
cooking when artist Marshall
Rogers joins him for issue #471 through the team’s fınal issue, #476.

BONUS: Check out the Batman: The AnimatedSeries episode The Laughing Fish which adapts Detective Comics #475.

Legends of the Dark Knight (2012) 25-26 and 61-62.

I mentioned Legends of the Dark Knight in my list but I’ll break down some of the main stories to check out.

-Gothic
-Venom
-Prey
-Turf
-Faces

The New Legends of the Dark Knight series (2012) is also full of great stories too.

1 Like

There were also a couple hidden gems in Detective Comics from the N52. The Icarus storyline with Francis Manapul was great, and had beautiful artwork of course. Then there’s the two-parter “Terminal” (#35 & #36) which was really great.

While we’re on the subject of hidden gems from N52 I’d definitely check out at least the first arc of Tomasi & Gleason’s Batman & Robin, if you haven’t already.

1 Like

Tomasi came up with an amazing story for his first arc of Batman and Robin. Then, the famine came.

I still thought there was some good stuff in there after. His Death of the Family issue is definitely a highlight. Gleason did some amazing pencils in that issue too. And the silent issue following Damian’s death is one of the best single issues from the N52.

1 Like

Batman: Ten Nights of the Beast. It’s the first appearance of the KGBeast and a great story!

Meh on the silent issue. Haven’t read it in awhile. Maybe it’s better than I remember.

It’s great. And was pretty universally praised. Definitely worth revisiting.

I’m going to go ahead and say Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka on Batman and Detective Comics, respectively. Not enough people have read these and they are easily my favorite Batman era. Everyone has read and loved Gotham Central and these books are more good stories by the same creators in the same vein just, you know, with Batman. Also good are the first arc of Shadow of the Bat, The Batman Adventures (1992) #3, and The Laughing Fish (Detective #475-476).

The Wood man was good for a lesser known.

Sorry it’s called made of wood just read it the villain is the wood man it’s detective comics #784; #785 & #786. Alan Scott teams up with bats to solve a murder that Scott never solved when he was protector of Gotham.