Camelot 3000

Any fans of Camelot 3000? I always felt like this series would make a cool tv show or movie.

5 Likes

I’m a huge fan. Not to speak for someone else. However, I know @DeSade-acolyte is right with me on loving it too.

3 Likes

Calling all Mike W. Barr fans…

4 Likes

Right here.

4 Likes

I mean, one of my secret motivations for creating a book club was to get people to read Mike Barr comics. So, you know…

The special thing about Camelot 3000 is that it’s one of the few “medieval story set in the future” tales that isn’t a total groaner.

5 Likes

Right on…I went into Camelot 3000 completely blind. Just saw it on here & read it the day it dropped on this platform. Blown away, couldn’t believe I’d never heard of it or had it recommended b4.

5 Likes

True I can’t really think of a medieval story in the future that works aside from it.

4 Likes

One of my all-time favorites. I sold off most of my trades a few years ago, because how many times was I going to reread them, particularly with services like DCU. Still have Camelot 3000. Why isn’t this an HBOMax series? It has everything, action, comedy, tragedy, romance. This could be GoT with less blood and a better ending!

5 Likes

Not to mention my deep love for Morgaine le Fey. When she popped up…I was in: no matter what.

4 Likes

@capo-mage is correct, I absolutely love this book. It’s always in my top 5 recommendations, especially to anybody who is into SciFi or Fantasy genres.

Beyond being a great story with great art, it has great significance in comics history.

It was the first direct market title. Meaning it was only available to comic shops. No newsstands or spinner racks in Woolworths. It is the comic that tested if direct to comic shops only books would sell.

It was also the first comic to use Baxter paper. They heavier, less bleed type of paper than the old pulp newsprint paper that had been used for decades. It is a major reason why the vibrancy of the colors works so well.

So when you read it, you are also reading one of the more important books in the history of the comics industry.

A classic and historical masterwork.

Why it’s never been made into an animated series or animated feature film is unexplainable.

5 Likes

Nailed it.

3 Likes

Curious now what are the other 4 recommendations?

1 Like

I LOVE Mike W. Barr!!!

2 Likes

Did you include this statement when @TravisMorgan had the “you might be old if…” thread going?

2 Likes

It’s almost like you’re saying one of my all-time favorites is historically important…hmm…

2 Likes

I would have said Ben Franklin’s but same thing

2 Likes

I don’t recall, but probably.

2 Likes

Crisis in infinite earths
Watchmen
GL/GA road trip across America by O’Neill and Adams.
Camelot 3000
The Great Darkness Saga

Those are my top 5 series/arcs and each of them is significant in comics history.

The Great Darkness Saga probably isn’t that important historically except for proving “Darkseid is.”

1 Like

I love Camelot 3000. Bought the original issues back in the 80s. I remember talking about the story with my aunt and uncle and they thought it really sounded cool…until I told them it was a comic book. :grinning: But, we the nerds have kinda won. Technology and Superheroes rule the world!

3 Likes

A sadly forgotten gem, certainly. I’m a sucker for Arthurian lore. It’s too bad no one in power seems to have any regard for it.

2 Likes